Which Suspension lift package?

OR99.5Speed

Which Suspension Package should I go with?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Suspension Package should I go with?

• AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Bilstein Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS9000x Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • OME HD ($$$): OME HD Springs, OME Shocks, OME Struts, Nissan strut mounts

Hi guys, this is my first post! Lots of great info here, thanks!

I've been reading a lot about the lift options and think I have made up my mind on what I want (going with OME HD front and trim pack and OME Med rear) but I am confused about ordering up my struts/shocks.

Are the front struts I order going to be the same length as the stock ones? I mean, do I just go into the local parts store and say "I want KYB GR2 struts for my 96 Pathfinder"? or do I need longer ones/can I get longer ones.

How do I know what length/part # I need for the rear shocks? I've read that I'll want longer rear shocks but what length do I order?

Also, if I want more than the 9/16" (or 1/4" as you guys say) spacer from Rocky Road can I get them from somewhere else? Where?

Thanks for the replies :)

-edit

I had a chance to install the rear OME lift today. The springs installation was easy and quick, however the shocks didn't go so well. It turns out that Rocky-Road shipped me the wrong shocks. Google found me a match on the product number as being front stiff shocks for '02+ 4Runners. This is somewhat frustrating since I bought this lift almost 3 months ago and it's been sitting in my laundry room since then. Sales are declared final by RR after 60 days :( The delivery consisted of 2 boxes (pairs) of springs and a box big enough for 2 struts, shocks and hardware. The invoice showed the kit, and has an expanded view of all the parts included, which ARE correct. Darn! I'll let you know what happens because this sounds seems to be a common RR complaint lately. Aside from all of this I'm further disappointed on the finish quality on some of the products. The yellow paint is chipped off the shocks and struts in several spots, however the springs look great. Aside from all of this the rear does sit a little higher than stock, while the ride remains basically the same with a fair amount of weight in the back. Thumbs up for the springs.

PICS!

post-1862-1186885224_thumb.jpg

post-1862-1186885239_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I called RR back around when I made that last post. They sent out the correct ones on their dollar. Yesterday my shocks arrived in proper packaging, unlike the last set. I installed the shocks this afternoon, and decided to do the struts too. The whole process took me about 4 hours... Camber is way out, I'll need to figure out how to fix that. Sending RR the original shocks tomorrow. Might put the shipping cost towards some sliders. Also should mention my strut insulators and brackets were fine so I re-used them. Will be returning that stuff to Nissan on Tuesday. All I replaced was the strut nut and bearing. Pics later on.. I'll need to wash it first :)

• 1 month later...
I could not be happier with my OME set up. Just so you know get the heavy duty coils in the front that way you wont have so much difference in the hight front to back. Originally I got the Medium coils and later went to the HD. Looks much better now. The pics are my PF on the Rocky Road site, and it is with HD in the front. I also went with kyb struts, if you have problems with them they are super easy to work with.

eH Im looking into getting the OME setup for my 98 chilkoot. Just was wondering if I went with the medium coils in the front and the comfort in the rear if it would have the same levelling out effect? Also is there anything wrong with the OME struts or is everybody just shying away from them because they are more expensive than most?

eH Im looking into getting the OME setup for my 98 chilkoot. Just was wondering if I went with the medium coils in the front and the comfort in the rear if it would have the same levelling out effect? Also is there anything wrong with the OME struts or is everybody just shying away from them because they are more expensive than most?

The "comfort" refers to the rear shocks not the rear coils, so it won't have any effect on the rear height.

I went with HD front coils and MED rear coils and the medium rear shocks. I got the KYB GR2 front struts.

Oh, and I got the "trim packers" for the front. These are 5/16" spacers.

I just went with KYB instead of OME because of price.

I'm happy with my setup, about 1-3/4" lift in the rear, 1-7/8" in the front.

I hope this info helps you, good luck.

Alright one more question for all you pathfinding junkies. I'm thinking about getting the ome comfort shocks, medium rear springs, HD front springs, KYB struts and probly some custom built strut spacers. I have little to no experience with suspension systems so I was just wondering if this would be alright or if all the mismatching with the comfort, medium and heavy duty would affect anything. I would just go with the heavy duty in front and medium in rear but I do a lot of bombing through rough fields, unimproved roads ect. and also use my PF for a lot of highway driving. I would rather have a little more comfort but still want a shock that will stand up to abuse. Suggestions from those of you with experience and wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Alright one more question for all you pathfinding junkies. I'm thinking about getting the ome comfort shocks, medium rear springs, HD front springs, KYB struts and probly some custom built strut spacers. I have little to no experience with suspension systems so I was just wondering if this would be alright or if all the mismatching with the comfort, medium and heavy duty would affect anything. I would just go with the heavy duty in front and medium in rear but I do a lot of bombing through rough fields, unimproved roads ect. and also use my PF for a lot of highway driving. I would rather have a little more comfort but still want a shock that will stand up to abuse. Suggestions from those of you with experience and wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

That should be fine. The comfort shocks are just less "stiff" so they provide a softer ride than going with the mediums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone is interested, we have almost finished our 5 inch lift kit here.

It is a complete kit, front struts, no spacer, rear springs(new not rewound or stretched), lower longer control arms, panhard rod, brake lines, brackets etc.....springs can be done for standard ride or load carrying etc..we also do stainless snorkels too

http://mypathy.com/gallery2/v/brens+path/

Some pictures of us at play and snorkels in action

• 4 weeks later...

It is a complete kit, front struts, no spacer, rear springs(new not rewound or stretched), lower longer control arms, panhard rod, brake lines, brackets etc.....springs can be done for standard ride or load carrying etc..we also do stainless snorkels too

how much for the parts?

ditto on prices. Talk to us. Show us some pics and give us some details. And do you have a complete side shot of a vehicle that has this lift? (ie: not one that's sunk in mud?)

Thanks

Edited by pixel41

• 2 weeks later...

5 inches? The only truck in any of those shots that looked like it had anything remotely close to 5 inches of lift was that Range Rover, unless those tires you're running on the green Pathy are 35's or something. There just doesn't look like 5 inches of lifts'-worth of body clearance in any of those photos.

Nice snorkels, though :aok:

• 1 month later...

Looks like the website no longer exists. If this project got completed we'd all love to see what you came up with. I've already got a 5"+ lift but would be in the market for a panhard rod drop and control arms.

• 3 months later...

Hi, i got a Terrano (japan pathy) with a rancho struts (Rancho RSX 17510) and shocks Rancho 5000. Now i had installed front sprins Dobinsons + 35mm (~1.35"). But i not enough a travel of struts and today i got a broken bolt. OME is very expencive ~280$ for a one. Rancho is short. Dobinsons is expire. What can you tell about KYB ? Not gr-2 cause i don't sure that i can find it in our country (Kazakhstan, Almaty) And that can you tell about OME rear springs ? I think that they are very short for lifting, it is only 0.5" and if i take it i would have a back which will be lower than front. is it right ?

Hi, i got a Terrano (japan pathy) with a rancho struts (Rancho RSX 17510) and shocks Rancho 5000. Now i had installed front sprins Dobinsons + 35mm (~1.35"). But i not enough a travel of struts and today i got a broken bolt. OME is very expencive ~280$ for a one. Rancho is short. Dobinsons is expire. What can you tell about KYB ? Not gr-2 cause i don't sure that i can find it in our country (Kazakhstan, Almaty) And that can you tell about OME rear springs ? I think that they are very short for lifting, it is only 0.5" and if i take it i would have a back which will be lower than front. is it right ?

I think all the front struts you find for our trucks will have the same travel so this will be a problem with any struts you get.

For the OME rear springs they will give you about 1.5"-1.75" lift. I know they say they are 0.5" lift but it is actually more lift than that. I think they will work well with the front springs you have.

I think all the front struts you find for our trucks will have the same travel so this will be a problem with any struts you get.

For the OME rear springs they will give you about 1.5"-1.75" lift. I know they say they are 0.5" lift but it is actually more lift than that. I think they will work well with the front springs you have.

Thanks, i think i buy this spring cause a price is normal ~115$, TJM +40mm ~140$, and Dobinson ~83$ (but rear is expire)

(

• 1 month later...

i thought so... :) And that about standart upper strut's bolts ? How they are demontaged ? If i gonna use 1" spacer with coal (dobinon) + 1,25" at front, and + 1,75" OME coals my back will be lower than front ???

Edited by Rinat

i thought so... :) And that about standart upper strut's bolts ? How they are demontaged ? If i gonna use 1" spacer with coal (dobinon) + 1,25" at front, and + 1,75" OME coals my back will be lower than front ???

Pathfinders, as with most SUV's have a naturally lower stance in the front to make them handle better. The addition of a one inch spacer will make the front and the rear as close to even as possible.

As far as taking the upper strut mount bolts out, simply take a 2lb sledge to them and give them a couple firm whacks.

Also, you will want longer new bolts to accommodate the spacer, just make sure you stick with grade 8 SAE or metric 10.6(?) hardware.

How i understand, if front and back will be on one level it is not bad ? Will using spacers make struts (part between struts and carbody) weaker ? It's not danger in critical situation ? (I'm sorry for my mistakes in English :)

Edited by Rinat