VG30i S/C discussion

jj big shoe

There's a thread on s12.com with a guy swapping a S/C VG30 into his 200sx. Not a lot of info, but he's got pics of it mounted on the motor before the swap and after. At least you can get an idea of what it might look like all bolted up in a Pathy.

IIRC, the biggest problems L&P discovered with the prototype they made were the use of a pulley instead of a gear which let the S/C slip too much and they had a hard time with fuel delivery when mounting the TB sideways on the end of the intake. I think they might have been looking at using a stock timing belt along with crank and cam pulleys to combat the slippage, but I don't know their idea on how to mount the TB so it's level. I think that kinda stuff could be easily sorted out, though.

Does anyone know what other problems there might be with supercharging a VG30i? I thought the stock ECU, injectors, fuel pump, etc. were all capable of running 6-7lbs of boost without modification, right?

What I'd like to do here is get a discussion going about what it would really take to do this.

if I had an extra $200 laying around I would have an M90 on my truck. thats how easy I think it is. ive looked into it and it really doesnt seem hard at all.

stock VG30i ECU and fuel system can handle 8 pounds no problem. probly push it to 10. Lee had his "miledly tuned" ECU running 12 pounds. stock fuel sys.

as far as im concerend if they were to get the belt to rap around the SC pulley abit more alot of slipage would be taken care of. LP only had at best 1/3 of the pully, if you could get the belt to come strait up, then strait down(so 1/2 of the pulley was used) there would be alot more belt touching. but no matter what there will still be slipage in a Vbelt.

I never though about the stock Tbelt gears. thats a pretty good idea. like to get a discussion on this.

LP mounted the TB behind and up of the SC. making the whole system taller. when the TB was on its side fuel would puddle in the tube, right after the TB. when throttel was apllied the SC would pull that puddle in causing weird throttle response and interesting ideling problems. AFAIK if you were driving the truck on the road you would never know this cause the charger would simply pull the fuel in. I was thinking of mounting the TB on its side still, but have it at a slight angle down so any puddle would be drawn in by gravity.

I was/am planning on making all the adaptors out of steel to start then once I found a system that worked I would mill them out of alum. This way it wont really cost anything to make modifications in the beggining.

• 2 weeks later...

Won an M90 off of Ebay a few days ago. guy doesnt ship to Canada so its going to ND and ill be making abit of a drive when it gets there. Real busy with school lately and was hoping to get a charger before spring break so I could tinker. but I looks like I will be getting it in a week or two. sooo, probly wont have much time to toy with this thing till early summer. but im trying!

The only thing im worried about is the belt system. im going to do a Vbelt to start. but ultimatly would like to have a cogged system. Want im unsure of is pully size. to have say, a 2:1 ratio, that means for every turn of the crank, the SC will turn 2 times, right?