The Brakes

crezman

Hello,

I believe my 99.5 Pathy is ready for a brake job, but before I go in and spend a lot of money, I would like to know if there's anyway I can know (without taking the brakes apart myself, which I can't do) if I need more than brake pads.

The r50 has always had a rocking (not grinding or screeching) sound when applying the brakes, like a bed squeeking that moves in motion with the body. Like something hasn't been oiled. Could this be the brakes or something else?

I know it's going to need the pads replaced, but if there's more like the rotors, etc., I'd like to have some fore knowledge before I go into the shop.

Thanks,

Chris

Being that you didn't state how many miles you have on your rig, it's possible you may need rotors due to age. Your rig may have had a brake job or two done before. The shop should be able to take a measurement of the thickness of the rotor and compare to repair limits. At the least, they should machine them, you just don't want them too thin. Ask for some specs to be recorded. It's possible the slides on the caliper are gummed up. Good techs will pull them apart quick and lube them up. Ask to see what the tech did before he puts the wheels back on.

Thanks for responding 5523Pathfinder. I have done more research and determined that indeed the whole brake system needs replacing. I'm the second owner and am friends with the first and they replaced the brakes once, so I'm guessing the rotors have never been replaced and it has 240k on it, so it is indeed time for everything to go.

Thanks again,

Chris