Gas milage

sbcathey

I just bought a 97 pathfinder se v6 5spd. On the highway comming home I almost got 16MPG. and the first tank around town i got 15.5mpg. just about 275 miles per tank. Is this normal for a stock set up? Any imput would be appriciated.

Scott

The fuel gauges are not the best for measuring fuel consumption, make sure you actually record mileage and gallons consumed.

I consistently average 25 MPG (imperial) on the highway but that seems to be the exception.

I've got a 98 auto as well. My best - 25% city, 75% highway in 90 degree heat - was 280 miles for about 16-17 gallons - so 16-17 mpg consistently for my job last summer. Now, I average around 250 miles so 14-16 mpg with 50-50 city-highway.

However, I'm running A/T tires, got a hitch, and a 30lb sub box so I take hits in the fuel economy. So it also depends on what toys you lug around with ya as well as the tires and how heavy your foot is.

Edited by t0ast

Depending on how many miles are on the vehicle, how well-tuned your engine is and what your driving habits are like, that sounds about right. The rated fuel economy is 15city/19hwy, so 16 isn't extraordinarily abnormal.

yep...a month after purchasing my pathy (bought it used), i decided to change the plugs, oil, oil and air filters...very noticeable gain in gas mileage...especially since it seems like the previous owner hasn't changed the air filter for quite some time. and the plug electrodes looked pretty bad.

What are some things that I can do to get better gas milage? I just changed the spark plugs and oil (10w-30). Seems to me that it didnt help that much. I have a cone filter and exhuast and am still getting the same MPG as I was before the mods and sometimes worse. I went from a 30 inch tire to a 31 how much can that throw off MPG? I admit that at times I do have a lead foot but even when I drive like a grandma it does not improve it that much. Sometimes improving to 15 MPG. :help: It is mostly city driving!

Edited by Entropy98

However, I'm running A/T tires, got a hitch, and a 30lb sub box so I take hits in the fuel economy.  So it also depends on what toys you lug around with ya as well as the tires and how heavy your foot is.

I lug around quite a bit of field gear (and a backpack water can for firefighting in the summer) and still get the good gas mileage.

It is the right foot that really controls this. I read on another forum that if you go over about 2,750 RPM, the computer kicks in all it can and the mileage takes a big hit. I use the cruise as much as possible and keep to the posted speed limit (as long as I am not holding anyone up :lol: ). I also keep my tires at 45 psi (they can go to 80 but that is tooooo harsh)

I do not have a clue about city driving as I do not live in a city :laugh: , most of the driving is highway/gravel road.

Here is a link to the Nissan Truck Club Forum topic on this: link (Look out, Pezzy is a mod there too, so be good :hide: )

city driving takes a big hit on my mileage i must say. i notice that when i'm running errands around town, i get around 13-15 mpg, and that's on the hilly streets of san francisco, and on top of that...a lead food every once in a while to get around buses and double parked taxi cabs and what not. so if you're always doing city driving...i'd say don't expect to get the advertised mileage.

Guest dssenglish

Yeah...I'm in upstate NY and my mileage droped a lot from summer to winter. I could get 21 mpg for highway in the summer, but now I have been getting 16.5-17. It could be the additives, or the pathfinder may just not like the cold. I also take my rack off in the summer, but keep it on in the winter for skiiing.

Check the distributor cap, rotor, and wires. I know when I did my worn plugs, my rotor was pretty bad on the leading edge. Fuel filter but that's a pain to change.

But yeah, you can't really get around city driving. What I'm trying now is foot off the gas when I see a red light so I coast to a stop rather than braking. It takes a lot of patience to do it, and I can't always do it when there are cars behind me.

well, one thing is for sure...wheels and tires make all the diff in the world!!! I am getting new tires and in the process am selling my old ones...Cooper Discoverer AST II's 255/70/16 w/about 10K on them ($200) and they were mad heavy next to the stock XE 15's w/ 235/75/15...yikes poor pathy and I make it throw those around all the time!!! After removing my 16" chrome to pop off the tires i realized that I hate my stockers...mainly because they are only 6" wide!!

Yeah...I'm in upstate NY and my mileage droped a lot from summer to winter. I could get 21 mpg for highway in the summer, but now I have been getting 16.5-17. It could be the additives, or the pathfinder may just not like the cold. I also take my rack off in the summer, but keep it on in the winter for skiiing.

The cold does affect your milage... mine goes south when the temps drop.

The rack will also cause you some added drag

I've only had my '02 for a month but put about 1500 miles on it and am consistently getting 15-16mpg. That's about 50/50 hwy/city. Not impressed with this pig's mileage but it's an SUV...whaddya expect? I sold my '02 Sentra for this so the fuel-shock is rather intense :o

Well I replaced the plugs and it is doing quite a bit better. My son rest the trip somewhere between 210-220 so Im not sure exactly how many miles I got but it was very close to 300 miles this tank (which is 16.6mpg) all in town. so I'm thinking highway should be up to 19-20. oh yeah one other factor I had the front drive shaft out so I could switch the crank position sensor. so maybe I didn't gain as much as I thought.