How to get rear power outlet to work?

I know it's a random question, but since I got my Pathfinder my rear power outlet (the one in the back of the center console facing the back seats) has never worked. It's really irritating because I have my radar detector using the front power outlet, so my phone charger gets shafted. It would be so much nicer if the rear outlet worked.

What do I need to check/replace?

Why do you need a radar detector in a Pathy???? Speed limit 60 do 64 no problems...

Limit 70 do 74 or find a little rabbit to run point for you...

Not that this helps, but it is what I do...

Edited by Casey.T

Why do you need a radar detector in a Pathy???? Speed limit 60 do 64 no problems...

Limit 70 do 74 or find a little rabbit to run point for you...

Not that this helps, but it is what I do...

I always do 9 over, maybe a little more. Plus I do a little "spirited" driving around town, it's nice to know where cops are, at least the one's who leave their radar gun on.

In the four years I've been driving, I've never gotten a ticket. Knock on wood; the radar is a big part of it.

Denton,

Check out this How-To -> http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=8572 <- It's to modify the relay for the fog lights, but theres some extra steps that make the rear power outlet always-hot. It might help.

Could also be your relay is burnt out, or missing. Or, maybe a fuse?

Cool, thanks for the link Venge.

And I'm not stupid about it, I'll promise you that. Track schools have helped immensely. Also the Pathfinder is one of the most neutral/predictable handling SUVs out there, I've never felt out of control (well, except in a slippery intersection) but that's because of the worn suspension.

I'm not a hazard and I'm not a jackass on the roads, I'm very respectful. If I had a lifted Pathfinder like yours I'd drive a hell of a lot slower!

i neve rhave my radar detector on when i get pulled over...

In the 19k miles I've put on the Pathfinder I haven't gotten pulled over in it. Not once.

And the radar is part of it.

I drive like a grandma around town, party to save gas, and partly because everyone else around here drives like crap and I wanna make sure I can stop without hitting them WHEN, not IF, they pull out in front of me and then take 10 minutes to get to 20 mph when the speed limit is 45. Interstate is another story....75-80 minumum. And that's just to keep from getting run over by the Semis!

I've only gotten pulled over twice in the Pathy in nearly 90,000 miles (across 23 states) in it. Once was for expired tags, which werent expired...it turned out the cop just needed to get his eyes checked and didnt read it right....and one was a bogus right-turn on red. There was no sign! Didn't get a ticket in either case....

It helps with the manual...you couldn't pay me to get a VG33 automatic. No offense, just not responsive enough.

With a manual I can fully exploit the power band. I rarely go over 4k rpm, since the meat is between 2.5k and 4k. It's the old method of 3/4 throttle but a high gear. On the highway at 80 I still get 260 miles to a tank. If I keep it the truck will get 265/75s and manual hubs, which will bring the revs down a tad and reduce friction. Hopefully I can get to 280 miles to a tank!

I'll save it for another thread, but my shifter is sloppy. When it's in gear I can wiggle it almost an inch! Shifting feels like a stick in a bowl of oatmeal. pssd

How many gallons is it taking when you fill up at ~260?

On my trip out to Phoenix, I had my gas can filled up and I decided to see just how far I could go on a tank....so I set the cruise at 70 and let it rock n roll.

Then I saw a sign that said "Check your gas...next gas 100 miles." So I stopped.

The trip odometer was at 345mi. That was fully loaded, too. Ok...granted this was in Kansas and there was a slight tailwind...It took just shy of 20 gallons then.

How many gallons is it taking when you fill up at ~260?

On my trip out to Phoenix, I had my gas can filled up and I decided to see just how far I could go on a tank....so I set the cruise at 70 and let it rock n roll.

Then I saw a sign that said "Check your gas...next gas 100 miles." So I stopped.

The trip odometer was at 345mi. That was fully loaded, too. Ok...granted this was in Kansas and there was a slight tailwind...It took just shy of 20 gallons then.

19.4 gallon tank. Usual fillup is a little less than 17 gallons, and that's driving with the gas light that comes on about 30 miles before empty.

You're getting really good gas mileage, that's surprising. The revs are what kills my mileage. At 76 mph I'm at 3450 RPM. That's where I'm hoping the taller tires will knock that down a bit.

So 260/17= 15.3 :crazy:

That's not good. EPA is 16/18. Hmm... new plugs, probably a bad cat, O2s were good at 100k but not sure now after all the blowby.

I'll have to look into that. But we'll see what happens in a month when we decide to keep it or not. :shrug:

Gas mileage and sticks and engines? :hide:

Thats funny, my rear outlet quit working about 2 weeks ago. I havent checked into it yet. They should be under the same fuse and i dont have any blown but maybe there is another fuse under the console. i keep putting off fixing it but i want to this weekend. I was considering making it hot all the time if i cant find the problem right away. my guess is there is another fuse under the centerconsole. when mine went out i was charging/watching a portable dvd player. If it is the outlet itself i have the exact same outlet that snapps in place that i 'accidently' brought some home for work. I make nissan interior parts. It was wired to lose power in it and even wierder that i was going to ask if anyone has had this problem and someone else asked befor i could!

Gas mileage and sticks and engines? :hide:

Thats funny, my rear outlet quit working about 2 weeks ago. I havent checked into it yet. They should be under the same fuse and i dont have any blown but maybe there is another fuse under the console. i keep putting off fixing it but i want to this weekend. I was considering making it hot all the time if i cant find the problem right away. my guess is there is another fuse under the centerconsole. when mine went out i was charging/watching a portable dvd player. If it is the outlet itself i have the exact same outlet that snapps in place that i 'accidently' brought some home for work. I make nissan interior parts. It was wired to lose power in it and even wierder that i was going to ask if anyone has had this problem and someone else asked befor i could!

Haha, that's pretty funny.

I was adding oil today, and noticed that in the fuse box there is a "power socket 2" 15A fuse. Well, at least there should be, because mine isn't there. Probably the "handyman" P... PO.

I don''t have a 15A fuse nor a dollar to my name, so I'll have to wait to drop one in. But methinks since it was removed before that it's blowing the fuse. Wonder why... :shrug:

If it was indeed blowing the fuse, maybe it's shorted out or grounding out...

Pull the socket out of the console and see what it looks like inside of it. If it's all burnt up lookin, then you need to replace it. It's also possible that the P.O. was using it to power something that was over the maximum load of the socket and it kept popping the fuse that way.

If you can get your hands on a fuse, toss one in there and see what it does. :shrug:

All Pathfinders are SUPPOSED to have a 21.1 (WD21) or 21.4 (R50) fuel tank.

Nissan made them so the fuel light comes on wicked early. If I fill up right when it gets to E and the fuel light comes on, it'll take anywhere from 16.8-17.2 gallons. Never more than 17.4.

When I ran it dry, it took 21.26 gallons, but I'm sure my volume is slightly smaller because of the little dent...heh.

So, Denton, have you had any luck with the power outlet?

Haven't really looked into it, I'm poor and been busy changing my major here at school. That reminds me though, later this afternoon I'll pick up a 15A fuse and go from there.

Thanks!

All Pathfinders are SUPPOSED to have a 21.1 (WD21) or 21.4 (R50) fuel tank.

Nissan made them so the fuel light comes on wicked early. If I fill up right when it gets to E and the fuel light comes on, it'll take anywhere from 16.8-17.2 gallons. Never more than 17.4.

When I ran it dry, it took 21.26 gallons, but I'm sure my volume is slightly smaller because of the little dent...heh.

yea i'd believe it. i drove with the empty light on for quite a bit and finally reversed my car into my buddy's driveway (a very steep one too). i then started her back up and the engine bogged and died because of no fuel. so i coasted her down onto the street to get onto a level surface so that the fuel would level out. started right up with enough fuel to get to the closest gas station (about 2 miles). 20.2 gallons from the pump at that point.

bad i know...but at least now i know how long i can run on an empty light =P

as for your 15A fuse for the rear socket...mine was missing too when i bought the car...but it was used so maybe the first owner removed it for whatever reason (i know he had 2 toddlers.

Ahh, cool, what are you changing from/to?

I went through that about 2 years ago, it can be a hassle, that's for sure.

Just changed from Business Marketing to Journalism. I'll probably do a minor or a double major in Psychology.

PITA.

I put a new 15A fuse in and nothing, still doesn't work. :shrug: