Remote entry reprogramming procedures, 96-up Pathy

Hope this helps anyone with the remote entry unlock/lock system. If your remote control is lost, broken or stolen, here's the procedure for programming a new one to your vehicle. Info prompted by DylanMarley12, provided by 88pathoffroad.

This is a PDF file, a copy of Nissan North America's TSB on remote programming procedures. It should apply to 96-up Pathfinders, even though the document says 98-up. Give that a try.

http://Nissan.damagedreality.com/Nissanremoteprogramming.pdf

If that doesn't work or you have problems, try using this as a reference.

RemoteEntry_Program.gif

If neither of those procedures works for you, check your fuses. There is a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse panel that feeds the remote control module, which also feeds the horn and hazard lights from what I hear.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest MOHAV233PL

Awesome!!! I lost my spare key and remote a while ago but held off with going to the stealership because they quoted me $80 to reporgram!! I programmed the remote from my '01 Xterra and it worked like a charm. Thanks again.

BTW: Anyone know if programming the key itself (if I bought a Nissan one from Ebay) was possible?? or is it something the dealer has to do??

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice! My Pathy came with two remotes from the QX4, they are nicer than the Nissan ones. They look the same but the semi-circle thing at the bottom that holds in the key ring is chrome, not black plastic. And they say INFINITI with the little logo on the bottom. Thanks for the help!

P.S.- Does anyone know if the key from the Anniversary Edition 2001 Maxima can be programmed to work on my Pathy? Thanks

• 9 months later...

One of my remotes died 2 months ago and I tried this and...........IT WORKED like a charm!

I'll add one thing though, when you insert and remove the key it says not to rush it, I had to give 'er to get it to work but it lets you know before you turn the key to accessary by clicking if you did it enough times in the 10 sec period. Other than that everything works exactly as printed.

Thanks guys :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

I was searching ebay and found that there's many remotes for different vehicles... Does it matter what the remote says the vehicle is for, or just the look of it?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Ever find an answer to this question ,I'm in the same boat.It flashes like it found the remote but it doesnt work!

TIA

Hi guys,

If I already have a working remote and I get a new one I need to program, should I program them both? Or do I just program the new one and the old one would still function correctly?

Thankyou.

Hi guys,

If I already have a working remote and I get a new one I need to program, should I program them both? Or do I just program the new one and the old one would still function correctly?

Thankyou.

The old one will not work correctly, since in the programing process, the old ID is erased. To add a second, or up to four additional remotes...just read the instructions in the first post.

Edited by NismoSkyZ

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the question aboout programming the key....no go.

You will have to take it to the dealer. I got one on ebay, had it cut for about $3, and paid the local dealer $39 to reprogram.

zee

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased a remote off of ebay and spent almost an hour just trying to enter the registration mode.

Is there any other way to enter the registration mode? Is it really difficult to perform. Or am I just doing it wrong. I've done it slow and fast. How long do you have to leave it in the cylinder for it to register a count?

I just purchased a remote off of ebay and spent almost an hour just trying to enter the registration mode.

Is there any other way to enter the registration mode? Is it really difficult to perform. Or am I just doing it wrong. I've done it slow and fast. How long do you have to leave it in the cylinder for it to register a count?

..bump..

I just did this yesterday --

I think in the beginning your in the mindset of doing it very carefully, therefore you end up doing it too slow. That's what I thought was necessary to make it recognize what I was trying to do.

So, anyway, after doing that a few times with no success, I started doing it more quickly. I figure on my successful attempt I did it exaclty about one key insertion/removal per second. Perhaps even a bit less -- it felt like I was going too quick, but it worked.

So maybe try the process a bit quicker.

Good luck.

Edited by Rednif

• 4 weeks later...

I got a new FOB from a buddy. I had a little trouble getting it to accept the 6 in/outs of the keys. It took locking the doors first to get it to go. Then it went first time. Then to make both FOBs work I had to unlock, then lock the doors again to get it to accept the second FOB.

In a nutshell:

got in, shut all doors.

locked doors with drivers door button.

insert and remove key 6 times.

blink blink.

insert key turn to acc.

push button on new fob.

blink blink.

unlock then lock doors with drivers door button.

push button on old fob.

blink blink.

remove key.

unlock doors.

open drivers door.

close drivers door.

tested.

both working.

Hope this might help somebody else! :)

• 1 month later...

So, I went back today and tried again... after almost 3 months. I figured out why it wasn't working the first time.

You know when you leave the keys in the ignition or leave the lights on and that *teeeet* *teeeet* noise warns you of something? Well, whenever that noise happens when I insert the key it doesn't work. I found out that it has to have no noise at all when I insert it.

Having said that, I finally got the hazards to flash easily after inserting 6 times in 10 seconds. When I switch the ignition to ACC and press a button, nothing happens. I'm looking tomorrow for another battery. I purchased it from eBay so it maybe its a bad battery. Its a knockoff, lets hope that's not the case. *Please be the battery...*

Wish me luck.

• 3 months later...

i purchased a new remote for mom's 99 and the dealership couldn't program it, i watched three of them try the procedure stated above and it wouldn't work, they said that the "smart entrance control unit" needs replacing and it goes for $425.19 canadian, that is a nice expensive part, i told my mom just not to leave any valuables in it, let it get stolen, lol, its in rough shape,

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the newbie question, but do any 02 pathies have the option for remote operation of the rear hatch? I managed to program a maxima remote - the trunk button makes a click noise under the dash but does nothing else.

• 3 years later...

Hope this helps anyone with the remote entry unlock/lock system. If your remote control is lost, broken or stolen, here's the procedure for programming a new one to your vehicle. Info prompted by DylanMarley12, provided by 88pathoffroad.

This is a PDF file, a copy of Nissan North America's TSB on remote programming procedures. It should apply to 96-up Pathfinders, even though the document says 98-up. Give that a try.

http://Nissan.damagedreality.com/Nissanremoteprogramming.pdf

If that doesn't work or you have problems, try using this as a reference.

RemoteEntry_Program.gif

If neither of those procedures works for you, check your fuses. There is a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse panel that feeds the remote control module, which also feeds the horn and hazard lights from what I hear.

I tried your link - it doesn't work - where I can I see this?

• 1 year later...

I hate to be the guy to revive a zombie thread but here it goes. I'm trying to program a RKE on a 1998 SE and can't get into the programming mode. I've tried a bunch of times and only once did I get the lights to flash, but then it didn't seem to take with the remote. Now every time I try sticking the key in and out of the ignition I get nowhere - no lights flashing. Is there a trick to the timing or some other way to get this done?