Which Suspension lift package?

OR99.5Speed

Which Suspension Package should I go with?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Suspension Package should I go with?

• AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Bilstein Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS9000x Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • OME HD ($$$): OME HD Springs, OME Shocks, OME Struts, Nissan strut mounts

Got my Warns installed... now just waiting for the OME coils to arrive!!

BTW, installation is slightly different than what is posted in the Garage section.

They make the front end seem "lighter" in terms of response, and I can coast

much easier now. Can't wait to see if the mpg increases.

post-7-1144506335.jpg

Vengeful, I posted all the differences in the Garage section already. Biggest

thing was the fact that 96+ (at least, mine was like this) have one outer spring

clip and no other washers inside the auto hub.

Do you think I have to worry about the length of my original studs? Check them

out in the picture in my previous post...

They clear the nut by a thread or two, so I figured it was close but acceptable...

• 1 month later...
If you go with the OME Springs HD- front, med-rear, and KYB GR-2 shocks and struts, can you go with anything bigger than 255/70/16? I have 16's NOT 15's. Thanks!

I have that size on my Pathfinder now stock. I'm 99.99% sure you can run 265/70-16 stock. Tmorgan4 has 265/75-16 worn BFG ATs on his stock SE wheels, but I don't remember if he has a lift or not.

AC VS OME__I DISAGREE

I just wanted to chime in because it seems that almost everyone on this board has chosen the OME springs over the AC lift springs. I just wanted to say that I recently installed the AC setup and it was well worth the extra $$. I went with KYB struts and 9000x on the rear. It took me about a month to decide what to go with and I just wanted to say that I couldnt be happier. My feeling is Why go half way? You still have all of the postitive handling aspects of the OME lift---increased stiffness etc., but now the truck looks so much tougher and the front clearance is drastically improved--plus, I could even go w/ 32's if I wanted to swap rims. (BFG 31's now)

I also really like the adjustability of the 9000 shocks, I would highly recommend them

if you do alot of wheelin/towin--they really work well.

One last thing, I scored camber alignment bolts at Tirerack and saved 20$ vs AC.

Thats my 2 cents.

post-7-1147916195.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Old Man Emu coils installed. I got the HD coils for up front. New

KYB GR-2 struts, too. It rides awesome! The front HD coils are not too stiff.

Measuring from the center of axle to the bottom of the wheel well edge, I figure

I gained 2 full inches all around.

post-7-1149022510.jpg

Well, I started this thread six months ago and am now finally getting around to actively looking for a lift. After swaying back and forth and reading opinions here and on the AC board, I'm going with the OME suspension/OME shocks/KYB struts.

Is it necessary to get new OEM strut mounts?

How long are the original strut bolts? How many are there? I can't do the work myself so Ill end up having a shop install the suspension, so I'll need to find out what length I need and how many to buy...

Thanks... ;)

are you putting in a spacer? i have the OME suspension and i added a 1 inch spacer up front. i used a 2 inch grade 8 bolt. something in the form of 3/8s i think? washer then the bolt up top. but before you put the strut mount onto the strut. make sure and put the bolts in or it will be impossible to do it after.

are you putting in a spacer? i have the OME suspension and i added a 1 inch spacer up front. i used a 2 inch grade 8 bolt. something in the form of 3/8s i think? washer then the bolt up top. but before you put the strut mount onto the strut. make sure and put the bolts in or it will be impossible to do it after.

Yes. I would be putting the 9/16" spacer that Rocky Road sells on the front struts. The rear would be left alone.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Where did you get your 1" spacer from? Where else can I buy spacers? :help:

EDIT: Forgot to ask if you got new strut mounts. Did you?

Edited by OR99.5Speed

How old are your strut mounts? Mine had 128,000 mi on them when they were

replaced. I didn't know they were bad just from driving around, but the mechanic

said they were when he got in and tore the strut out. I'd say while you're there,

might as well if you have the extra cash (not that expensive).

I'd say while you're there,

might as well if you have the extra cash (not that expensive).

Umm, well I paid $624 for new strut mounts. This included everything I needed to just rip the old ones out, throw them away, and put the new stuff in. I have 72,000 miles.

Well, then, you got ripped off. I was quoted all of $250 for both sides, everything I needed to install the struts (except struts and coils) from my local dealers (all 3).

Tire Rack sells the strut mounts for under $50 each.

But does that include everything? There is more up there than I thought. Coils buckets, bearings, foam inserts, bolts, mounting plates, ect... I checked with 4 dealerships and this was the cheapest. I dont think KYB makes all that stuff.

My $250 quote included everything.

I had to go to the dealer to get the boots, which were $14 each.

The buckets were reused because they were good, the bearings were part of the mount assembly, as were the bolts, etc.

The mounts themselves are not expensive.

I made the mistake of letting my garage order the strut mounts, so they charged

me $78 apiece. I got KYB GR2 struts for $60 each online. The garage also

replaced the spring cushions and put rubber boots on the struts for an additional

$128 surprise on my bill. Add on the cost of labor and yes, the overall bill is in

the $600 range...

But the up-side is that last night I went off-roading with my cousin. His Cherokee

has a 3-4" lift and has 31x10.5 BFG MTs. But I followed him everywhere in my

Pathy with the OME springs and 30x9.5 BFG ATs. It performed flawlessly, and we

got muddy!

:aok:

post-7-1149851135.jpg

I have the AC lift with Rancho all around. (9000X in the rear) I love it. Especially the adjustable shocks so that i can change the ride depending on what I am doing. I have had them for almost a year now, and never had the "topping out" problem that others have mentioned.

got KYB GR2 struts for $60 each online.

Add on the cost of labor and yes, the overall bill is in

the $600 range...

Where did you order the KYBs from? Is there anywhere cheaper than Tirerack?

How much did you pay in labor? I need to know what is reasonable...

Thanks! :D

I got my struts here: http://www.partsamerica.com, they are $50.98 each.

Right now they offer free shipping on orders over $50, so it's unbeatable.

My mechanic charges $35/hour at the local garage. Avoid dealerships. He

replaced the struts/mounts and installed 4 OME coil springs; took him 4 hours

for a total of $140 labor.

Shop around, it is so worth the extra time (and $) to do the research.

Good luck!

If you are going with the OME coils I would get the shocks that allow longer travel from AC. The struts you will save alot of money by getting KYB they are just as good if not better. I just don't know why you would want to put OME shock on with a 2" lift coils then limit your self with the OME shocks. They have a shorter travel length than the ones from AC. (i.e. Rancho 5000 or 9000)