two questions

milehighcowboy

i have a 92 Pathfinder i am trying to figure out how big my gas tank is. and what my approxamate milage is. the farthest i have gone on a tank is 222 miles. and the fuel light did not come on. also i recently found a blinking green light under my passenger front seat. i have never noticed this before. and was not informed of it when i bought it. what the hell is it. the writing has been scratched off. whats it used for? is it even stock? thanks for the help.

Ben

your tank can hold about 21.1 gallons...so let's say you've used 16 gallons (since your light didn't turn on) on that 220 mile drive...i'd say you're averaging around 14 mpg.

that little green light under your passenger seat is from your ECU, it's the diagnostic LED...maybe the previous owner set it to diagnostic mode and never set it back?

so then what is the ECU? is the light bad? and how do i get it to go off? the guy who owned the truck before me could not have set it. he was a dumb ass and knew nothing of the truck. i knew more about it than he did and he owned it for 8 years. i have never owned one. so ya you get my point.

so then what is the ECU?  is the light bad? and how do i get it to go off?  the guy who owned the truck before me could not have set it. he was a dumb ass and knew nothing of the truck.  i knew more about it than he did and he owned it for 8 years.  i have never owned one.  so ya you get my point.

the ECU is an Engine/Electronic Control Unit. It controls and monitors almost all critical functions of your truck, such as emissions, ignition system, transmission, engine, etc.

The light can be bad or good, it's a light that should blink a number of times to give you a certain trouble code (each code represents a different malfunction...a code of 55 says that there is no malfunction). go to the link below to see what your situation is.

Now i'm not sure if it should keep on blinking green when in non-diagnostic mode, but you can look at this LINK so that you can get an idea about what the ecu is and how that blinking light works. See if the ECU is in diagnostic mode or not.

Edited by QuismO

i am trying to figure out how big my gas tank is. and what my approxamate milage is.
You don't have to run the tank dry to figure out mileage. Just completely fill the tank and start counting miles. Then once you get gas again count how many gallons it takes to completely fill the tank again and divide that by miles driven. Prolly 12 to 14 mpg, though.

quismo that helps a lot. maybe it will help me figure out why my throtle is so $#&%ed up. it gets all irrelgular and stuff when it is at oppersting temp. dont do it when i press the pedal only when i sit at lights and let go of the pedal when rolling. its dumb. and a pian i dont think its good either.