Welcome New Members !

Precise1

Hey guys, north GA resident. 01 SE, about 1 year ownership. Twin locked. Lokka rear and blokka front. 2" Ome/kyb lift, and 31" all terrains for now. Taking this R50 a little outside it's comfort zone on some trails and itching for more mods. Extra set of diffs for a regear already sitting in my garage as this thing needs to be sitting on 35s soon. Either chopping it up or (main reason I joined) need help from you guys to source a sfd. 

(Old pic. Side steps tore off on the first trail ride)

20221202_205149.jpg

• Like 4

Hey y'all!

Lurked for a while to find specs (particularly fluid specs), finally joined. I have a 95 SE Pathfinder that I bought in 2017 and am currently reworking. Became a fan of Nissan after working for their Smyrna plant, and have had two Titans (one of which I currently own) in addition to my Pathfinder. Spent several years in the Army Reserves, and the way Nissan treated their employees who were in the Reserves and Guard was a huge reason for me jumping on the bandwagon. My experiences with my Pathfinder and two Titans has reinforced that.

Titan_Pathy2.jp2

• Like 1

Hello, I am Aaron from BC Canada. Just drove my new to me 97 Klondike home not 30 min from typing this. I am just searching for any info about it and let me tell you, the info is few and far between. So anyone who has any info on it would be so grateful! I will get some pictures on here rite away. She is in really good shape. Well looked after. And really nice looking with that gold trim and gold running  bars. I am really excited to be here and learn what I can about them. A other question if I may, my model calls for 265 70 r15 and almost every other pathfinder calls for 235 70 r15. Can someone tell me why that would be and if I  was to put 235 on mine, what adverse effects could occur? Cant wait to start chatting with you folks.

Edited by bigdd
forgot something

Hi all lovers of the r50! 

I am happy to be joining somewhere that shares my joy for the pathfinder. I am a professional mechanic in BC for the last 12 years. I have built myself another pathfinder that i am happy to share, 1997 LE low km, no rust pathy with 6 inch lift. I have done too many mods to list in a quick reply. I am looking forward to helping others who are attempting there own build.

Also if someone can help with why i can't upload pictures.

Edited by WesR50

Hello everyone,

I purchased my ‘97 QX4 in October 2021 and have been having a blast building/driving/wheeling/camping with my dog in it. It seemed like the vehicle was a commuter since it was completely stock aside from maintenance. Felt like it was finally time to join the forum to get further into the modification/parts compatibility knowledge game and get some good ideas. My R50 remains mostly stock aside from 33” tires, 17” wheels, a 2.5” spacer lift, manual locking hubs, wheel spacers and onboard air compressor. Currently looking to get front and rear lunchbox lockers and gear sets for some added traction and torque. I ordered the LOKKA (I think most people here have heard of this lunchbox locker) for the front the other day and looking into the BLOKKA (some Russian made lunchbox locker I found online) for the rear. It doesn’t look like anyone has mass produced any front gears so I may have a set custom cut. If anyone does know of any front gears already in production, please chime in! Looking forward to learning and maybe meeting some of you. Happy adventuring!

-Philip

Good start!

I would not mix a spacer lift in the front with a locker. While I applaud the front locker purchase (I had one myself and LOVED how the lokka worked), I think the extra extreme angles from the spacer lift combined with the use of a front locker will lead to blowing more CV axles than if you had a spring lift up front. 

You may be able to get 4.6 gears from another R50 (Certain Xterra's and Frontiers work for the rear end as well) if you're currently on 4.3's, but you're right - no one makes custom gears for the R50, the front gearset is different from any other nissan. You can source a 4.9 rear end from Xterra's that will swap in. That might make your overall setup cheapest. 

Definitely keep us updated on the BLOKKA. Not many reviews or install photos floating around yet. 

10 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

I think the extra extreme angles from the spacer lift combined with the use of a front locker will lead to blowing more CV axles than if you had a spring lift up front.

I’ve already experienced the limits of the axles, looked into high travel axles and found that NAPA makes a pretty cool extended travel axle that I think I’ll get if I blow the stock ones.

https://napacvaxles.com/extended-cv-axles/

On paper the extra degrees of motion and the ability for the shafts to extend should help quite a bit.

But I do agree the spacers aren’t the best and have a set of OME springs I plan to install once I get an SFD and LR springs put together.

• Like 1

Hi new guy here!  I have an 88 SE Pathfinder as well as a 96 50 series.  Been doing some small repairs to the Wd21 and have run into a problem with the rear hatch glass switch and rear wiper/washer switch not working.  I've checked all fuses and even pulled both the Accessory and Ignition relays and everything on the fuseblock and relays seem fine.  I also do not have washer power on the front windshield though the wipers work.  I cleaned the connections for the washer motor and still nothing.  I may replace the washer pump/motor as it's old...but I'm at a loss for the no power to the rear glass or wiper.  I did notice a series of 3 relays (2 blue, 1 green) right next to the windshield washer tank.  Are any of those associated with the washer or rear hatch power?

:welcome:

There's an interlock in the rear hatch to stop you from opening the glass when the wiper's in the way, but it's not the best design. If you turn the key off without turning the rear wiper off first, the wiper won't always park properly, even if it looks like it did. Key on, wiper switch off. If it wipes once, and then the popper works, that's the interlock at work. If not, I would remove the rear hatch interior trim and test the interlock switch. The washer pumps tend to leak internally and seize up, but I would test with a voltmeter or test light first to rule out other issues before ordering new ones. The relays there are unrelated. 

Hi all. I'm a long time Nissan fan and R51 owner.

I recently found a super clean, low mileage '01 R50 4x4. I'd like to do a few minor upgrades for moderate off-roading while keeping it as a daily driver also. Tires, springs, struts, shocks, and a little under body protection.

One question I have starting off is if the lunchbox style auto lockers are compatible with the All-Mode 4x4 systems. I've only ever seen them installed on the front axle in the standard part-time 4x4 systems.

I guess I don't have a great understanding of the difference between the Auto Mode and the 4 High mode. Is the vehicle engaging and disengaging the front drive as needed? Seems like that could be a problem with an auto locker.

Thanks for any info!

I don't think there's issues with any kind of locker and the AWD mode, as the AWD mode really just allows for different front-rear power splits instead of 50/50. The transfer case is a little more complicated overall, but you should certainly not have problems using 4HI with the locker.

Refer to this thread: 

The auto transfer has a wet clutch on the front output. In 2H, the clutch is disengaged. If it's in auto mode, and it thinks the rear wheels are slipping, it'll bump that clutch to send some power forward. (This is similar to how some AWD cars/crossovers work, and I'm told it's great on patchy snow and ice.) In 4HI, the clutch locks entirely, which is great off-road, but causes torque bind/wind up if used on the street.

I don't know the R50 or ratchet lockers well enough to say how much of a problem it would be, but, yeah, seems like that combo could give you some weird handling when auto mode was engaged. The transfer sends power forward, the front locker grabs, the steering gets weird. 

I don't imagine you have a lot of snow and ice to deal with in Florida, so you may not have much use for auto mode. 2H and 4H should work just the same as they do with the manual transfer case.

Oh, and :welcome:!

Hello All,

First time EVER joining an online group. Acquired my only Pathfinder last month, site unseen. 2001 SE manual. Highly unlike me, but it jumped off the page. My fifth Nissan, first was a ‘77 King Cab purchased new in Japan and paid $25 to ship it to Seattle. $3925 total, those were the days.

I made my latest purchase as I was leaving the country, had it delivered to my son, so, I won’t get to see it in person until 21 May. Can you empathize with my pain?😂

Currently in Ecuador; simply amazed at all the old Datsuns here (like my first), that are still running strong after nearly 50 years. 

Looking forward to picking your brains as needed in the future. Your forum looks like a great asset. Thanks for allowing me to join.🙏🏾

Hello everyone,

I have a 92 SE and a 95 XE. I bought the 95 as a project and first car for my daughter, and I bought the 92 to have parts to pull from to fix the 95.  That was almost two years ago and now I'm fixing the 92.  I removed the engine and have been restoring it. I recently removed the dash to swap it with one from the salvage yard that is in much better shape. Soon it will all be coming back together and I'll have a toy of my own to run around in.

Jon

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone! I'm Thomas and am new here.

I am currently building my 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum Edition 4x4. I'm doing a 350 engine swap, Trans, transfer case, ect.. and 1-ton axles.

I look forward to all the great idea's, discussions, and great people I'll come to know through here.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2023 at 5:23 AM, Tattoobabyy said:

WAVEY  I’ve had my r50 for 3 years and I’m always looking for info on something! Happy to be here :) 

lmao, my previous car :D

Hiya everyone... I've been lurking for a few weeks and found your site to be pretty damm awsome 🤩🤩🤩 I got a 97 XE pathy with over 240k and I have not done much with it yet... got 31.10x50s and I just picked up a LSD for it, but I found that pine to splines SFD and I really love that look... ssssooo hopefully I can do that this year 🙏..... I was a cert mech, but now I'm a computer tech.. just a different type of mechanic.. 🤣😂🤣...

So after being in and still with Infamous Nissan because of my hb pickup, I decided to join this page due to owning a Japanese Pathfinder. I look forward to learning more about these awesome vehicles and helping others with what I know.

• 4 weeks later...

Gidday gidday. Im new here but not with the trusty old terrano. Always had diesels, got converted to the v6.... Was the daily but some bastard tboned me. So to the shed it goes. Here for tricks tips hints and ideas,