How to: Prevent Fire (clean blower resistors)

ticker

Nice work. Be sure to check the blower motor squirrel cage to the right for leaves as well. Unless you like having your blower sound like a 10 year old's bicycle with playing cards clothes pinned to the spokes, lol

The plastic grates are pretty broken. I snaked the hand vac hose down there best I could. It's going to the carwash for a big vac tonight. I'll probably just snap off what little plastic remains and get some new ones soon. Or fabricate one. I'm not very pleased with those plastic bits. I don't park under trees, so I should be good for a few days without one.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ones on the cowl? You'll need a pick or a little Phillips and six zip ties. Each grille is held down by three little rectangular-topped clip fasteners, and each of those has a circular bit in the middle. Press down on the circular bit and the clip releases. If you're careful, and lucky, you can reuse those clips. The other 364 days of the year, you put the grilles back on with the zip ties.

If you remove the black plastic cover under the passenger's side grille and look in at the right angle, you can see into your blower. I glued a piece of wire screen over that hole after a mouse took a crap in my blower. It'll probably keep the pine needles out, too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My heat hasn't been working as well as I would like on these colder days. I found this thread and thought I had solved the mystery.After removing the glove box I found that my Pathy didn't even have cabin air filters or the resistor pack. I can see the cut outs where they would be if they had actually installed them. I did cut out the slot and installed the cabin air filters. But how in the wild world of Nissans do I have a multiple speed fan if I don't have the resistor pack to control it??? I'm confused! Anybody else have this set up?

I thought​ it was on a previous page of this thread. IIRC about mid run of the wd21 they moved the resistors to a different location. I will look around a bit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Could this be why my whole dash vibrates and makes a lot of noise when turned up to 3 or 4?

You have leaves in the blower motor squirrel cage. It sits upright like a bowl to catch everything that comes in. Pull your resistor and clean it and the box then drop the blower motor to the right of the resistor and clean it out. This happens to alot of vehicles.

James

I have this problem on the '92 I just bought. Thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I removed my glove box today to clean the blower assembly but instead of finding the metal panel with 4 screws I was confronted with molded plastic that seems to be attached to/part of the dash....

I tried to figure out how to remove the dash but have not had any success... I think i need to remove the trim that covers the demister vents so I can access the screws underneath but i'm finding it really difficult.

I've popped the clips along the front edge of the demister trim but it still doesn't want to move. What am I doing wrong?

daf07bb0cd.png

acbae0f79a.png

• 1 year later...