Rewire Fog Lights (96-99) For Full Control

vengeful

How To Gain Full Control Over The Fog Lights On A 1996-1999 Nissan Pathfinder/Infiniti QX4:

This mod is guaranteed to work on all 1996-1999 R50 Nissan Pathfinders and Infiniti QX4s, assuming you do it correctly. This WILL NOT work on 99.5-2004 Pathfinders. For a how to for 99.5-2004 Pathfinders, Click Here .

This mod will give you full control over your fog lights, as well as give constant power to the rear power socket (if so equipped). To complete this mod, you must modify two (2) relays in the relay box just above the driver side strut tower. The relays modified are the Power Socket relay and the FR Fog relay. New OEM relays are about $12-$13 from a dealer, so I chose to buy 2 #275-226 relays from Radio Shack for $6 each. To complete this mod you also will need a set of needle nose pliers, a flathead screwdriver, and a soldering iron/gun.

1. Start by pulling the Power Socket and FR Fog relays, be sure to be careful when removing them, so you do not break the clip. Put them in the glove box, in case you want to un-do this mod in the future.

2. Open one of the Radio Shack relays by running a flat head screwdriver around the cap, it should pop off. You should notice the contactor arm and a small piece of metal next to it. Bend this metal so the relay stays closed all the time. It should not move. Put the cap back on and install this relay in the Power Socket position. You now have constant power to your rear power socket.

3. The Fog Light relay modification is slightly more involved. There are 4 prongs protruding from the bottom of the relay, marked 85, 86, 87, and 30/51 (on one of mine it was marked 30/51, and the other was marked only 51). GENTLY grap the prong marked 31/50 with the needle nose pliers. Rock it back and forth until the prong comes off. Now you have a 3-legged relay.

4. Open the relay using the flat head screwdriver using the same method as above. Using a small amount of wire (I only needed ¾” of 20 gauge wire, and I removed some strands from it) and a soldering iron/gun, connect 30/51 and 85. They should be clearly marked both on the outside of the relay, and on the package.

5. Once the solder cools, recover the relay and install into the FR Fog relay socket. You now have full control over your fogs. You no longer have to have your headlights on to have the fog lights on, but be careful to turn the off when you leave the car. It is very easy to forget to turn them off during the day, as there will be no dash light or warning tone telling you they are on.

Note: If you screw up and mess up your car, I am in NO way responsible for your own mistakes. I have performed this modification on my own vehicle and it works properly. If you have any questions, or concerns, feel free to email me.

Warning: This mod WILL cause your vehicle to FAIL a state Safety Inspection. Inspectors check that the fog lights turn off when the high beams are activated, and this mod prevents that. It is advised that you keep your original relay and switch them before getting your inspection done.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Here are the photos for my version of the fog light relay mod (yuck, I should have used heat shrink instead of electrical tape around the alligator clip, as well as a shorter wire!):

th_IMG_0622.jpg

th_IMG_0623.jpg

It's pretty hacky. If you run a +12v that's ignition sourced from elsewhere you can avoid cutting up the A/C relay's cover.

And here's how I did the high beam mod (fogs stay on with brights):

th_IMG_0084.jpg

th_IMG_0083-1.jpg

Locate the ground wire in the fog light connector (middle pin generally; check your FSM), cut and strip it, solder on an extension (or a quick disconnect for easy removal later; I believe all other exterior lights must turn off if brights are on in certain states for safety inspections), crimp on a ring terminal on the other end and screw it under a grounded screw. Try not to use too much length for an extension like I did, though. Very simple mod! Apologies for the crappy pictures, but they should suffice I think. Soldering the quick disconnect/ring terminals on after crimping, then electrical taping, then heatshrink will result in the most durable wire, but since this is a 3-inch ground wire you can probably get by with just crimping it on.

Hope this helps guys, if you need more info let me know.

• 5 years later...