Which Suspension lift package?

OR99.5Speed

Which Suspension Package should I go with?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Suspension Package should I go with?

• AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Bilstein Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS9000x Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • OME HD ($$$): OME HD Springs, OME Shocks, OME Struts, Nissan strut mounts

Instead of getting a digital camera the Pathfinder is getting the royal treatment. After 103k miles of towing and general neglect, the completely shot suspension is getting replaced. Instead of replacing stock with stock, I want to kill two birds with one stone and put in a mild lift. The truck is not a big offroader, but will occasionally go wheeling once I get skids and tires. I just want good quality, I hate it when stuff breaks. I like a firm, controlled ride, but not buckboard stiff.

Which suspension package should I go for? I think that the 9000x is overkill for me, but I do occasionally need to fit 12 hot chicks in the truck. :dance:

I'm leaning towards the AC/Rancho/5000 package simply for the low price and uniformity of brands.

Warn hubs will come in May. Don't have the $$$ for that now.

Forgot to add, I will be paying my backwoods mechanic to install this stuff, is there anything special like extra washers needed with a certain package? Any fabrication necessary?

Does the mechanic or the alignment shop install the camber adjustment kit? :help:

I have the total OME set up and couldn't be happier...the truck can take on/off ramps at about 45 mph and still not have as much lean as it did with the wore out stockers!!!

I have installed 1" spacers in the front to have the truck set level...wish you lived near by we could do the lift over a couple of pizzas!!! No camber kit necessary but Warn hubs...for sure! I got a grand total of 2" all the way around...not much but the wheels and tires are in the mix. The spacers are made of steel and were crazy expensive (I thnik anyway) at a stout $160. I have a link to Warn hubs for about $127 shipped I think is what it was. Holla if you need anything!! ;)

...incidentally gorgeous truck!!

Edited by 98silverpathy
  • Like 1

I have the OME setup as well and love it. The truck handles much better now. I have KYB GR2 struts since OME didn't make them a year ago- do they make struts now?

The rear is a little stiff when the truck is empty and I don't really like that but I'm used to it and it only feels stiff on smallish, quick, bumps. With a full load, it is great though and nice on the highway as well. It actually raised my truck because of a lack of sag as in the stock springs.

the Emu set up doesn't require anything special from your mechanic - it installs identical to the original suspension. Since you aren't building for ultimate off-road clearance there is no reason to go with the 2 inch, and there are known drawbacks to that set-up, mainly the topping out issues. Even with serious off-roading in mind, there are very few instances where an Emu-equipped Pathy couldn't follow a 2 inch-lift equipped pathy. Put your money into rock sliderz and skid plates as you progress towards more difficult trails, and enjoy the benefits of the Emu suspension the other 99% of your miles. Honestly, it's a whole new driving experience on Emu's.

ooOoOo... I get to be the first with the AC lift to reply??

Actually, I would say that this is a good start, and search on this board & others to see what general opinions are. I found a lot of info & opinions that way... I ended up going with the 2" AC lift with KYB Struts, Bilstein Shocks. That's what made me happy... had no issues with it (other than topping out ON road like herm mentioned)... It does drive a lot more like a truck than before, not as cushy as stock, but it only took me a few weeks to get used to that.

If you concider spacers like 98silverpathy mentioned, I suggest you do some research into those also, as I have heard some negative feedback on the idea of them. Again, the end decision is yours... but make it educated.

Warn Hubs, I see no problem waiting for May... I had my lift done last April, have had no issues, but I will be installing the hubs this spring to lessen wear on my CV's.

That all said, I could swear I read a post from you only a couple days ago said you were selling... ????

ooOoOo... I get to be the first with the AC lift to reply??

Actually, I would say that this is a good start, and search on this board & others to see what general opinions are. I found a lot of info & opinions that way... I ended up going with the 2" AC lift with KYB Struts, Bilstein Shocks. That's what made me happy... had no issues with it (other than topping out ON road like herm mentioned)... It does drive a lot more like a truck than before, not as cushy as stock, but it only took me a few weeks to get used to that.

If you concider spacers like 98silverpathy mentioned, I suggest you do some research into those also, as I have heard some negative feedback on the idea of them. Again, the end decision is yours... but make it educated.

Warn Hubs, I see no problem waiting for May... I had my lift done last April, have had no issues, but I will be installing the hubs this spring to lessen wear on my CV's.

That all said, I could swear I read a post from you only a couple days ago said you were selling... ????

Haha, looks like I'm crazy right? I was selling but made up my mind not to take a huge hit in depreciation with a new car and just put a little more $$$ to get the Pathy perfect and the way I like it. Believe it or not, the stock suspension isn't cushy anymore becuase it has sagged so much it's at the end of its travel! The ride is awful and tons of body roll and tons of brake dive! Thanks for the info on the Warn hubs, glad to see I can get the $$$ first.

When I went to Rocky Road website, I have a few questions that maybe this crew can answer. First off, my truck is a 1999.5 but was built in 1/99. The Rocky Road website suggests that the new suspensions are for Pathfinders 2/99 and up. I hope that was just a mistake on their part and that it should be 1/99.

Second off, they do still sell OME struts, but it's a little rich at $720+shipping. Their only options are medium and comfort. I thought their was also a heavy-duty package?

It looks like I'll go with the OME as of now, especially considering their reputation for super-high quality. If it's a lot cheaper to not buy the OME struts I'll probably go with Flyer's setup with KYB front struts.

Thanks!

Edited by OR99.5Speed

I love my AC lift and Rancho 5000's. The ride is stiff and controlled and didnt cost me an arm and a leg (well I got the springs used off this board). After the lift settled a little bit the ride was exactly what I wanted in an SUV, stiff enough to perform well on the highway while still soft enough to take the riggors of off road use. The topping out struts you get used to, slow down over bumps. The main reason I didnt go with the OME set up was I didnt like the "drag car" stance it got being taller in the rear than in the front.

The main reason I didnt go with the OME set up was I didnt like the "drag car" stance it got being taller in the rear than in the front.

I have that with my AC lift... I prefer to call it the tow truck look.

The coils all cost about the same, regardless of lift.

I don't know of anyone running the Emu struts - that is new. Most go with the KYBs - Emu struts are way expensive. I did go with Emu shocks, a little pricey but they are beefy, no complaints. I like the KYB struts, so I'm not sure what the Emu's do differently. Strut failure is rare.

I bought the trim packers from Rocky Road but haven't installed them. What's up with the term 'trim-packers'??? It's a freakin' strut spacer! I figured since someone made them, I'd get 'em now while they are available. For $30 a pair that was a lot easier than making my own. Whenever I put a winch up front I'll put them on to counter the extra weight.

m.

The coils all cost about the same, regardless of lift.

I don't know of anyone running the Emu struts - that is new. Most go with the KYBs - Emu struts are way expensive. I did go with Emu shocks, a little pricey but they are beefy, no complaints. I like the KYB struts, so I'm not sure what the Emu's do differently. Strut failure is rare.

I bought the trim packers from Rocky Road but haven't installed them. What's up with the term 'trim-packers'??? It's a freakin' strut spacer! I figured since someone made them, I'd get 'em now while they are available. For $30 a pair that was a lot easier than making my own. Whenever I put a winch up front I'll put them on to counter the extra weight.

m.

Ah, thanks to herm and 98silverpathy for input on the strut spacer thingys!

So herm, does an OME equipped Pathfinder sit level without the spacers? My Pathfinder has a lot of weight for the back springs to carry, i.e. subwoofer, tow hitch and outside spare. I just want the truck to sit level, I couldn't care less if it has an extra 9/16" clearance on the front if the truck isn't level.

The KYB struts/OME shocks looks like the most cost-effective option.

i say hyper extended front suspension with coilovers, suspension arms, and titanium extended CV axles, warn hubs, $1200

i saw a site with it for pathfinders but forgot what it was

i say hyper extended front suspension with coilovers, suspension arms, and titanium extended CV axles, warn hubs, $1200

i saw a site with it for pathfinders but forgot what it was

Well Fueler, I much appreciate your willingness to buy me that suspension, I'll be more than willing to set up an escrow service... ;)

But I just want to know if the spacers will fix that drag car look, my Xterra had that where the back was higher than the front and I hated it so much!!! So does anyone have the spacers?

the Emu package does tend to set up a higher rear-end than front, but so do the AC coils, methinks. My thing is overland expedition travel, mutli-day (or week) being self-contained, so I prefer that to work well when I'm fully loaded. I think all R50s with Emu's packages set up that way. The 'look' of the higher rear doesn't bother me.

The strut spacers should help level it out, but I haven't installed them yet. Some on this list have, so they can chime in. You need longer bolts for the strut, I haven't looked into the specs yet, but measure the spacers and add that to the stock bolts. It doesn't have to be exact - they can be long because you have a lot of room under the hood where they stick up.

m.

The strut spacers should help level it out, but I haven't installed them yet. Some on this list have, so they can chime in. You need longer bolts for the strut, I haven't looked into the specs yet, but measure the spacers and add that to the stock bolts. It doesn't have to be exact - they can be long because you have a lot of room under the hood where they stick up.

m.

Thanks for pointing out the need for longer bolts on the strut! Problem is I have to get a shop to install the suspension because I will certainly screw everything up and don't have a floor jack or spring thingy.

I know the spacers are 9/16", so that makes since if I add that to the standard bolt length. How many strut bolts are there and roughly how long should the new strut bolts be? Hardware store? Maybe the Nissan parts guy will know.

Thanks

I could not be happier with my OME set up. Just so you know get the heavy duty coils in the front that way you wont have so much difference in the hight front to back. Originally I got the Medium coils and later went to the HD. Looks much better now. The pics are my PF on the Rocky Road site, and it is with HD in the front. I also went with kyb struts, if you have problems with them they are super easy to work with.

Edited by Entropy98

With the OME springs all the way around (Medium), my back end sits just slightly higher (good for highway stability :) ) but not by much at all. I hardly notice it and when i am going somewhere, it's normally with the dog and hear or bikes and gear. Once I get a couple of hunderd lbs, it sits completely level- same thing with one or two people in back. I have no problem with it. The Pathy handles so well now and seriously, I can't tell unless I look at it and really start thinking about it. Hmm...maybe the back is setttling a bit with my fat Boxer back there all the time.

post-7-1135912748.jpg

Thanks Flyer and 98silverpathy, those pics really helped! Nice Boxer too :D

I'll put on the 9/16" Rocky Road spacer then and see how it looks. That should be enough, because my outside spare+subs+hitch should help bring the back down a little bit.

Where did you all get the longer strut bolts? Anything else not mentioned? Thanks! :bow:

I'm running OME Mediums all around, OME shocks, and the KYB struts. The ride is perfect imo. It is quite stiff, but I got used to it quickly and it makes the Pathy feel much more stable. The handling is much better and the off road performance is also much better. My rear sits a bit higher than the front, but it's not enough of a difference to bother me at all. I am very glad I went with the OME lift. I was thinking about trying those spacers from rockyroad just to get a little more lift up front. Herm if its not too much trouble could you post a pic of the spacers?

706347_16_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, guys, lots of good info.

So how much lift are all you OME's getting?I've heard anywhere from 1/2" to 2", but would like to hear more numbers.

And if I go with OMEs, must I replace my stock rear shocks?

Great thread, guys, lots of good info.

So how much lift are all you OME's getting?I've heard anywhere from 1/2" to 2", but would like to hear more numbers.

And if I go with OMEs, must I replace my stock rear shocks?

Similar question...

Can I use my Monroe Reflex shocks and struts with the OME springs?