30K Service

findmypath

My 03 Pathfinder has graduated to the 30000 mile club and I was thinking about taking it in to the dealer for 30K service. From the looks of it...it is pretty thourough. THey do the transfer case, diff, micro filter, tire rotation, and oil. Something like that runs around $260.

ANy opinions as to how good of a deal it is? Suggestions??

Thanks.

If you are handy when it come to working on cars I would do it my self there is not much that they do there that you cant do in a good afternoon. If not then have them do it. I just hate to pay someone else money when I can do it my self.

Don't they just change all the fluids and spark plugs? I lost my list of what they do at each of the services.

i agree im quite capable ill never pay someone to do what i can do myself. this weekend im gonna convert my 99 auto maxima to a 5 speed. hows that for a weekend project....a few buddies a few beers and by sunday afternoon a 5 speed.....

Wow. That's quite the project...for a weekend job? Better steer clear of TOO many beers :P

i agree im quite capable ill never pay someone to do what i can do myself. this weekend im gonna convert my 99 auto maxima to a 5 speed. hows that for a weekend project....a few buddies a few beers and by sunday afternoon a 5 speed.....

I salute you on the Maxima conversion...

but how about the Pathfinder? 3.5 + 5-speed was a lot of fun to drive.

I envy you and your 5-speed :aok:

Thank you! I envy you and your 3.5! ;)

What is really fun is the 3.5 with the 5-speed. There's a few 2001s like that and even fewer 2002s. I drove a 2002 SE 5-speed 4x4 with 60k miles. I wasn't ready to buy at the time and this one wasn't as nice as mine.

Let me tell you, it hauled big time. The transmission seemed to have a better linkage than mine and the clutch was more precise and had a shorter throw.

Next up for me may be a newer QX4... :D

Next up for me may be a newer QX4... :D

Ahh yes, nothing like a little bling to take in the mud :D

I love my Pathy because I feel like it's the best of both worlds...It's got enough automatic one button sh*t on it (s/r,climate control,windows) to make it feel like it's got a little "bling" but at the same time it's rugged and ready to get swamped...and never make me feel bad about it!

And the 3.5 (though a fuel-pig) is quick too ;)

my choice came down to a 01 pathfinder 5 speed VS. 99 QX4 automatic. Both 4x4.

The 01 had cloth interior, no options, but the 3.5...

I chose the QX4 as I fell in love with the leather, wood grain, auto climate, quiet cabin, smooth suspension, and non-mirror tint.

I'm still learning how to tolerate the 3.3

Both probably would have been great choices, but what's making me angry now is the open differentials, IFS, and lack of aftermarket parts!!!

Edited by FUELER

anyways, back to the original question,

all of the things you posted are basics!! I could do all that labor and more, in under two hours (by myself).

It's not worth it to pay $120 an hour to have somebody work on your car while you're wasting expensive time in a waiting room.

Hell, even if you want to do all that shizz elsewhere:

Oil change - $15-40

Diff fluid is $25 each, even at an expensive "wrench monkey" type place. $75 for front, back, and transfer case. PS you can bargain with these people!

Spark plugs.... $20 come on, too easy, change them yourself or wear a purse

tire rotations are FREE at discount tire AKA americas tire.

micro filter, $15 and 20 seconds of labor.

I counted $130 of services, for all the same stuff as dealership

literally, less than 2 hours of work

dealerships are ripoffs!

...it is pretty thourough. THey do the transfer case, diff, micro filter, tire rotation, and oil. Something like that runs around $260.

OMG please don't tell me you think that $260.00 is a reasonable price for those simple things. You are FAR better off doing it yourself (as I think the general concensus is here!) If your not sure how to do something, just ask. There's more than enough knowledge between the gear heads on this board to get you through the task. It'll be a learning experience for you, too...nothing like touching your Pathy in dirty places where the sun don't shine :lol: Working on your own vehicle is just as rewarding as it is fun.....Just my .02 B)

I envy you both. I got the 2001 5 speed with 3.5 but it's 2wd driver. (but i don't tell her that) :D

Oh I didn't see this post...Trailsin26, it's only a 2WD'er till you get stuck in a shallow hole that you otherwise wouldn't if you had a 4x4...and no, don't tell her she's not 4x4!!!

Oh I didn't see this post...Trailsin26, it's only a 2WD'er till you get stuck in a shallow hole that you otherwise wouldn't if you had a 4x4...and no, don't tell her she's not 4x4!!!

hehehe, the truth is an open diff 2wd is actually only 1wd in snow, sand, and mud!!

my 4wd is at best a 2wd because of these damn open differentials!!

hehehe, the truth is an open diff 2wd is actually only 1wd in snow, sand, and mud!!

Your right...that's why the Pathy is the choice of local shopping mall parking lot donut carving makers around the world...I LOVE my Pathy in the snow in 2wd :D