Vg30 Swap Questions

jj big shoe

I got a used engine stand to put it on and I had a question about how to mount it. The stand just has the four tubes to run the bolts through. I don't need a plate or anything else, right? Just run some M10 x 1.5 bolts through the tubes and into the four holes on the upper half of the block, right? Seems like a lot of weight for the bolts to hold since they're all on the upper half, so I thought I'd ask.

Also, I'm planning on porting the old heads and installing a reground cam from Schneider Cams, so I've got a couple questions about that, too.

First, whaddaya think about regrinding Nissan cams? Is the lobe surface harder than the rest of the cam? If you regrind it will your lifters be riding on the same type of hardened metal like before?

Schneider Camsoffers a few different grinds for the VG30. Does it look like their #17072 would be a close substitute for the JWT S1 cams? The intake and exhaust durations are a bit different, but the lift is the same. I don't know for cams, so could someone who does let me know?

Also, would it be a bad idea to use my old cams for the regrind? They've got about 210k on them. I could use the ones from the new motor, about 25k on those, but that opens up a whole other hassle with swapping stuff and I don't really want to go that route.

Thanks for the info.

I have many of the same questions too. I think your best bet is going to be asking on a different forum. N4W would probly be best. or AC if your not a hater. not many ppl here are really into "bigger" mods then simple bolt ons.

Actually, Ill copy/paste this on AC and see what happens

Yeah, but I added a few more questions, smartie pants. Plus the only person on this board as far as I can recall that has different cams is Maritime Man and he's got the JWTs and is at sea half the time so I prolly wouldn't get the info I wanted anyway.

Anyway, I found a local shop that will regrind mine to whatever I'd like. He says a regrind is fine as long as you don't try to go too wild with it. He's been doing cams for 20 years, from restoring antique cars to top-fuel dragsters so I'm going to trust that he knows his stuff.