New shocks/springs and struts No lift kits.

For the Struts KYB are great and alot of people here use them. For the shocks Ranco are popular, and about the coils I would just get the OME coils It does not lift it that much but gives you a much better ride.

The only other option would be to get new coils like what you have from the dealer or oem models.

I have been super happy with my OME coils and the ride that they give is 100% better. More like a truck!!

The Old Man Emu (OME) medium duty springs may be just what you're looking for. They are a stiffer spring, and will make the truck ride more like a truck than a Soccer Mom Station Wagon. They will also give you a little bit of lift because of the extra stiffness, but it is less than an inch.

As far as shocks and struts go. I've been VERY happy with my KYB GR-2 struts. I'm definitely going to get another set when I replace them. For the rear shocks, I've used OEM, and the Rancho 9000s. I was happy with the 9000s, but they are pricey. I'm about to put a set of Bilstein 5100s on to replace them.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever had to replace the strut mounts?

I took my pathy in to get the OME coils installed and the shop told me that I

needed new struts and strut mounts!! This was a surprise because there was

no indication of wear or noise or anything that my struts were bad. And the

strut mounts, too?

I have 127000 miles on the beast and around 65000 on the struts. I don't doubt

they are in need, but the entire mount, too?

:confused:

When I bought did my suspension, I ordered strut mounts as well since I figure the struts were out already. With 125k miles, the strut mounts were fine, and one strut was leaky.

Yeah, I did some more research and talked to a few guys about it, and from what

I gathered, it is typical to replace strut mounts along with struts, esp. if it's never

been done yet...

I'm also looking to upgrade the suspension on my 97, but I would actually like to give it a two-inch drop. Nobody seems to be down with that.....everyone wants lifts. Anyone know of any lowering springs and corresponding shocks/struts???

Yeah, I've seen those lowering springs. Kinda pricey, no?? Do you know of any others. I've tried Eibach and Progress....neither carry them for Pathfinders.

Would aftermarket struts/shocks work with those springs? I mean, not the struts/shocks for lifting applications, but the OEM replacement ones.

You gotta forgive me......this is my first truck/SUV as well as my first V6......I'm used to four-banger econoboxes.

Acutally the shocks for lifting applications are just replacement shocks (except the Ranchos, as they are made for a different vehicle, because they don't have a specific R50 application), and aren't extended at all, and would work fine with the lowering springs.

How low are you looking to go? I know my worn OEM springs that I just changed out were "lowering" my pathy by probably 1-2 inches similar to how the AC lower springs make the pathy look. They lowered my pathy enough so the tire-wheelwell gap was uniform all around - about 1 inch.

But lowering the pathy isn't gonna look the same as lowering a car cuz you're still gonna be off the ground a lot.

Edited by t0ast

Yeah, I know it won't look the same as a car. I've seen pics of lowered Pathfinders and they look pretty good IMO. I'm only looking for a 2-inch drop, which is exactly the drop on the lowering coils listed on 4x4parts.com

I just can't bring myself to spend 400 bucks on springs. Are there at least OEM replacement springs......as in stock height replacements???? I think mine are a little worn as my PF tends to rock and sway like a damn boat or something.

They are 2" lowering springs. They dont sell many of them, and they're made to order.

Yes, you can get OEM replacement springs, but they'll be more expensive than the drop springs. Also, if it seems to be bobbing and swaying, the culprit is most likely your rear control arm (aka link) bushings. How many miles are on your truck, and where are you located?

• 8 months later...

So I came across this thread while searching for spring and shock/strut combos and clicking the link to the A/C lowering springs I saw the picture of the lowered pathy. Took me a second to realise that it was indeed lowered... cause mine sits the same!!! Do you think my springs are worn? :laugh: Although the thing that pisses me off a bit is that the truck is a little more than 4 years old with 53,000 miles and was owned by a woman (ie: no off-road, trailering, or heavy loads) for the first 3 years and the springs are toast?!?! What gives? I guess I just expect more out of a vehicle that originally costed $30,000+, regardless of whether it's a station wagon/grocery getter/mom-mobile.