The tranny post.

lowrider

Well, I changed the clutch, which is pretty much removing tranny... :shrug: It's not that bad of a job, you just need some space, some time and the right tools. Do you want a break down of things to do and not to do + tool list ?? Lemme know...

:beer:

B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming you have a manual...

Jack up the truck so the wheels are 15-30 cm off the ground and have 4 jack stands bracing it. By all means do this in a garage with cement floor, I borrowed a friends... Get a tranny jack if you can, it makes a BIG difference !! You can buy one for less than a 3 day rental. Do so if in doubt and rent it to friends till it's paid for+.

PB blast any rusted bolts, paying attention to the T-bar mounts, tranny cross member bolts and drive shaft components.

Pull the shifters (ID snapring pliers highly recommended)

Pull the starter (all the way out the front), clean well with brake/contact cleaner and scrub the electrical contacts.

Measure the T bar adjustment bolt so you can get it close later, clock the T-bars with a punch or chizel, front and rear.

Loosen the 3 bolts holding the front sockets of the T-bars.

Disconnect the wiring to/ near the tranny. I used colored tape to mark them. Most will make sense, some wont

Almost forgot. Loosen (remove if a problem later) the exhaust down tubes and 2-1 joint.

Put the jack under the tranny and just support it in the position that it is in.

Break loose the front drive train at the front of the transfer case (clock it !!)

Break loose the rear drive train at the rear diff (clock it !!) and you may need a plug or a drip pan for the hole...

Take the bolts out of the rear tranny mount.

Remove the bell housing bolts (18 or 24" extension with a universal joint and a friend to guide the socket on will make ALL the difference)

Remove the rear crossmember taking the tranny mount and T-bars with it

Lower the tranny a few inches and look for any wires/issues.

Pull it out of the housing... :beer:

Basically from there it is the same reversed for install if you are not touching the clutch (if in doubt, replace components) but thats another story. Let me know if thats the case and I'll respond a hell of a lot faster... ;)

TOOLS: ID snapring pliers, jack stands, colored tape, 18-24" socket extension, universal joint, tranny jack, PB Blaster or like bolt penetrant, punch/chisel, breaker bar and thats all I can think of now.

I'm sure I've forgotten some things and will chime in when I think of them if no one else has. It's really not that bad, just pay attention and save the beer for afterwards... ;)

Ask away about specifics and good luck.

B