El Pathfindero is dying

Okay Ladies and gents, heres the dilemma

my pathy ('93 SE, AutoTrans) seems to not be shifting for itself when going into second gear, you have to caox it by revving the engine and backing back off, and the engine sounds twice as loud as it ever has

so right now i'm fearing the worst, thinking my tranny has kicked the bucket, should i completely flush the system and see if it gets better

or if the worst really is happening, I hate to say it, but the pathy goes to the junkyard because its not really worth spending $2000+ on fixing the tranny of a rig with 228,000 miles on her

The Pathy will be replaced if need be.....with a jeep.......... its a 90's Commanche w/ 4" of lift, 33's, prerunner fenders, ARB winch bumper, PIAA lighting, the unsinkable 4.0, all for $4500

I really hope it can be fixed tho...........lemme know what to do here guys

A CV replacement will cost you around $100 if you get a new one...or you can pull a junker off at a parts yard, but I wouldn't trust those...not the same as any other part you can get at a parts yard. A solenoid is not an expensive part at all, it's the cost of the labor to replace it that gets expensive, unless you can do it yourself. I had my passenger side CV axle replaced...it was $100 for the CV, and $70 to pay a shop to do it. I could have done it myself, but for $70, I figured it was worth letting a mechanic do it, and it went very quickly. Anything that saves me from cursing and getting bloody knuckles, I'll definitely pay $70 to avoid ;)

I don't think you could go wrong with that Jeep though, sounds pretty cool...if it's time to let her go, it's time to let her go...mine's got around 156k on the odometer, runs perfect, and has the manual tranny...at around 200k, I'm probably going to put in a remanufactured engine and just nip it in the bud before I run into any future possible problems. I plan on keeping it, so why not?

I talk to the bank tomorrow on the Jeep

Im still gonna fix the Pathy

I'll do the CV myself, but my big bro's a mechanic so I'm letting him tackle the Solenoid

I figure if I fix it I might be able to get 1500 out of her even if I paid 2600 for her 3000 miles ago and if it doesnt sell it will quickly become a money pit cuz it'll be off-road only :takebow:

so thats a no on the Jeep then huh?

When is it ever a yes???

PS: how much does a new DS CV axle cost?? mine's breakin loose

If you have a CarQuest near you, you can get a remanufactured one for $63.

The shift solenoids are inside the trans on the pan side, so if you can get the pan off you can most likely replace the shift solenoids fairly easily. They're about $110 for all three from Nissan, IIRC. FSM info helps, just ask and ye shall recieve! Did you know the AT control computer has a testing mode with error codes just for the transmission? I think there's a post in the Garage/Tech section with the procedure.

• 1 month later...

Solenoids are $385 direct from nissan for teh 4 speed autotragic :angry:

I think the tranny's toast now-no second gear at all :(

Fear not my friends a jeep is out of the question.

A frind of mine has a '97 S-10 ZR-2 for sale

10" lift

SAS-front dana 44

rear axle swap-GM 12 bolt

lockers front and rear

4.3 v6

35 inch TRXUS STS's

dual t-cases

!! $4000 !!

Hopefully I wont have to replace EL, but if I do at least I'll still wheel in style :P :cool2:

• 2 weeks later...
Solenoids are $385 direct from nissan for teh 4 speed autotragic :angry:

I think the tranny's toast now-no second gear at all :(

Fear not my friends a jeep is out of the question.

10" lift

SAS-front dana 44

lockers front and rear

4.3 v6

35 inch TRXUS STS's

dual t-cases

!!  $4000  !!

Hopefully I wont have to replace EL, but if I do at least I'll still wheel in style  :P  :cool2:

if i was you, i'd fix the pathfinder, try and get top dollar for it, and buy what you'd like. Keep in mind a SAS'ed S10 is one SH!tty daily driver compared to your pathfinder.

Edited by lowrider

10" lift

SAS-front dana 44

lockers front and rear

4.3 v6

35 inch TRXUS STS's

dual t-cases

Sooooo basically your buying someone else's project.

Sorry, not my style. Where's the satisfaction in that?