K&N Intake

rmd0311

Hey all,

I recently did my exhaust and love the way it sounds so much that I want to go ahead and do the intake too. I was thinking the K&N Intake.

If you have it... Did you get an mpg boost? How much was the performance boost?

What do ya'll think in general? Is there a better brand for the 3.5L?

Link to K&N Intake

Edited by rmd0311

The K&N intake should give you a moderate performance boost, gas milage wise you should be looking at at least 4 mpg. Make sure the kit includes a heat shield to avoid sucking in engine heat, if not then you may not see any performance. I think it's a worthwhile investment.

how is that for water protection tho? it seems like the stock box is a little more sealed around that might be a lil' better at least for splash protection...nothing but a snorkel will save u when it gets over the hood, but what about just b4 that?

how is that for water protection tho? it seems like the stock box is a little more sealed around that might be a lil' better at least for splash protection...nothing but a snorkel will save u when it gets over the hood, but what about just b4 that?

Also unless your crossing rivers it shouldnt be a problem

heres what i did.

custom K&N (see pic), its cone which was the downside...now i have a snorkel. and have a brand new K&N cone filter sitting around.

th_knintake.jpg

th_knintakeentire.jpg

total cost was around $100 (including a $60 filter)

The K&N intake should give you a moderate performance boost, gas milage wise you should be looking at at least 4 mpg.

:blink:

:confused:

4mpg better? thats a little generous isnt it?

heres a another useless side note, im good at them. for those out there who like filters that claim to be high perormance. how do you actually think they work?

to be any use to an engine, for the purpose of more power/economy, you need to get more air to the engine (ah derrrrr). improvements are only made when more air is available (discounting technology as a factor)

well how do you think a 'high performance' filter does that?

short answer: lets more air thru.

how does this happen? without charging the physical size of the filter

well basically to become less 'restrictive' the filter element needs to be less fine. ie lets more of both air and fine particles of debris thru.

all im getting at is that these 'high performance' filters let more air in but they also let more crud in as well.

so once youve weighed up how you wanna treat your engine the choice is yours. better mpg/power or a better filter that protects the engine better.

interesting link

air filters

post-7-1147350195.jpg

Edited by sw

no no no not at all.

the more often you service your car the better

if you read what i posted i was just talking about so called 'high performance' air filters and what they are actually doing to your motor.

with regards to airfilters change em regularly with good quality 'stock' units.

4 MPG gain is bull@!*%, sorry. Try 1 MPG if you can keep your foot out of it. You should be doing this mod for the sound and the power. Since you have the VQ35, wise choice.

I naturally stay away from K&N. Try Weapon-R and HKS. Doubt AEM makes an intake. The sock is a good idea, and don't worry about water, just don't drive in a lake, haha.

Remember, the intake will lose HP and TQ if not properly insulated from engine heat. If the kit does not include a heatshield you will have to fab one up.

Update:

I went to clean my JWT filter (made by K&N) as it was really dirty...noticed the MAF screen was covered in a fine film of fine dust.

I cleaned the MAF sensor, and it cured my idle and running rich problems.

Conclusion: If you take your truck off-road, or live in an area where you're prone to dust, or drive through a construction zone frequently, DO NOT USE an oiled filter - K&N or otherwise, panel or cone as they will let fine particulates through. I put my airbox back in and a Fram Tough Guard air filter (as it's supposed to block more crap than the sandard Fram).

I was going to put the airbox back on anyways in preparation for the Snorkel, but it's NOT a good idea to run an oiled type filter.

I ran the K&N for a yaer, and went back to paper filters, for the reasons vengeful mentioned. i didn't like seeing oil and fine dirt in the MAF, after oiling it made the throttle sticky, just took more maintenence than I was willing to do. I can't say I ever felt a difference in power or throttle response, and from what the manufacturer claims I didn't expect to. I have more dirt roads than paved, so the dust is a major factor, and swapping in new paper filters as needed was simple. I like simple.

m.

PS - I'm really skeptical anyone can 'feel' a difference with an air filter. I have K&Ns in my KZ1000 and even there I can't 'feel' a difference. Your vehicle is what it is - and pathys are not fast (or slow), they are reliable and solid. Paper filters are easy.

I actually noticed the exact same thing as Dan, went to clean my MAF and there was a nice coating of dirt on it. The thought of that stuff being further in the engine inspired a nice sea foaming. I'm sure K&N is fine for street use, but fine dust and dirt just seems to go right through

The thought of that stuff being further in the engine inspired a nice sea foaming.

Damn Right!

I actually did all three, crankcase, fuel and brake booster. With the freshy cleaned MAF, new air filter, and freshly seafoamed engine, my truck runs GREAT! :aok:

Now...to get those damn brakes done and it'll stop great, too! P...

This is enough to pull me away... I will leave it be. The current intake is fine by me. Only reason I thought about it was because I thought I would get a performance boost and better mpg for it. But if that is not the case, than on to the next mod. That is money I can put towards tires. Need to get those AT's before the winter gets here. Better yet, before I start going camping LOL....

Edited by rmd0311

Guest oldcrazy

When I bought my '98 Pathy it had a K&N intake on it. I can't give any comparison stats, but I can say it works and sounds great. As for water, I just drowned my Pathy up to the hood line (look for pics and story to come) and I didn't get a drop sucked in as far as I can tell.

The only drawback is that the previous owner, as opposed to constructing a mount, had the damn thing held up with some string. You may have to custom fab a little mount (shouldn't be too hard.) I am lazy and have not done so, yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently changed my oil using 10W-30 and added in a K&N drop-in, filled up and drove my usual drives (no 4-wheeling) Now, usually I fill up at 275 or so miles (needle will be right on the bottom line) Yesterday I filled up at 310 (needle still on the bottom line) It was all mixed driving (highway/city) just like always. That was DEFINATLEY an improvement over previous fill-ups. I know that people stay away from the drop-ins, but I really don't do a whole lot of wheeling (there's nowhere to go around here and I don't have time to drive 6 hours away)

Whatever happened, I am very impressed. I'll be driving to CT tomorrow, all highway. I'm anxious to see what the Pathy will do compared to previous trips (cruise set @ 70 most of the way, 500 miles)

Hey guys...Problem...

Just got back to CT last night (505 miles) and today my SES light came on, and the Pathy stinks of gas (obviously running rich) I know it's one of two things...the K&N Filter (not intake...I just have a filter) or an o2 Sensor. Either way, it's not running too well and smells pretty bad. Gonna try cleaning the MAF and putting a paper filter back on. Any help please? Thanks!

-G

this is what i do for now on. on street i use my K&N drop in filter. before i head out on a trail i drop in a stock nissan one so it can trap all that dirt and crap. and i use that paper one until it gets really dirty then i just get another paper one for offroading. it works well for me. so i can have the advantages of K&N for street and not have it mess up the engine when i go wheelin. but this is only drop in stuff i dunno if you wanted a cone filter.

It's a good idea, however, I haven't been off roading with the K&N. So what do you guys think? And it's not a cone...it's just the rectangular drop-in. MAF dirty? o2 sensor??

Edited by navygz19