What parts usually break?

nycxice13

If you lift your truck, your CV's will wear faster... I am replacing the stock hubs with Warn Manual hubs to lessen the wear...

other than that, it depends what you smash your truck into... lol...

Stryker, what parts usually break? Im lookin to start going off raod just wanna know what to expect.

as said above. first thing to go is the cv boot. then the joint then then entire drive axle. (it makes ur 4x4 work)

i beat on my r50 harder than anyone i know or have seen so when i break something...most other people dont. heres a list of stuff i have broken on my truck:

1. cv drive axles - get warn man hubs (get out lock instead of auto hubs)

2. engine (GET SKIDS) black panther or ac

3. front and rear bumpers - unless u can find a tj 15 good luck or u can make one like tyler or myself did.

4. dents and scratches from trees, branches, rocks

5. stock airbox - mine got destroyed, so i did a k&n open element, which got destroyed, so i made a snorkel

6.interior is complete mess because of the amount of mud/water ive taken on, its like the titanic

7.sensors (o2, heat something or other, vss)

im sure there is more i just cant remember as the temporal lobe....has taken 1 too many hits for me to do so.

2. engine (GET SKIDS) black panther or ac

Definately... I coulda saved myself $1200 damage (bent subframe) if I had my skid plates a month earlier... also consider sliders (heavy duty offroad 'step bars') to save your rockers...

skidplates: http://www.blackpantherskidplates.com

sliderz: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml#NPF (although we'll likely be fabbing up our own)

Also, with the manual hubs, you have to be sure you keep them greased, or you risk blowing it.

Be sure that all nuts and bolts are tight.

Another vulnerable part is the alternator, though not nearly as vulnerable as on the Xterras.

Stryker, what parts usually break? Im lookin to start going off raod just wanna know what to expect.

I know you addressed the question to Stryker, so I'll assume you have plans to beat on your Pathy. It's sort of a weird question, asking what parts break first, rather than what you should do to prevent your truck from breaking...

Anyhoo... IMO:

How liberally you use the go-pedal, how high you launch, and how careless you are with your equipment will determine the parts that fail the most. The size of your pocketbook, in part, will determine how much care you take while off-roading.

For example, if you love slogging through mud, the parts that will fail the first will be the alternator, the engine, the ECU, the brakes, the hubs, and most things electrical.

If you love rock-crawling, the parts that will fail first will be your rocker panels, undercarriage parts like gas tank, oil pan, transmission, transfer case, and other body parts.

If you love launching your truck in the air, the parts that will fail first will be the suspension bits and the chassis.

That being said, even with careful driving, the parts that will likely need attention first will be:

shocks

struts

rear control arms

inner tie rod sockets

hubs

brakes

CV axles

Note that these components are also things that tend to wear out even if the truck never sees dirt.

Edited by XPLORx4

I know you addressed the question to Stryker...

That might have been because it was a response from another thread which I spilt this from...

Good info XPLORX4! B)

LOL@K9... it could be worse in C4S's case his passenger decided she should mod & wheel her OWN truck... so the first thing we broke was the bank!

That might have been because it was a response from another thread which I spilt this from...

Good info XPLORX4! B)

LOL@K9... it could be worse in C4S's case his passenger decided she should mod & wheel her OWN truck... so the first thing we broke was the bank!

hehehe I hear ya. Don't think I have to worry about that. Nancy gives me grief every time I come home with the truck muddy. She'd be the mall-crawler if anything.

or it might be because i break the most stuff because of my sheer stupidity levels. which tend to be higher than most as an 18 year old. my mentality is as follows:

"oh i can do that" later to realize i cant

"that water isnt deep" later to realize it was and i hydrolocked my motor

"those rocks arnt that big" later to realize they were, it they liked my oil pan

"i wont get stuck in that" later ot realize i will, and did

if you tell me i cant do something, im going to find out for myself, its how i learn.

Edited by max_stryker

or it might be because i break the most stuff because of my sheer stupidity levels. which tend to be higher than most as an 18 year old. my mentality is as follows:

"oh i can do that" later to realize i cant

"than water isnt deep" later to realize it was and i hydrolocked my motor

"those rocks arnt that big" later to realize they were, it they liked my oil pan

"i wont get stuck in that" later ot realize i will, and did

if you tell me i cant do something, im going to find out for myself, its how i learn.

:lol:

Post of the year award!

can u explain what the inner tie rod socket is and what happens??

The inner tie rod socket is the part that connects your steering rack to the outer tie rod end. Protected by the steering rack boots, the inner tie rod socket is a ball-joint of sorts. You need an inner tie rod tool to remove and replace it.

Search the AC 96+ forum with the keywords "+inner +tie +rod" and date range newer than 3 years and you'll get some posts I made regarding the parts and replacement procedure.

The inner tie rod socket is the part that connects your steering rack to the outer tie rod end. Protected by the steering rack boots, the inner tie rod socket is a ball-joint of sorts. You need an inner tie rod tool to remove and replace it.

Search the AC 96+ forum with the keywords "+inner +tie +rod" and date range newer than 3 years and you'll get some posts I made regarding the parts and replacement procedure.

Excellent ifo...thank you for the post, I too was wondering about this.

my mentality is as follows:

there is another way:

http://www.overlandexperts.com/

Off road driving schools are getting more common, as are independent instructors. Spending a few hundred bucks on quality instruction is way better than a few hundred $$ repair bill for a 1-second judgement error... you don't have to learn what NOT to do by actually doing it yourself.

Most schools give a group discount if you have a club that wants to be trained, but ultimately the closer you can get to 1 on 1 with an instructor is best.

m.