Stillen fresh air intake

dernt

What do you guy think? Certainly not for puddle jumpers! Anyone else put one of these in? My fresh air intake sensor grommet was smaller than the hole that was drilled in the pipe. Also the kit comes with another pipe which looks like you could mount the filter under the hood rather than under the fender well. I'm thinking under the hood warm air might be worth the piece of mind. I don't go through deep puddles, but you never know.

stillen1.jpg

stillen2.jpg

stillen3.jpg

stillen4.jpg

Dernt, That thing is sweet! :o

More info please!!

Do you notice a difference?? Where did you buy it? What was the damage? :hide:

I would figure that the pipe size and less bends idea would have to give more power/tq. Now you just need that e-fan and you will think that you have a new truck!!

I don't think that there is any real risk posed there, just swap the short pipe when you are planning on drving in real crap! My rex has its intake and filter right behind the front bumper, where most people stick fog lights. The hole in the front bumper is actually for the brakes to get fresh cool air, so that helps tell you where it is, never had a problem with it, and I have drove it in rain. What I do to compensate for its location is clean it out about every other oil change....this is way more often then the manufactorer says to but its about keeping the car in great shape!

post-7-1137342405.jpg

Edited by 98silverpathy

What's an e-fan? I found it on ebay, new in the box for $130. It's not a tire smoking upgrade, but it looks cool. I'll post more impressions after a week or so. I'm also monitoring my gas mileage. Before it was 16.8-16.9 mpg.

Its a great set up...

I personally and not to take away from what your doing or the end use of your intake... See if possibly you can mount the filter under the hood, right where the the elbow goes down into the wheel well... I would hate to hear about road water or a parking lot puddle horror story....

I have a JWT on my 95 and I am overly cautious on puddles I will and wont go through... The choice we make in going from the stock to open intakes... DJ_Dank also has his mounted under the hood to reduce the chance of sucking in some water....

Fixed the color tags for ya...

Edited by vengeful

Bah, my car has been driven in rain and snow, just keep the filter clean and don't submerge your end. I do not drive into puddles, but have never had a problem..once just for piece of mind after driving in the rain I took my pipe work apart to see how far the water got...only about 3 inches behind the filter was wet...I would have to attribute that much to just what was in the air. But of course to each his own (or her) risk!

See the white area that has the dashes in it...that is my pass side tire...look a little below this to see the ridges in the filter and look at the bottom of the pic and you will see the gravel..I have no shields anywhere....yeah it is sort of balls to the wall close!

post-7-1137527035.jpg

I've got the JWT, and I've never had a problem....

I've driven through water up to the side windows (well above headlight level....I had to put the windows up because it was pouring in OVER the sills...haha)...

When I got out of the hole, I popped the hood, the filter was moist...checked hte MAF and it was dry...Who needs a snorkel? :cool2:

I do not drive into puddles...

Well, even ON ROAD I've hit some huge puddles on the highway... This summer we had a lot of mid afternoon downpours, and the only way I'd keep that sucker clear if it was on my truck would be to come to a full stop on the highway and roll through at walking speed.

I wouldnt be comfortable with that set up... I'm saying be very careful if you keep it like that.

Who needs a snorkel? :cool2:

:rolleyes: Son you need to hit some real trails someday.

You got very very lucky. On longer water crossings as soon as the filter gets wet enough it stalls the engine and you end up sitting in 4 feet of water. It's even worse when you're stuck and you're givin 'er hell to spin those mudders, and there is a lot of air being drawn in to the engine. Basically unless all you do is desert or rocks, you need a snorkel.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Img_3134.jpg

Holy crapp! Wow, that's not a trail, that's a LAKE!!!

Any deeper and it would've floated away! That Pathy must have the amphibious mod...

Whew!

Edited by XPLORx4