how to work the foglights without headlights

FUELER

Mine is a 4/99 QX4 but still considered a 99

no power outlet relay like in these pics

I wired my radio shack peg leg fog relay to the + terminal on the "A/C" relay.

That way I have independent fog lights that still turn off with the car!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/727953/6

Great write up!

post-7-1145909382.jpg

Edited by FUELER

hehehehhe

well I was sitting in the drivers seat , messing with the light switch

theres OFF, parking, and then headlights.

hold your fingers on it very still, and try to get it between parking lights and headlights. There is a sweet spot where the foglights work but the headlights don't!!! It's kinda tough to get to, and the problem is that it's not very stable. When you use the turn signal, it usually turns the headlights back on, and it probably wouldnt hold while offroading, but it's a cool mod if you're just cruising down a boulevard or something.

have fun guys!

what the hell? how did you do that

oh, thats the sweet spot when you pull back.

im talking about twisting the knob.

Edited by FUELER

oh cool. looks like a really good write-up.. definintely will look at it more.. there is a good one here on NPORA somewhere (prob 88's)

i actually ment having both the driving and the high beam fillamnets on at the same time + the fogs as the mod.

I have been watching this thread fervently

the problem is that it's not very stable. When you use the turn signal, it usually turns the headlights back on, and it probably wouldnt hold

kinda dissapointing conclusion.

Good thing you posted this....

I think the best way is like this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/727953/6

or it would have been really pissing me off.

I think I'll do that. Thanks!

Edited by Sierra Cement

Why use fog lights w/o headlights? Seems pretty lame especially considering if you hit a bump all lights go off or they all come on......get aftermarket lights and run a toggle switch. :wacko:

i think fueler was pulling our leg just a little. he must've smoked some good chronic and went gangsta on us for a minute. lol

Actually, I've had several trips where I drove in heavy fog or snow with just the fogs on and not the headlights. Illegal in PA but it works better than being blinded

i think fueler was pulling our leg just a little. he must've smoked some good chronic and went gangsta on us for a minute. lol

you know me all too well !! :beer: :type:

Actually, I've had several trips where I drove in heavy fog or snow with just the fogs on and not the headlights. Illegal in PA but it works better than being blinded

I have never had a vehicle where I could do this. But I have on many occasions found myself completely blinded by headlight bounce back in heavy snow....... this mod is not "lame" if you need to drive but can't see the road with the headlights on. Definitely on the honey-do list.

I have installed driving/fog lights on every vehicle I have owned... minus the Tempo :oops:

As k9 said, they make a huge difference. Screw the laws about them when they are the only thing allowing you to see the road ahead :D

On my Taurus I wired them into the Autolamps so that they would come one automatically with the parking lights. I also set it up so that I could control them independently.. (Off/On/Auto)

I've driven in snow so heavy that I could actually see better with NO lights on, than with the fogs alone, or the headlights alone...

Don't worry, I had my parking lights and rear-facing strobe lights on so people could see me!

I like my lights bright, so I set mine up so that I could run the high beams + low beams + fogs all at the same time.

I just tapped into wire that feeds the high beam and use it to trigger a pair of relays that send 12v to the low beams. As a side effect, the fogs now work with the high beams or low beams. If you are worried about inspection or the law, you could just switch the trigger wire coming from the high beams. Then everything should work just like normal.

I like my lights bright, so I set mine up so that I could run the high beams + low beams + fogs all at the same time.

I just tapped into wire that feeds the high beam and use it to trigger a pair of relays that send 12v to the low beams. As a side effect, the fogs now work with the high beams or low beams. If you are worried about inspection or the law, you could just switch the trigger wire coming from the high beams. Then everything should work just like normal.

thanks. :beer:

I the trigger for the relay to my driving lights (originally the stock fogs) from the parking light circuit and through the stock console switch. That way I have driving/fog lights by themself (and now the roof rack lights) with the parking lights, low or high beams, or turned off and running parking, low or high normally. Very simple wiring really. And no matter what, all lights are still off when the headlights/parking lights are switched off.