Car Storage Tips

DJ Dank

So in about 2 weeks I will be heading over to Maui for about 7 months. The Pathy will hopefully be stored in a garage at a relative's house. Maybe even in outdoors in a driveway if the garage space falls through.

Are there any special preparations I should do for the Pathy so it will be fine during that period of inactivity?

I will be changing the oil this week, disconnecting the battery when I store it, and making sure the gas tank is full. Is there anything else I should absolutely do?

Thanks guys!

Take the weight off the tires.

Consider blowing in that foam stuff into each cylinder. Coats the cylinder walls to prevent rusting. Used a lot in marine applications.

Good wax job, especially if it is outside.

I can not think of anything else, you have the other stuff covered. So, have fun!

:aok: Everybody here is right, every year i store my camaro outside since my garage is packed tight with my dirt bike and a bunch of crap. I love my camaro so here is what i do... I wax it inside, put alot of amor all on the inside change the oil, then i put stabil in the fuel tank run the car for like twenty minutes (one last hooraa) this keeps the gas in good shape. Then i park it raise it off the tires on jackstands and cover it either with a car-cover or a big tarp. I know it seems like a lot to do for just 7 months but i do it every winter for a few months since i will not be driving my camaro. If you love your truck like i love my cars and my truck then you might consider it. hope this helps have a great time in Maui. -alcohol- :beer::clap: :bow:

-thnkboutit- I almost forgot i disconnect the battery and take it out since it is for the winter but if your relative is going to be home while your gone just have them start the truck atleast once every two weeks and let it run for a few this will save the gas, oil and no rust in the cylinders and you will not have to disconnect the battery, just a thought.

What I do when I store my Maxima:

- Full detail

- Stock wheels

- Oil change

- Full tank of gas

- Remove battery

- Dryer sheets under the hood

- Towel stuffed in the tailpipe

- Car cover

I think thats everything...

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm so bummed that I'll be leaving the Pathy behind...but its only temporary. Also because I just paid her off last month after 3 years. :contract:

Towel stuffed in the tail pipe? Hmmm, thats a new one to me. To keep water and condensation out? I'm not sure if I will have the option of jacking the car up off the tires...how detrimental will this be to my tires?

I weighed out the option of possibly taking it with me but I can't justify the $1800 round trip ticket. :eek: Our return flight is for 9/14/06 so I am planning on buying a "cruiser" for under $1000 and drive it and sell it when that time comes.

Depending on what my internet situation is when I first get out there, I'll ask for feedback on the different cars we will be looking at.

Sounds like a rough time for the near future! Have fun!

Regarding the tires, aging and cracking of the sidewalls is an obvious risk, although only 7 months on properly inflated tires would probably be fine. Like has been said, if you have anybody you can trust back home, have them fire it up from time to time. A regular drive around town or to the grocery store even would help. There is nothing to prevent aging like regular use.

im not sure how long it takes to flat spot tires but i've heard of it happening so if ure relatives could maybe move it like a foot or 2 every couple of months i think u would be fine and i'd coat'em up with some conditioner(tire magic or something like that) or if ure using a car cover i think that should cover them up

DJ, how secure is the place you are going to be leaving the Pathy?

If not sure or is a higher crime rate and you can not get it inside, consider taking out the battery and a key piece that would make the motor run and put a steering wheel lock on. Would hate to see it disappear while you were gone :o .

Rag in the tail pipe would keep small critters out of the exhaust system but make sure it is dry before you do it otherwise you will trap moisture in there.

Either way I would buy a big plastic drop cloth that can cover all the ground under the truck...this keeps moisture from rising up out of the ground to your vehicle...Honda's and Nissans love to rust so block what you can with the plastic!!

Def fresh oil and full tank with stabil...battery..yup that too, wax indeed..you guys are good at this...My honda would be happy at any of your homes!!!

...sunshade...good idea!!

....sup with the dryer sheetz? or do they go inside?

....sup with the dryer sheetz? or do they go inside?

I keep the dryer sheets under the hood so rodents dont make that their homes under there and nibble on wires. Moth balls will work too, the dryer sheets smell better tho imo haha.