R50 or 2006 Xterra?

02flhrci

Hi-

I currently drive a 2001 Pathy: stick, 3.5, 75k miles. I have been lusting after a lift, new rims/tires, manual hubs, etc. My questions is this...should I put the money into the Pathy or just go buy a new Xterra Off-Road edition (6-speed, 4.0, etc)? Any thoughts?

What's your goal?

Just for looks, or soft core off roading, or hard core bashing?

Moderate off-roading, but this vehicle also is my daily driver and I tend to drive ~15k miles a year on the road.

I live in Colorado and I do enjoy travelling where few others do...

Cheaper to do the upgrades to the Pathy, and you will still have to fork out for a lift, new rims, etc for the X.

With those mods done, the Pathy will be very capable so you may not need the extra capability of the X.

Tough call for sure.

How about the other X? sly Good for the trail! :laugh:

any brand new car gonna be pretty nice BUT.......

i tend to agree with trainman, suspension and tyres on the 01 pathy and your gonna have a pretty capable car, without a huge amount of money be spent.

as much as im a 4wd nut, i dont think i could ever own a new 4wd cause i would not want to damage it or scratch the paint on it.

i can only ponder how nice an 01 is as a daily driver, but i have 88 d21 heavily modified as adaily driver and i think its comfortable. :D

Edited by sw

any brand new car gonna be pretty nice BUT.......

i tend to agree with trainman, suspension and tyres on the 01 pathy and your gonna have a pretty capable car, without a huge amount of money be spent.

as much as im a 4wd nut, i dont think i could ever own a new 4wd cause i would not want to damage it or scratch the paint on it.

i can only ponder how nice an 01 is as a daily driver, but i have 88 d21 heavily modified as adaily driver and i think its comfortable.  :D

Generally I agree with people....spend a bit on the Pathy...BUT

I inherited the Pathy, and it was NOT particularly well taken care of. That being said, I have put some cash into it and while there is nothing specifically wrong with it, I don't trust it. The pathy makes some strange noises, the clutch is weird, and I have a strange feeling that over the next couple of years I am going to drop some MAJOR cash to keep the Pathfinder on the road.

Or on the other hand, am I just trying to justify the purchase of a new Xterra? :crazy:

Edited by 02flhrci

Personally, I'd sell the current one and pick up an older one and put the cash differential into making it exactly what I want. But then again, I've been asked several times why I drive the stuff I do when I can afford flashier.

I would have said stick with ethe pathy also... but if you dont trust it - that's an entirely different story... I'd rather wheel a truck thats a few years old, than a brand new X...

x terra all the way

Agreed. A far more capable car than the R50 Pathy could ever hope to be. In fact, and it has been said before, the X is more Pathy than the R50, period! If you want to soft road, get the Pathy. If you want to off road, get the X.

a new X...

:oops: I would never buy any vehicle new (unless I became independantly wealthy and didn't care if I wasted my money). At the very least look for a lease return, let some other idiot loose all the value on it (especially if you wanna wheel it).

Well, I am pretty partial to the look of the Xterra for sure. It's a nice looking ride. And the R50's a very nice looking as well. In my personal opinion, I'd way rather look for an older but still very nice looking Pathy, say, 90-95. Sell the Newer pathy as it's value is WAY more, then dump the difference into all the toys, bells and whisltes for the older model. You could throw on all new Exhaust and Headers, New Cam shafts and Polish, Add a chip, throw on a 1"-2" Body lift, Some nice aftermarket rear Springs and shocks, Some new Rubber, and probably still have enough for a Solid axle swap. And if you consider that your willing to dump that much money into an X then you could put a hell of a lot more into an Older Pathy. I'm afraid I would never EVER buy a new vehicle as I don't like the Idea of buying it, driving off the lot and knowing that it just lost half its value. It just can't be justified in my books.

Dowser

Edited by Dowser

should I put the money into the Pathy or just go buy a new Xterra Off-Road edition (6-speed, 4.0, etc)? Any thoughts?

Careful with those X's...I used to work at a Nissan dealership (in sales...LOL!) and had a lot of friends in the service Dept. The new X's were seeming to come in there all too often for first year glitches (this was early 2005) Not sure about the '06's...do a little research, www.nissanhelp.com www.edmunds.com or even pick up the latest Consumer Reports.

Just thought I'd give you all an update if anyone cares :P

Went to the local Nissan shop today to peak at / drive a new X. Drove it. Bought it. What a GREAT vehicle. Bought a 6-speed Off Road.

I want to thank all the members of this board for the help over the last few months. You guys are great...very helpful! For those of you in Colorado, let's go wheeling this summer!!

:beer:

Just thought I'd give you all an update if anyone cares :P

Went to the local Nissan shop today to peak at / drive a new X. Drove it. Bought it. What a GREAT vehicle. Bought a 6-speed Off Road.

I want to thank all the members of this board for the help over the last few months. You guys are great...very helpful! For those of you in Colorado, let's go wheeling this summer!!

:beer:

Congrats!

Should be a blast! Have fun.

Congrats on the new X... now lets see some scrat... umm I mean wheeling pic's :D

LOL

It's funny...I pick up the X on Monday (tomorrow) and am leaving town for a week on Wednesday. I have no idea when I will get to do some wheelin', but I will make a point of taking some pics and posting them when I do!

LOL

It's funny...I pick up the X on Monday (tomorrow) and am leaving town for a week on Wednesday. I have no idea when I will get to do some wheelin', but I will make a point of taking some pics and posting them when I do!

Congrats on the X...have fun and be sure to post pics of a mudded up new truck ;) Good job on the 6-spd. as well!

Pictures...I know I know. I picked up the X yesterday (Monday) afternoon and I've been slammed at work AND I'm going out of town tomorrow. That being said...you're right. When I get home this evening I will snap some pics.

By the way...I LOVE the X... :hide: