temperature problem

solid snake

Ok, finally burped her. During the day the temp stays at halfway point, which I think is normal since that is where it was when I bought it a year ago. But during the night it still stays at halfway. It's not even hot out, may be around 50's, during the day about 80. So wtf?, what else can I check, I know temperature has a lot to do with the heating and cooling of a car. I'll swap the e-fan witht eh clutch fan later on today and test it out tomorrow to see if there is any diffrence. I really hope it's not a head gasket. I don't have the symptoms that were pointed out earlier, but that does not rule out the possibility.

I had a really bad ordeal with this problem on Friday. I placed the clutch fan back on, and didn't notice any change in temp. The clutch fan fell off during my way to work, i didn't know it fell until I saw the battery, a/t f light, and the brake light's come on. I thought to my self WTF? Then I started to see water splatter against the windshield, then I said Ohh F! I pulled over, popped open the hood and saw steam come out. I opened it and saw the rad cap popped off, fan in the shroud and the belt hanging from the main pulley. I called my brother to pic me up. I had to drive the pathy to his house, which was 5 min away from the incident. Since I didn't have the e-fan with me, I had to buy another one. I got a 16" fan for $80 with life time warranty. Mounted the fan put the belt back on and everything was ok. I left from work and went home and still smelled hot coolant. I turned the pathy of and saw there was water all over the belts and t-belt cover. I turned the pathy on and noticed that the rad had a leak between the plastic and the aluminum lining. I bought another rad for $160.00 life time warranty, and everything was fine. But the temp does not drop at night, it's only a hair down from the half way point. At this time I think that my water pump may be shot. What do you think?

By the way I did the burp again.

Edited by solid snake

Where did the new t-stat come from? If not OEM, I'd consider replacing it with OEM.

yes. check the box the t'stat came in.. make sure it's 170 degree and no more

yes. check the box the t'stat came in.. make sure it's 170 degree and no more

It is a 170 t-stat. I bought it at Auto Zone, it is called the FailSafe, supposedly it says that "DESIGNED TO LOCK OPEN AT APPROXIMATELY 280 F TO PROVIDE MAXIMUM COOLANT FLOW DURING OVERHEATING CONDITION." I'm gonna really consider buying a diffrent brand though. I just saw this info online too, if it stays locked at 280, why doesn't it stay lock at 170 then, since it's a 170 t-stat? :shrug:

never heard of those. i always buy the prestone (sp?) t'stats at kragens..... never had a problem. rad cap is the same brand :aok:;)

Edited by Slick