Why is the oil filter so small?

Flyer

Hey guys, the Mobil 1 and Nissan filters for my 2002 Pathy are tiny. So is the Amsoil filter- they all say it will not fit otherwise. Anyway, so I took a leftover Amsoil filter for the Accord I had and the gasket size is the same so I threw it on. It is significantly bigger too- looks almost twice as big. I'm a bit worried so I am constantly checking my oil level and for oil leaks but no issues just yet. Was what I did a bad idea? Do you guys know why our stock filter is so small. I'm tempted to throw the Mobil 1 or Nissan filter back on since I am a Worry Wart when it comes to stuff like this. I over-anaalyze things till I ge a headache and have to just start watching the Man Show or UFC or the History Channel to get my mind off stuff :D

Edited by Flyer

Hehehe...I've never really wondered that myself...

What I have wondered is what the hell Nissan was smoking when they put it where they did...its so DAMN hard to get to.

thats the only question "I" have ever asked. you get em too much bigger adn youll NEVER get teh SOB out. its rough as it is.

I did the same thing to a '79 Dodge Aspen SE non-the-less with a slant six. Wow now I have exposed myslef here. Bigger filter more filtering surface, more oil, more heat disipation it worked for me in this application. So long as you can get it on and off it's all good.

Oh don't change a head gaskets on a slant six or anyother vehicle after a case of courage from the fine folks at Anheiser-Busch. -alcohol- If you miss torqueing just one head bolt would you believe the head would warp a few weeks after it was serviced. :o Who would of thunk that.

Keepin' the boy and girls at A/B on overtime this holiday season...

M

So which Honda Accord filter works? I wonder if this works in my brothers 2001 VQ30DE Maxima? Good job Flyer!

I know you have the VQ35DE, surely they can't be the same for the VG33E? Do you have a part number or model year and engine Accord filter I should look out for?

When I had a 4.0L Jeep we used the Mustang 5.0 filters, they were twice as big! And the 4.0 already took 6 quarts with the stock filter!

What I have wondered is what the hell Nissan was smoking when they put it where they did...its so DAMN hard to get to.

ditto venge.. but then i stuck it here (see below) to solve the problem.. now i run a fram TG8A filter in her.. (same size as 350 chebby)

Well, I used the Amsoil SDF 20 filter that I used on my Accord. It fits just fine so if you use it, make sure the gasket size is in fact the same and you should be fine. If I continue to use these tiny filters, I'm going to stick with the Mobil 1 or Nissan filter. I have a feeling they are both good though I would like to cut open the Nissan one to compare it to the Mobil 1 construction- or send a Nissan filter to that Oil Filter test guy.

*Revised- sorry, didn't realize the original post was regarding a 2002 R50. My comments below regard a WD21, as I'm not really familiar with your rig.*

I'd guess the small size of the filter would be due to the relatively small quantity of oil these engines hold. I don't think the stock filter is THAT big deal to get at really, never understood all the raving. Sure, its tough being down, away and sorta out of sight, but I've seen worse for sure. After you do it once or twice, you have a pretty decent feel for it.

I had a Prelude that required practically a 180 degree bend at the waist to dive under the hood, then all kinda of body contortion to get at it. Plus, the filter orientation to the exhaust guaranteed a smoky first run after ever oil change.

On a side note though, a body lift makes the filter a straight shot through the fender well between the body and frame, with a full visual. Sooo... $50 for the oil relo kit, or $100 for the BL. You make the call. :aok:

As for Wheelman's relo location, I see that as bad news out in the open like that. On-road, I guess you could be ok. But regardless, its prone to rocks, metal debris, or whatever the road or trail can throw at it. But obviously he's been fine with it so far.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Yeah it stays mostly on road, and when it does go off-road its really tame. So I'm happy. It's been since August that I've had that setup so it's not exactly enough time to gauge the safety of that location yet. But my dad's Honda Accord came stock with his filter in the wheelwell so it's most likely a safe place for on-road driving.

Hahaha. And when that b_____ is on tight, its a PITA.

slick, when did you do the relocation? did you write it up? i missed that somewhere, if you did.. :cool2:

i did it when i pulled the motor in feb.. dunno if it was part of my nightmare *coughs* i mean write up.. but i think there is a write up about the install from someone.. if not.. i can surely do one.... it was easy... and the bracket i have mine bolted to is all homemade.. nothin spectacular but VERY functional and easily acessable.. here's another view (i only hadto drill one mount hole as i used an existing hole in the fenderwell) ;)

Yo Slick - any drool or dribble mess problems when removing it with it mounted at the angle?  I'm debating between your idea and the inside the wheel well idea.

it dribbles a bit.. but what i do is tip the filter DOWN and have a rag under it.. haven't had any major spillages yet.. as soon as the filter is off i just hold the hoses upright and lean them against the fuse box until i prime the new filter. ;):aok: i figure a little dribble onna rag is soooo much better than the fight down below! and it is out of the way enuff where i can easily access all other items in that area.. including the fuel filter..fuel lines.. fuse box..etc :aok:

*****I UNBLOT the filter from my lil "custom" bracket there before removing it from hoses.. so i can have it at any angle i want :idea:

Edited by Slick