Diesel Swaps

Just thought I would check in and see if anyone is interested. I know a guy who has an importing license who can bring back a crapload of turbo diesel pathfinder engines (front cuts). They would have all of the accessories, wire harness, turbo, etc. Basically everything from the dash forward. They would cost around 2k shipped to the us, but if there are enough to fill a container it would be a bit cheaper. So...who would be interested? BTW, you'll need to live in an area without emissions...like me. haha.

Edit: this is definitely not for the weak of heart or those with little mechanical experience.

Edited by turbopath

I'd love to do a diesel swap. :P Unfortunatly....I don't have much experience with diesels, I live in an area with emissions, my Pathfinder is my daily driver, and I'm putting every cent into this lift (with the exception of the ARB!). If you completed it and showed everyone it was possible, I'm sure other people would be willing. There are LOTS of parts that need to be changed out when swapping to the diesel.

I knew this day would arrive! people have been inporting the "front clip' sections of jdm cars for ages now and swapping the motors. Now what is really cool is that All the parts you need are already included in the front cut! A good clip should actually run as long as you could get pressureised fuel to the motor.....but that should be easier possibley if the desil engine has a mechenical fuel pump.

Now here is the possible problem. Like in many of the engine swaps avabiable for cars, Some times the turbo stuff or various other stuff gets in the way due to ours being left hand drive. The steering stuff is somethimes in the way. For example, it is possible to put a rb26dett in a jdm s-13 but but extreamly difficult to put it in a lhd usdm s-13. yea the motor isnt coming out of a s 13 but but goes right in the rhd one.

I know im comparing apples to oranges but it is just something to think about.

ya, something always goes wrong with swaps...that's why I say it's not for the faint of heart. haha. I'll find out what would have to be modified. I'm betting it will be ok because the diesel also came in the mexican lhd pathfinders. I'd actually rather get my paws on a navara/terrano because importing would be significantly easier.

Edited by turbopath

Aren't the diesel Terranos in Canada left hand drive too?

I wish we had diesel options here but like the US, all are gas.

Only the offshore units that have been imported are diesel and they are right hand drive :(

You can import the front cut. You will have to order parts. There are a few dealerships in mexico that will ship. :aok:

Just think...170hp and 300ftlbs without upping the boost.

I've got two "illegal" engines in my garage right now for a different car. As long as someone has a license they don't care.

Maybe I don't know enough about them, but it seems like pretty much any diesel can be worked on by any specific diesel mechanic. I know they aren't all identical, but they seem like they are more comparable between brands than gas engines are.

Parts would be a problem, though. I would hate to wait a week or two (at the very minimum) for a part whenever I need it.

It would be an entire front cut...so yes, everything included. I'm willing to bet a lot of the accessories could be found on a gas powered r50's for replacement parts. Anything major that went wrong would be down for weeks anyway...be it gas or diesel. Ordering is not that bad. It only took me a week or so to import a bunch of parts for my other engines. The rest of the parts for them I was able to find on usdm engines.

Just so you guys know...I'm talking about 6 months away. The guy will be going to japan in a couple months, and then you can count on at least a month for the container to get to the us. I'm working on finding a mexican supplier though. So far I've found one company that will ship me an engine.

Edited by turbopath