tubular step or running board?

chapter

I just bought a pathfinder 2002 LE and there are running board on it. I don't like very much these running board, they look's very fragile!!!!

So is it better to change them for tubular step like on the SE?????

I checked with the dealer and it's about 400$ CAN without installation but it should be easy to install.

Thanks

Well, it depends on what style you like.

In all honesty, both the SE steps and the LE boards are fragile. If say you are off-road and hit either on a rock, either would bend, dent, or break. If you are looking for an almost indestructable, heavy-duty type of running board look at rock sliders. I guess you could call them running boards, as you could use them that way, but they are designed to protect the rocker panels and doors from rock damage and clearance issues while off-road. I don't know off the top of my head where you get them though.

if you plan on off roading your rig, you may want to loose them altogether.

yup

you can get the ones for offroad @ www.4crawler.com he does sliders for our trucks.

If you dont offroad and want step rails, check ebay... they should be really easy to install - just a few bolts.

the factory tubular steps are designed to LOOK like an off road setup, but are not designed to FUNCTION like real sliders or bars. the tubes will crush like a beer can if they touch rocks.

That said if you just want the look, then go that route.

My 02 Chilkoot has the tubular style. I have left them on as they offer some protection to the rockers and lower doors but they do not function at all well as footboards (unless you are 8 years old like my son :P ). They do not stick out enough to be useful but do stick out enough to get your pants/skirts dirty :furious: . And they collect plenty of dirt/rocks on the flat part that runs on the inner side of the tube.

yup

you can get the ones for offroad @ www.4crawler.com he does sliders for our trucks.

Definately look into these chapter, the tubuler (SE) ones are for looks only! If you bend them enough they will do damage to your rocker panels, it happened to mine before I put sliderz on.

My 02 Chilkoot has the tubular style.  I have left them on as they offer some protection to the rockers and lower doors but they do not function at all well as footboards (unless you are 8 years old like my son  :P  ).  They do not stick out enough to be useful but do stick out enough to get your pants/skirts dirty  :furious:  .  And they collect plenty of dirt/rocks on the flat part that runs on the inner side of the tube.

Definately look into these chapter, the tubuler (SE) ones are for looks only! If you bend them enough they will do damage to your rocker panels, it happened to mine before I put sliderz on.

and doors to... they are worthless and can only harm your truck if you wheel hard enough.

and doors to... they are worthless and can only harm your truck if you wheel hard enough.

Yes, the doors too.....although I didn't bend them that much, it was very close to some damage to the door when I opened it.......man, I hate those nerf bars pssd

Well Deej, there is a reason they call them Nerf bars....they're as soft as NERF! LOL...

If you do NOT go offroad, or only do forest roads or the like, then the SE style tubular step rails will do you just fine. If you go offroad, even moderately, where there is a chance of rocks, I would invest my money in a set of the Ultimate Rock Sliderz from 4Crawler (Link posted above). I have them and have wheeled the living heck out of my truck and do not have ANY rocker damage to show for it. Control arms and crossmembers and what have you, sure...but the sliders and rockers are all 100%.

i had the chrome ones that where flat on top and round on the bottom i took them off to see what they would like without them and as soon as i turned them up and down to lean them on the wall it sounded like a rain stick, i open the end and about a 5 pounds of rust casme out, needless to say i didnt put them back on, and even if i did they wouldnt be there know (this was before i became offroad active)

Well Deej, there is a reason they call them Nerf bars....they're as soft as NERF! LOL...

They are called "Pool Noodles" permanently in my vocabulary :D I can not stress how much I hate the things, and my wife wants them back on???? :crazy: