Airbag computer

SaKaNa

Mines... shorted out, I got a TON of water under my dash and now that pesky red AIR BAGS light flashes non-stop, my mechanic says the comp is shot.... anyone got any? If so, I;ll buy one (at reasonable price) on the 22nd (just after next time I get paid)...

on the topic of this, how hard will it be to replace it?

with your drivers door open turn your key as far as you can without starting it. then hit the button that the door hits when you close it 7 times as fast as you can. wait 1 to 2 seconds and take the key out. now you might have fixed the problem if the computer is fine. I bet the mechenics would do this and charge you for a computer. If it dont work, you might need a new one after all but since it is flashing and not on solid, there is hope, just means it had a small problem.

Anyone.... If i said the sequence wrong, PLEASE correct me or if you wanna do a search on this site or 4x4 parts do so. I know i read it on one of these pages and fixed me buddys dad fronty. He was so happy! It has been doing it for years!

Oh and a ton of water is alot, Your suspension isnt rated to haul that much so you should get it checked out too! :rolleyes:

I didnt DRIVE with it full of water, once we pulled it out with an F250 I opened the doors and let everything drain out :P

It was so deep in water I thought it'd never start... it somehow managed to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the sequence you were referring to? I found it on the Nissan-Infiniti forum.

My airbag light just started flashing yesterday so that's why I am trying to research a quick, inexpensive fix.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before we start, look at the ignition cylinder (where you put in the key), there are numbers and names for all the positions. Like (3) says ON, and as you see, there isn't a number between the LOC and ACC position. Lets call this the (1) postion. Ok, open the door and you'll see a little black switch on the inside part of the car, it's where the door connects when you close it. Everytime you close the door, it pushes this switch down and when you open the door, the switch causes the inside door lights to illuminate. When the switch is pushed down, the door lights cease to illuminate. Found it? Ok, here we go:

-While the car is off, open the door, and turn the key to the (3) position and press the door side switch at LEAST 5 times within 7 seconds (persnally, I just kept pushing the switch as many times as I could during 7 seconds)

-After doing that, wait one second

-Now move the key to the (1) position (between LOCK & Accesory)

-Close the door, move the key back to the LOCK position and then start the engine

If you timed it correctly, then the light should remain off

If it's still on, might want to try it again. If it still doesn't work, then it's definately a problem with the airbag module.

What I did was gently touch the wires under the passanger seat. One of the wires was for the airbag sensor. I guess when the wire was touched out of place, it triggered the light, so I just fiddled with it, then I tried the reset trick and it worked for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the web site I found this at, it has lots of good info!

http://www.nissan-infiniti-forum.com/cgi-b...opic/48/56.html

UPDATE: I just performed the steps above successfully. The airbag light is no

longer blinking! Here's the key - the five presses have to be done right when you

turn the key to "3" or "on". If you wait until the airbag light begins to blink, you

will not successfully enter the diagnostic and it won't reset properly. Just keep

trying, it took me 4 or 5 attempts.

Edited by dkpath96

i figured i had the sequence wrong but when i tried it on my buddys dads truck it worked but i just got the sequence off the forum befor i tried. i could not remember what it was offhand but im pretty sure that is the one. try it. it took me a few times to get it right. I wasnt waiting long enough befor i started and befor i took out the key.

• 7 months later...

I realize this is an older thread, but my airbag light is on. It stays solid for 3 seconds then flashes twice (not really quickly, kinda lazily). Repeat ad nauseum.

This just happened today, as it came back from the shop after having new balljoints, swaybar end links, and steering put in. I noticed it on the way home and took it back to the shop. They said they couldn't find anything wrong (I trust them).

Could they have knocked a sensor or wire loose while they were up there? Is there anything I should check before I reset the light? Having my airbag go off randomly (not likely) or not go off when I need it (possible?) is not my favourite idea.

Thanks

Easiest solution:

Go to a store and get some construction paper (you need black). Cut out a 1x1 inch square. Take the entire instrument panel out... Take the clear plastic off the front, and lift the top plastic-paper thing that the tachometer's numbers are on. Tape the black paper right underneath the "AIR BAG" thing. Put it back together and start your engine.

Betcha that lights not flashing at you anymore.

Yep, thats how I fixed mine. And to fix my Check Engine light, I popped the bulb out.

I realize this is an older thread, but my airbag light is on. It stays solid for 3 seconds then flashes twice (not really quickly, kinda lazily). Repeat ad nauseum.

This just happened today, as it came back from the shop after having new balljoints, swaybar end links, and steering put in. I noticed it on the way home and took it back to the shop. They said they couldn't find anything wrong (I trust them).

Could they have knocked a sensor or wire loose while they were up there? Is there anything I should check before I reset the light? Having my airbag go off randomly (not likely) or not go off when I need it (possible?) is not my favourite idea.

Thanks

You say you had steering work done....it's possible that the air bag coil spring in the steering column was damaged.

It is the fault of the shop, make them fix it or take them to court.