Tire Myths BUSTED

Racer38

Alright I have read through all the posts about tires and here is what I found out today by trial and error.

My Pathy is a 2001 with the AC 2 1/2" Lift (more like 3").

Stock it has 16" wheels .

*Myth 1: 15" wheels wont fit because of Caliper spacing, it will hit the caliper.

*BUSTED: I have a set of AR 767 15 x 8 12mm Offset (4" BS) Wheels on it now with no problems clearing the caliper, there appears to be more space than with the stock aluminum wheels.

*Myth 2: 32" tires fit with only minor trimming with the AC Lift.

BUSTED: I would have to hack the front bumper lower corners off to allow the wheel to turn. Approximately 3" would have to be hacked off at a 45 degree angle just to clear these tires. In the rear the plastic inner fender well would need some extensive redesign as well.

A really good package with no trimming needed is the AC Lift kit and a set of AR767 15x8 wheels 4"BS and 31x10.50 tires. Looks good no cutting needed. Add the full under armor would be better than cutting up the wheel wells.

pathy1.jpg

pathy2.jpg

Next purchase will be the AC Full Armor kit with the diff skid as well.

Also a set of ARB Airlockers will be going in while I am on my Military Deployment so when I return I will have one killer toy to play with -bounce-

Thanks for reading and I'm open to comments on my findings !

Craig

If you're gonna get serious about wheeling (as evidenced by your plan to install dual lockers), ditch your factory running boards and put on a set of rock sliders.

Yup sliders will be added as well, for now the stock steps are staying as they do give some minor protection from rocks and stuff..

*Myth 1: 15" wheels wont fit because of Caliper spacing, it will hit the caliper.

*BUSTED: I have a set of AR 767 15 x 8 12mm Offset (4" BS) Wheels on it now with no problems clearing the caliper, there appears to be more space than with the stock aluminum wheels.

YES! I'm stealin the Xterrains off the Xterra!

B)

they do give some minor protection from rocks and stuff..

You mean stones and pebbles. :)

The factory step rails cannot and will not support the weight of your truck. However, if the kind of wheeling you do doesn't involve boulders then you might be OK.

Why are you installing dual lockers? What kind of terrain do you drive on that requires them?

i had 31x10.50x15 on my stock path....barely any rubbing.

you would need 3.75" of BS to clear the 32 10.50 on a 15x8 rim

im upgrading to 33s relatively soon but i dont care about hackin some of the body off....youd understand if you saw my pathy lol

It's been done with 4" BS on the older Pathies. With the different bumper style on the newer ones, the edge of the "wings" comes back a little bit farther than the old ones, so more trimming is required for 32s.

I've got 3.75" BS on my rims with 32x11.50 with (well, not anymore) no rubbing. It rubs now, but that's only cuz some idiot munched my bumper in the wal-mart parking lot and it got pushed back a little bit. :furious:

sweet truck!! I hope to do the same to my QX4 some day.

did you alter the back at all?? i like how your truck doesn't have that famous stinkbug stance like with the EMU kit...

i had 31x10.50x15 on my stock path....barely any rubbing.

you would need 3.75" of BS to clear the 32 10.50 on a 15x8 rim

im upgrading to 33s relatively soon but i dont care about hackin some of the body off....youd understand if you saw my pathy lol

Actually we mounted the 32's on the 4.0 BS and they cleared the shock tower just fine.

Trailsin26,

Here are some pics of my rig. I have the same wheel and tire set up that racer has, and I have the OME kit on.My Webpage if you want I can take some that are a little better poser pictures.

Oh and by the way your pathfinder looks great Racer.

Edited by Entropy98

Trailsin26,

Here are some pics of my rig.  I have the same wheel and tire set up that racer has, and I have the OME kit on.My Webpage  if you want I can take some that are a little better poser pictures.

Oh and by the way your pathfinder looks great Racer.

What a sexy R50 that is :D :cool2:

Edited by navygz19