Wind Noise

stagnant

Hurray, my first post.

I just picked up a '94 SE and I love it. I have noticed an excessive amount of wind noise around the sides of the windshield. I am hoping there is an aftermarket solution to this problem.

It appears that someone had a bug shield on the vehicle at one point, and I wouldn't mind installing a new one if it may help divert the wind a bit.

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

the side mirrors are making the noise with the air passing over it, i dont know of any after market fixes. alot of pathfinders came with bugshields, and they do help alot. if youve ever driven in texas when its lovebug season then you knowwhat im talking about. but about diverting the air, i doubt it.

• 3 years later...

thought I bring this topic from the dead. I'm getting crazy amounts of road noise to where it's hard to hear the person in the passenger seat talking granted even enjoy the music. I've already replaced the door hinge pins. The only thing left I can think of is replacing the weather stripping. Has anyone replaced them with new ones with good results? I think I was quoted 120 for all 4 doors.

thought I bring this topic from the dead. I'm getting crazy amounts of road noise to where it's hard to hear the person in the passenger seat talking granted even enjoy the music. I've already replaced the door hinge pins. The only thing left I can think of is replacing the weather stripping. Has anyone replaced them with new ones with good results? I think I was quoted 120 for all 4 doors.

that sounds pretty high to me. it's easy to change out the weather stripping.

Actually if that is labor and material for $120 that doesn't sound too bad.

One other place that will allow in some noise is the T-case boot (the rubber one under the leather). If it is torn it will let in a lot of noise and heat.

• 4 months later...

Mine has the end pieces missing from the black trim around the windshield. This causes the center strip at the top of the windshield to lift from time to time and cause alot of wind noise! I am planning to have my windshield replaced soon and was wondering if they replace this molding as well. Has anyone had thier windshield replaced and know if they do replace this molding?

• 5 years later...

Just wondering if anyone has any updates on this - I'm considering doing some extra weather striping and maybe adding a deflector to the front of the sunroof if I can't source replacement seals for the edges.

My aim is to make highway driving more pleasant, so Falken Wildpeak A/T tires seem to have a good reputation for quietness on-road and decent performance off-road.

Cheers,

D.

Weather stripping helps, shift boot for 4 wheel drive cracks with age, replacing that helps.

I had an exhaust gasket go out, that made all sorts of noise till it got hot enough to set the floor on fire.

After I replaced it, I could hold a conversation at 65 mph, even with 31 bfg a/ts.

Well, I'm getting the exhaust sorted next week (at least one broken stud) so that will be a big one, and with the tires, suspension, weather striping and probably the sunroof deflector, I think the noise should drop appreciably. I don't mind putting in this much in parts into this Pathy - worst case, I'll have a great parts machine when the transmission finally goes ;->

Well, I'm getting the exhaust sorted next week (at least one broken stud) so that will be a big one, and with the tires, suspension, weather striping and probably the sunroof deflector, I think the noise should drop appreciably. I don't mind putting in this much in parts into this Pathy - worst case, I'll have a great parts machine when the transmission finally goes ;->

I think you will notice a considerable improvement. I never even had a sunroof deflector, didn't need one, and I had thule crossbars on the stock rack.

You can put insulation/sound deadening material in the doors, in the floor (especially around the wheel wells) and in the roof.

B

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about this problem too. I was going to take mine to have the seal replaced on the front windshield. It seems like the dull roar that I'm experiencing is from the wind blowing over the trim around the windshield. I do have a sunroof with cracked rubber seal so it can be grabbing air too and causing a roar. I guess the answer is to just replace rubber and seals that are catching air until you quieten it down. Every little thing that catches air is causing some form of subtle vibration and subsequent noise. The only thing that ages and changes shape and form is the runner and plastic in the trim.

• 3 years later...

I have tried to pull them off of junkyard vehicles and they always break. I think you would have to get a new one and the best person to ask for that is Rob (Alkorahil on NPORA). Other option maybe to seal the gap with some clear silicone calk. Been thinking of doing this myself but haven't got around to it. I have Dynamat all over the drivers side door and floor along with some Reflectix to keep the floorboard heat down. It's still loud.

I mostly keep off the highway and turn up the stereo. lol,

• Like 1

Hurray, my first post.

I just picked up a '94 SE and I love it. I have noticed an excessive amount of wind noise around the sides of the windshield. I am hoping there is an aftermarket solution to this problem.

It appears that someone had a bug shield on the vehicle at one point, and I wouldn't mind installing a new one if it may help divert the wind a bit.

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Hows the sunroof?

Hows your t-case boot?

Hows the sunroof?

Hows your t-case boot?

Well mines all torn up now but it's getting from replaced after my rebuild.

that sounds pretty high to me. it's easy to change out the weather stripping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have tried to pull them off of junkyard vehicles and they always break. I think you would have to get a new one and the best person to ask for that is Rob (Alkorahil on NPORA). Other option maybe to seal the gap with some clear silicone calk. Been thinking of doing this myself but haven't got around to it. I have Dynamat all over the drivers side door and floor along with some Reflectix to keep the floorboard heat down. It's still loud.

I mostly keep off the highway and turn up the stereo. lol,

Cool, thanks! I'll get in touch with Rob. I've considered the clear silicone too but it just seems so ugly and hokey!

Heh. My sunroof seal on my '93 failed the other day while I was driving and started flapping against the roof. That made some noise! I could see it waving around like a waving arm tube man in the truck's shadow so I didn't worry about it, just pulled it off when I got where I was going. I honestly haven't noticed that much change in wind noise with the seal gone. I've got a sunshade up, though, maybe that's absorbing some of the noise or something. I've heard the new seals are a pain to install--surely there's a trick to it though. You might take a look at the hold-down buckle whatsit for the sunroof and make sure it's adjusted right to where air's not getting in between the glass and the inner seal.