Suspension overhaul

My original suspension is quite worn out at 122k miles. I'm looking to overhaul my suspension, but I'm not looking for a lift. From some searching here it seems that almost any suspension (i.e. struts/shocks, coils, and OEM strut mounting hardware) will run $550-600 with shop labor. I'm looking for some insight on what specific parts to buy. I've read good things about KYB GR-2 struts and will most likely go with those unless someone else has another suggestion, and obviously go for OEM strut mounting hardware, but what's reasonable for coils? Car stays on pavement 95% of the time, I can't go far offroad with a 2WD, open diff, and highway tires. Car does some light towing (jetski, small u-haul trailer possibly), maybe once a year, if that, and other than the rear shocks bottoming out nothing awful about the stock stuff. Would it be feasible to reuse my original coils, or buy new OEM ones, or get something aftermarket? OEM springs seem to be $118.20 each at Courtesy Parts, are aftermarket springs cheaper and better?

aftermarket springs are less expensive, at least the OME coils are. unfortunately, there aren't any stock height aftermarket/better coils. i'm not looking for a lift either, but i'll be getting the MD OME coils all around. it'll provide a slight lift (i would think a little less than 1" for the MD coils once it settles in). you can always go with LD/stock load, which will give you 0.5" of lift. i'll be going MD mostly because i'd like the suspension to be able to take a bit more weight (i.e. passengers, stuff that i'm carrying, or maybe even a payload) and not sag too much.

i've also heard nothing but good things about the GR2s for the front struts. it's kind of surprising, to be honest, because GR2s (as far as for sport compact cars) are factory replacement types of struts/shocks. not sure if they're modeled any different for truck applications, but that's my familiarity with them and i never used them for my sport cars, but rather the AGXs. again, it could be for different applications. i'll be going with OME shocks in the rear because i also hear very good things about them, and they appear to be a very stout looking shock and well priced.

What about the AC medium duty 1/2" lift coils? Those seem reasonably priced. So GR-2s are almost a unanimous decision it seems here on NPORA, what are the "preferred" rear struts? Are KYB Gas-A-Just struts decent? And do the rear struts require any replacement mounting hardware? What's the required replacement mounting hardware for the struts? Just mounts, bearings, and upper spacers?

Edited by Towncivilian

What about the AC medium duty 1/2" lift coils? Those seem reasonably priced. So GR-2s are almost a unanimous decision it seems here on NPORA, what are the "preferred" rear struts? Are KYB Gas-A-Just struts decent? And do the rear struts require any replacement mounting hardware? What's the required replacement mounting hardware for the struts? Just mounts, bearings, and upper spacers?

AC Medium Duty?

AHHH, looking at the Sku Numbers, it looks like Automotive Customizers is now selling OME (old man emu) by ARB. Alot of people here on the Forum are using OME. Hence, the great debate from every new person that joins this site, WHICH LIFT KIT SHOULD I GO WITH AC or OME?

you don't have rear struts. they're rear shocks.

and i haven't looked at AC's site lately about the MD coils in question, but i'd concur with OTR96 that they're the same, OME coils.

I just bought some KYB GR2 struts,KYB gas-a-just shocks, and KYB strut bump stops for my 1996 Pathfinder at partsgeek.com

The price was even better than advanceautoparts.com with a 20% discount and free shipping.

I have a question though since I need the strut mounts and bearing from courtesyparts.com

What parts exactly do I need from Nissan besides the ones I already bought?

Edited by rick88ss