gps...

yar1

specifically this one: gps id be using it for a trip to wyoming,anyone have one of these or similar? thanks

Fixed the link.

Edited by vengeful

to use with your laptop?

we used to use the one that came with MS Streets & Trips... wasnt too bad, but when we got a proper GPS unit (Garmin) we stopped using it. Kind of a PITA driving with an open laptop...

For several years I've been using a Garmin GPS V receiver with very satisfactory results. Around Christmas time last year, I decided to splurge and get a full-blown Windows Mobile PDA and a bluetooth Garmin GPS10. While it far surpasses the capabilities of my old GPS V, it was also 3 times more expensive. Using a laptop-based GPS system in the car isn't the most convenient way to track your position. Not only does it take up a lot of room, it's not easily mountable where you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Plus, to deter theft, what do you do with your laptop when you park your car?

Edited by XPLORx4

to use with your laptop?

we used to use the one that came with MS Streets & Trips... wasnt too bad, but when we got a proper GPS unit (Garmin) we stopped using it. Kind of a PITA driving with an open laptop...

ok,so which garmin unit did you get? how about the garmin 2620

Edited by yar1

Hey Dean what did you get to mount your PDA?? I bought one of the ProClip systems and Love it !!

I have the HP iPaq 2415 with a cheap CF Card GPS and I'm running the TomTom software for Pocket PC. I really love it and its usually right on the money when giving directions.

There are lots of car/computer/GPS specific websites out there if you want more info. I used to have a Garmin. Just upgraded to US GlobalSat BU-353. You can also get a 355 which has other connection options. It is around $75 and has a sirf III chipset with WAAS. The laptop is hidden and I got a touch screen VGA single DIN 7" wide screen monitor as display and input. I have a custom shell under WindowsXP that is touch screen friendly.

laptop is actually easy to hide. that's what i want to hook up. it has all of the US at a glance.. way better then the hand held units. outside of my vehicle i use map and compass. there just isn't a better substitute. no batteries needed. :D

Hey Dean what did you get to mount your PDA??

I have a Dell Axim x51v, and use a Seidio powered mount for it. I've thought about the ProClip, but the Seidio windshield mount has worked OK so far.