The exhaust topic

The Drift

So I'd like to re-do my my exhaust at as low a cost I can, but at a decent quality.

I've found that there are really no good bolt on exhaust systems for the R50. Essentially I just want stock cats and a Flowmaster 40 or 50 series. I would like to replace as much of the stock piping as possible as well as much of it is fairly corroded. What do you guys think my best bet would be? Go to an exhaust shop and have something welded up? Order the Flowmaster myself to get it cheaper and take it to an exhaust shop to get welded up? With everything else I'v owned it's always been as simple as ordering a good quality bolt on kit. Doesn't seem to be the case here. I really want to get this done by winter though. Any ideas? Cost estimates?

My brother got a cat back system for his 99 QX4 custom made with stainless and a Magnaflow muffler with dual tips for about $350. sounds pretty good to me.

Not bad, I had a magnaflow on one of my cars that I loved. It held up brilliantly too. How do the dual tips look? Hopefully not to cheesy. And where did he get it? How does it sound?

Not bad, I had a magnaflow on one of my cars that I loved. It held up brilliantly too. How do the dual tips look? Hopefully not to cheesy. And where did he get it? How does it sound?

The dual tips look nice, kind of a rounded square look. The tone is really low at idle, but has a nice low growl under load. He got it done at a place called Quality muffer here in Olympia. I think it looks pretty good. I figured I would link the other guy over here thinking he would understand to just have a new system welded in. Once upon a time, there was a bolt on system from HKS, but I cant find it anymore. Search, then shop around. I will have to take some pics of my brothers exhaust and post it.

i dunno exactly what the R50's look like underneath, but i had a sop install aFM 50 series and 2.5" pipe through and had him bend allt he pipe si it sat higher and had a better ground clearance/shape to it .. welcome to costifornia..... $400 for everything. :huh:

• 3 weeks later...