Which Suspension lift package?

OR99.5Speed

Which Suspension Package should I go with?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Suspension Package should I go with?

• AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Bilstein Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS9000x Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • OME HD ($$$): OME HD Springs, OME Shocks, OME Struts, Nissan strut mounts

We can understand :aok:

You may lose some high speed cornering stability, but pathfinders aren't exactly race cars anyway. By using the spacer your truck will look more level which is what most people like. I have not hear anything about the spacers making the body weaker and logistically they should not make it weaker since the same amount of metal is in contact with the body on the spacer as would be with the upper strut mount.

The only drawback I have heard is that Dean (xplorx4) pointed out that with the spacers installed the angle that the CV axle will be at under full extension is past its rated angle which could lead to CV axle failure.

I'd say the full OME set up is pricey but well worth it if you can afford such a super-fantastic mod. :aok:

For coils, the OME HD 2" springs are just retarded (as is damn sweet!). I combined those with KYB GR-2

struts and Bilstein 5100 shocks... and haven't looked back since :jig:

I've heard many good things about the AC lift too. As long as the springs are beefy enough (which they

will be), the only major worry is $$$. A suspension lift kit makes all the difference in the world on a

truck. The improvement between OEM and aftermarket is night and day. Well worth it!

• 1 month later...

Alright I have a question for those of you running 31s and a lift on aftermarket wheels.

Right now I've got 31x10.5 tires on 15x8 wheels with 4" backspacing, stock suspension. Needless to say, the tires stick out of the fenders by 2.5" ('97 LE model, I don't have flares).

The problem with this is if I flex out the suspension, the rear tires bottom out on the fender instead of traveling up inside the fender wells.

Will a lift solve this issue?

I think the key factor in my problem is the backspacing of the rims is quite aggressive.

It does drive a lot more like a truck than before, not as cushy as stock, but it only took me a few weeks to get used to that.

I think the stock suspension on the Pathy is too car-like for a SUV. Even with the 2" lift, the aftermarket shocks and struts are excellent. It drives way more like a truck should, which is appropriate for a R50 :D

As you can see from this reply to an almost 3-year old post, I'm bored at work... Being on this forum is easily the best way to pass the time. Work sucks!

• 1 month later...

Guys,

When you do 2" lift, does "topping out" always happen regardless of the shocks and struts combination?

If I am not mistaken, you place the struts in the front and shocks in the rear... and topping out has to do with the struts not being able to elongate any further and consequently, when you go over bumps or pot holes, your struts cannot be stretched any further and the front wheels just drop... am I right?

If this is the case, do all the struts have the same elongation and compression distance? For instance, does KYB GR2 have longer elongation and compression distance as compared to Rancho struts, etc?

Thanks...

• Like 1

Guys,

When you do 2" lift, does "topping out" always happen regardless of the shocks and struts combination?

If I am not mistaken, you place the struts in the front and shocks in the rear... and topping out has to do with the struts not being able to elongate any further and consequently, when you go over bumps or pot holes, your struts cannot be stretched any further and the front wheels just drop... am I right?

If this is the case, do all the struts have the same elongation and compression distance? For instance, does KYB GR2 have longer elongation and compression distance as compared to Rancho struts, etc?

Thanks...

All the aftermarket struts for the R50 have the same travel specs as OEM. My GR-2's always top out on me... I only know of one strut that is designed for a lifted R50; it isn't available in North America. :thumbsdown:

All the aftermarket struts for the R50 have the same travel specs as OEM. My GR-2's always top out on me... I only know of one strut that is designed for a lifted R50; it isn't available in North America. :thumbsdown:

Do you happen to know the make and model of that struts? Thanks...

I really want to lift my pathfinder, but the topping out issue scares me the most right now...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I went to the rocky road website and for the lift package, they also provide the packer... I suppose this is just spacer to be placed on top of the front struts to prevent that drag car look... am I right?

If yes, can i combine the packer from the rocky road with the lift kits from AC (AC 2" Spring + Rancho struts + Rancho 9000X shock)???

Also, in rocky road, they have medium, comfort, 2/99+ medium, 2/99+ comfort suspension packages with struts. What is the difference?

Thanks.

Andrew

Do you happen to know the make and model of that struts? Thanks...

I really want to lift my pathfinder, but the topping out issue scares me the most right now...

It's a company called Proflex. I don't know the model # but I do know they are no available in North America... :thumbsdown:

I've attempted to contact their HQ in the Netherlands regarding R50 products so let's hope something good comes out of it. :aok:

It's a company called Proflex. I don't know the model # but I do know they are no available in North America... :thumbsdown:

I've attempted to contact their HQ in the Netherlands regarding R50 products so let's hope something good comes out of it. :aok:

Wait for a second. B&G Suspension in California is the exclusive USA distributor of Proflex products. I contacted them about this to see of they could dig up some more info.

Jose

Wait for a second. B&G Suspension in California is the exclusive USA distributor of Proflex products. I contacted them about this to see of they could dig up some more info.

Jose

Maybe a group buy could be organized? I would purchase a set as long as they aren't outrageously expensive, however...

Wouldn't a longer strut place more stress on the CV axle though? I though with a 1 inch spacer on top of the upper strut mount that overextends the axles, so how could a strut with longer extension not do the same thing?

Maybe a group buy could be organized? I would purchase a set as long as they aren't outrageously expensive, however...

Wouldn't a longer strut place more stress on the CV axle though? I though with a 1 inch spacer on top of the upper strut mount that overextends the axles, so how could a strut with longer extension not do the same thing?

This is true...So even a 1" spacer over extends? Hmm...maybe do like Alex and add some limiting straps? I mean, if it could extend an extra .5" with out consequence, that would be great, and not have the topping out issue. Well, we'll see what B&G says about it when/if they answer back.

Jose

Jose

Oh, let's hope it's good news! :aok:

X2 on a group buy if they have access to Proflex products.

But it's not a longer strut in that sense; it just has more upward travel than the every other option and would eliminate topping out.

But would a strut spacer be another option? Doesn't that just add extra clearance (eliminate the raked "tow truck" look)? :scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

New to this forum and thanks for this helpful post.

I just picked up a 2001 SE 3.5L 5spd manual. My main use is 90% city/highway driving and 10% hauling 4+ paragliders with their gear up steep mountain roads.

No serious Off Roading intended.

I'm not mechanical at all and will have a private garage do the work. But I need to get everything before I see him.

I'm going with the OME kit as follows but have a few questions still:

1. Front HD coil springs + which struts?

2. Rear Medium coil springs + which shocks? Need some that can preferably be adjusted for the load and comfort.

3. Do I need to buy any spacers, mounting brackets etc.?

4. Finally, with this setup could I put 30.5inch BFG A/Ts on my 16" stock rims? or should I stick with 265/70 R16?

Thanks,

Raz

Edited by raz

Hi guys,

New to this forum and thanks for this helpful post.

I just picked up a 2001 SE 3.5L 5spd manual. My main use is 90% city/highway driving and 10% hauling 4+ paragliders with their gear up steep mountain roads.

No serious Off Roading intended.

I'm not mechanical at all and will have a private garage do the work. But I need to get everything before I see him.

I'm going with the OME kit as follows but have a few questions still:

1. Front HD coil springs + which struts?

2. Rear Medium coil springs + which shocks? Need some that can preferably be adjusted for the load and comfort.

3. Do I need to buy any spacers, mounting brackets etc.?

4. Finally, with this setup could I put 30.5inch BFG A/Ts on my 16" stock rims? or should I stick with 265/70 R16?

Thanks,

Raz

congrats on the purchase!

1. you can reuse the factory struts, but for a better ride, people upgrade to KYB or Rancho. from what i've seen, the majority of people use KYB GR2, and then Rancho and then OME. it's up to you. i just ordered some KYB GR2s used from a fellow member, FWIW.

2. if you want adjustability, you can get ProComp ES3000 (from 4WheelParts.com) or Ranch RS9000XL (most popular). they're both very affordable. i'm using Bilstein 7100s with 12in travel.

3. you shouldn't need any additional hardware to do this install. with the AC lift, people need one or two pairs of camber bolts, but some people don't need them at all with the OME lift. if you're going to do this yourself, you'll need the basic tools, and a coil spring compressor.

4. a 265/70/16 tire is technically a 30.6in tire, so those BFG ATs should be just fine.

congrats on the purchase!

1. you can reuse the factory struts, but for a better ride, people upgrade to KYB or Rancho. from what i've seen, the majority of people use KYB GR2, and then Rancho and then OME. it's up to you. i just ordered some KYB GR2s used from a fellow member, FWIW.

2. if you want adjustability, you can get ProComp ES3000 (from 4WheelParts.com) or Ranch RS9000XL (most popular). they're both very affordable. i'm using Bilstein 7100s with 12in travel.

3. you shouldn't need any additional hardware to do this install. with the AC lift, people need one or two pairs of camber bolts, but some people don't need them at all with the OME lift. if you're going to do this yourself, you'll need the basic tools, and a coil spring compressor.

4. a 265/70/16 tire is technically a 30.6in tire, so those BFG ATs should be just fine.

Thanks for the info.

1. I'll go with the KYB GR2 struts. I understand I also need the strut bearings and strut mounts. I should use the OME bearings and Nissan mounts from what I've read.

2. As for adjustable shocks, I contacted Rancho and they said they don't have the RS9000XL for the 2001 Pathfinder. Seems odd, considering how many here have these shocks.

Do you guys have a link for a discussion on the various shocks Bilstein vs. Rancho vs. Pro COmp vs. OME?

Thanks,

Raz

shock discussion is scattered among many different threads, i'm afraid. with the bilsteins, though, keep in mind that the 7100s are not a bolt-on shock. they use 1/2in heim ends and the 5/8in lower bolt they're supposed to mount onto is welded on the axle. the 5100 and 5150 shocks would be plug-and-play because they use fitted bushed ends.

if i had known the 5/8in stud is welded onto my axle, i would not have bought the bilsteins. i would've bought fox shocks which are available with 3/4in heim ends, which can be paired with 5/8in misalignment spacers for a perfect fit. oh well. i'll tackle that problem when my shocks get here.

Edited by alexrex20

Thanks for the info.

1. I'll go with the KYB GR2 struts. I understand I also need the strut bearings and strut mounts. I should use the OME bearings and Nissan mounts from what I've read.

2. As for adjustable shocks, I contacted Rancho and they said they don't have the RS9000XL for the 2001 Pathfinder. Seems odd, considering how many here have these shocks.

Do you guys have a link for a discussion on the various shocks Bilstein vs. Rancho vs. Pro COmp vs. OME?

Thanks,

Raz

Let me tell you that in my xperience with my Pro Comp ES3k's I love them, and the best part is that i got both of them for the price of just one Rancho shock :itsallgood:

shock discussion is scattered among many different threads, i'm afraid. with the bilsteins, though, keep in mind that the 7100s are not a bolt-on shock. they use 1/2in heim ends and the 14mm lower bolt they mount onto is welded on the axle. the 5100 and 5150 shocks would be plug-and-play because they use 14mm bushed ends.

if i had known the 14mm stud is welded onto my axle, i would not have bought the bilsteins. i would've bought fox shocks which are available with 3/4in heim ends and 1/2in misalignment spacers (which can be enlarged to 14mm). oh well. i'll tackle that problem when my shocks get here.

I just got off the phone with the Bilstein rep. It seems like the 7100 is not a recommended shock for the 2001 Pathfinder.

He said try the 5100, but even there we wasn't sure if it would fit and said he'll call me back.

The 5100 Bilsteins come in two versions: regular and ride-height adjustable. http://www.bilstein.com/offroad.php#5100pre

Has anyone used these to recommend one over the other?

I'll also look at the 5150 Bilsteins as I need something that is relatively adjustable.

Again, the Pro Comp ES3000 isn't listed to fit the 2001 R50 Pathfinder. Does someone have a part number for the ones that do fit?

Ultimately though, I may just go with the Rancho 9000XL now that I have the part number and people have confirmed that they fit the 2001 R50 without modifications.

Thanks,

Raz

Edited by raz

several people use the bilstein 5100 without issue. the 7100 is a better shock, but is not a direct application for a Pathfinder, so he has to tell you that to avoid liability. also, so they're not entitled to refunding money to idiots like me when we buy shocks that end up not fitting. :rofl:

Edited by alexrex20

Just one final check before placing my order for complete suspension kit on a 2001 SE Pathfinder.

These are all the parts I need to get before taking them to the mechanic.

I live in Victoria, BC, Canada.

1. Struts - KYB GR-2 part no. 335031/335030 ordered from http://www.autopartsway.ca/

2. Shocks - Rancho 9000XL part no. RS999010X ordered from http://powerandplay.com/

3. Coils - OME heavy duty front, OME medium duty rears. Ordered from: http://www.rocky-road.com/ They are 8 weeks back ordered. Anywhere in Canada sell these?

4. OME Strut bearings and Nissan strut mounts - are these necessary and where to get them?

Almost there, thanks again

Raz