Synthetic

Guest Guinness

Guest Guinness

I'm curious, does anyone use synthetic oil in their 2001 SE?

Is it better than using conventional oil?

Guinness

Edited by Guinness

I just use regular dino oil. Castrol GTX 5W-30 and Nissan filter every 3k. Same thing in my Maxima. I've thought about going synthetic, mainly in the max but eh, quality dino oil and filter changes every 3k is fine.

I agree 01. Plus changing my oil every 3,000 miles gives me a chance to check over my Pathy. I have friends the swear by synthetic, but I think I will also stay with my GTX for now. Also changing your oil with synthetic means you can run 5,000 to 10,000 before you next oil change, and I'm just not comfortable with that!

:oops: I do not have a 2001 pathy i have a 97 pathy and a 2004 chevy 2500 silverado and I do not use synthetic in either for two main reasons first off if your motor is close to leaking like a seal is on it's way out synthetic oil will make it leak alot sooner as the viscosity is alot thinner and it finds leaks and makes them evident. number two is it is expensive and for a vehicle that will be taken off road I would not want to go 5 to 10 thousand miles after i have been wheelin. I suggest using good dyno oil. Save the synthetic for the caddy you buy when your 65.

I've never had any problems with dino oil, but I once loosened up all the seals in a DOHC honda engine with synthetic, causing leaks and burning oil.... car was made to run dino...

It's cheaper to change dino regularly than it is to change synthetic half as often, so I stick with dino now!

Guest cincicycles

Are there any issues with going from syn back to dyno? I just bought a 2001 that has had syn in it since it was new. Too pricey for me to do and I also like to change my own pretty regularly at 3000.

synth is da shizit though. my old pathy was run on synth only in later part of its life. there is nothing wrong with running 5k with one of those oils. mobil oils are all 5k or more nowadays. nissan recommends 5k intervals anywhoo. i have been blending mobil and mobil1 for some time now on this truck. i like it and eventually i will switch completely..

new technology is good so why not use it?

I agree with MZ -- I run synth in both my Pathy and the VW and love it. I still change about every 4-5k miles though.

The pathy's been run on synth for about the past 150,000 miles, and I'm just about 30K miles away from the 300K mark. I'm sure the synth has helped make it last so long.

Guest path98

Dino oils suck and kill your engine. Yes, you may have to change some seals on an older car when switching over to synththetic but the time is well worth it if you plan to hold on to it... Heres an article on dino verses synthetic and it tells you that even some synthetics still contain some petroleum which breaks down easily and kills your car. http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/

It's a matter of opinion. There are people who swear by the grace of God that synth. is the way to go because they have a million miles on their cars. Then there's other who have just as many miles and have never steered away from

5W-30 and have the same results. It's a choice.

(BTW I'm poor so I use the cheap stuff :D)

yes but look at that link and you'll see a huge difference in internals of the engine.. clean or gunked up, your choice.

btw. synth doesn't make you car leak oil.. the holes are already there; just so happens that synth cleans the engine and shows them to you. :)

-argue- Ok there are some pro's and cons to synth. all i know is i have a camaro SS and when synth started coming out i was all about it. my dad started running it in his cadillac. I ran my car "really" hard and fast so blew gaskets here and there then blew the motor. mechanic said not to run the synthetic. if i was going to be racing it around. My dads cadillac was 3 years old when he started running synthetic it had about 18,000 miles on it. at 75000 the bearings went out and the crank!!! And trust me my dad drives very easily. Mechanic could not say definetly whether it was because of the synthetic but never the less he switched back (bought a new car too) and to this day not a problem with either my dads car or mine although mine does not get driven very much at all. All i am saying is it is totally by decision but if you change your dino on time there is no difference but price... besides how long have they been selling dyno oil???? it's gotta work.

many good points here. synthetic is great in my opinion. synthetics are of course man made, and were originally made to be used in jet engines as they needed a lubricant that wouldn't decompose or break down under strenuous situations, as well as being a whole lot cleaner. a car engine doesn't have the great demands of a jet engine, but is strenuous and hot enough to burn oil and create "sludge". all of my seals are good as good can be, so i use synthetic, to help fight sludge, and take advantage of the lubricating ability of synthetics. i figure that the good lubrication, and lack of sludge will let take a load off of my engine in the long run. i've only seen a difference of +1-1.5 MPG after switching to synthetic. although synthetics and "dino" oils are made to last over 3k miles nowadays, i'm still very religioius about changing oil and do it every 2.5k miles. the oil isn't as dark and thick as it is when it's run in the engine longer. cleaner is better in my eyes =P