upgrading my Oh-One

Guest GoGoGorilla

Guest GoGoGorilla

:help:

hey everyone! I'm new here & looking for advice for upgrading my '01 Pathy. It's recently paid-for and I want to "celebrate" by giving it a suspension lift and exhaust overhaul. I only have a few hundred bucks to spend ... I'm pretty set on having a 2" lift. I want an exhaust that makes heads turn but doesn't make hands clamp over ears. Wishful thinking? I hope not!! Any input would be SO greatly appreciated!

snoringdogs@hotmail.com

lol get the OME lift!!! comparefrontafter1.jpg

mine is on the left and tylers is on the right. mine is already sagged with 1 inch spacers up front and his is brand new. i think i might be putting another spacer on in the front and rear just to match his. im gunna get wheels first though. and what everyone has said about how hard the spacers are... we had no trouble at all.

It's not the lift that is the problem. Is the fact that with the spacers, you're extending the down-travel of the strut past the factory limits. Those factory limits were set into place for a reason....to keep the driveaxles from breaking. Don't believe me? Talk to Keith. He blew up 2 CVs in one week running 2" spacers up front - and not just torn boots...literally blown up CVs.

Getting back on topic -

You can't go wrong with the AC Lift. I've had it since 2003, and haven't had any problems. In addition to the lift, you're going to need to purchase 2 sets of the Camber Adjustmet bolts (one for each side). I also suggest getting the Manual Hubs to reduce wear on the CVs up front as they will be at an increased angle. However, by converting to the manual locking hubs, you will lose the Auto-4WD feature while the hubs are Unlocked. While the hubs are Unlocked, you can ONLY drive the vehicle in 2WD.

Another big debate with the lift is what shocks/struts to get? I've heard bad things about the Rancho struts, and they're more expensive than the KYBs. Go with the KYBs. As far as shocks go, you're not going to go wrong with the Ranchos or the Bilsteins.

As far as an exhaust goes....I'd suggest maybe a Thrush Turbo Muffler. They've got a nice throaty garble to them, and they're not ricey sounding. I've got a Flowmaster 40-series on my truck, and I think it sounds great. Might be too loud for some people's tastes however.

Rear is cake. The front is a PITA. If you don't know what you're doing when it comes to assembling struts, bring the parts to a Pep-Boys or the like (some big chain car shop) and have them assemble them. They usually only charge about $30-40 per strut and it'll take em about an hour or so.

I say it's worth it to go that route. I was assembling the struts on my cousins BMW while putting in lowering springs, and one of the coil compressors let go, and the coil missed my cousin by about 8", went through the exterior garage wall and landed in the neighbors living room. It would suck to lose a leg, or your life because you wanted to save $80.