Welcome New Members !

Precise1

4 minutes ago, poachr said:

I was reading up on changing the timing belt. 

Not exactly sure about the process on a Pathfinder, but the job in general isn't as bad as people make it out to be.  It's a lot of bolts, but they're just bolts.  Stay super organized and it'll be ok.  Just make sure you don't need the vehicle for a little while in case it takes longer than expected.  Take your time and you'll save a lot of money!

1 hour ago, poachr said:

I was reading up on changing the timing belt. 

I did mine about 10 years and 80k ago.  I was a major job, but not all together difficult.  Took a good 20 hours as I'm an amateur mechanic.  Just follow the FSM.  I seem to recall it was very detailed.  There was some point where it called for a special tool I didn't have, but we just used our hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlabamaDan said:

I did mine about 10 years and 80k ago.  I was a major job, but not all together difficult.  Took a good 20 hours as I'm an amateur mechanic.  Just follow the FSM.  I seem to recall it was very detailed.  There was some point where it called for a special tool I didn't have, but we just used our hands.

Probably a harmonic balancer puller.  They can be rented cheaply at an auto parts store, but from your experience it sounds like there's ways to get it done without!

Hey everyone, I just joined.  Im a momma thats doing some research to hook up my teenage son’s pathfinder for Christmas/his birthday.  (& of course I have lifetime rights to take it offroad?). 2001 Pathfinder SE/stock.   I want to lift it & put larger tires on it.  Im on a major budget (Im searching the local used markets for wheels & gently used tires). lve been researching online but Im getting overwhelmed reading about strut clearance, back spacing, etc.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

Probably a harmonic balancer puller.  They can be rented cheaply at an auto parts store, but from your experience it sounds like there's ways to get it done without!

Nope I think I have one of those.  It was something to do with turning the cam sprockets if memory serves me.

3 hours ago, Bubufxr said:

Hey everyone, I just joined.  Im a momma thats doing some research to hook up my teenage son’s pathfinder for Christmas/his birthday.  (& of course I have lifetime rights to take it offroad?). 2001 Pathfinder SE/stock.   I want to lift it & put larger tires on it.  Im on a major budget (Im searching the local used markets for wheels & gently used tires). lve been researching online but Im getting overwhelmed reading about strut clearance, back spacing, etc.  

You've come to the right place!  With some more information about budget, intended use of the vehicle, and so forth we can absolutely help to point you in the right direction and make some of those complicated terms as simple as possible for ya!

To start off with some of those terms you mentioned, the strut clearance and backspacing are related.  Basically when you put a larger tire on, (greater than 31 inch diameter), it will no longer fit around the suspension parts, since with the stock wheels and tires the strut is intended to overhang the back edge of the tire slightly.  As such, a bigger tire and the strut will want to occupy the same space and of course this won't work.  You can resolve this issue by settling with 31 inch tires, adding wheel spacers (at your own discretion; there is some debate on the safety of these items; not really a debate in my opinion, but again it depends on who you talk to), or changing the wheels themselves to ones with different offset so the tires stick out farther.

Chances are for what it sounds like your budget and uses are going to be, I would think that a 2 inch spacer lift from a company like sfcreation.com and some used 31 inch tires should suit you well.  (https://sfcreation.com/products/1-all-around-lift-kit-84f2baaa-8707-453a-8a8b-41fe2368d719 - lift on sale for $100 right now + $30 shipping to US)  If the vehicle needs a suspension refresh anyways and you can swing the budget, some new struts and shocks with Old Man Emu springs will ride better, give better load carrying capability, and will be easier on the front CV axles when offroading. (If you want to look into that option, the springs would run about $320 + your choice of struts and shocks.)

Hopefully that at least begins to simplify some things for you and maybe can get you thinking about some more questions you may have, as I said you've come to the right place and the great people on this forum will be happy to get you the information you need!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlabamaDan said:

Nope I think I have one of those.  It was something to do with turning the cam sprockets if memory serves me.

Interesting.  If you remember what it is let me know, because now I'm curious!

The procedure in the FSM calls for a shim and a weight and a deflection gauge to set the belt tension. I used a writeup on here that basically said to point the allen wrench on the tensioner in a certain direction, lock it down, and see if you could turn the top of the belt 90° by hand. Worked fine. I did end up making a special tool to move the cam sprockets while I removed the bolts. I welded up some bar steel in an F shape, but you could just as easily put a couple bolts through a piece of flat stock and make the same thing. And yeah, it's really not too bad--but replace the seals/hoses/etc while you're in there or you'll be opening it up again later! I skipped the crank seal because it wasn't leaking yet and it started leaking like mad as soon as I got the SOB back together. It's less fun to take everything apart the second time.

Once the Birthday Surprise is out of the bag, make sure he either does this repair or has it done. It’s about 2-3 hour shop time + new gaskets. Not doing it runs the risk of losing an engine - it’s just easier to be sure it’s done.
POWER VALVES
http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/17104-threadlocker-on-power-valve-screws-pics/?do=embed
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 10:52 PM, mjotrainbrain said:

You've come to the right place!  With some more information about budget, intended use of the vehicle, and so forth we can absolutely help to point you in the right direction and make some of those complicated terms as simple as possible for ya!

To start off with some of those terms you mentioned, the strut clearance and backspacing are related.  Basically when you put a larger tire on, (greater than 31 inch diameter), it will no longer fit around the suspension parts, since with the stock wheels and tires the strut is intended to overhang the back edge of the tire slightly.  As such, a bigger tire and the strut will want to occupy the same space and of course this won't work.  You can resolve this issue by settling with 31 inch tires, adding wheel spacers (at your own discretion; there is some debate on the safety of these items; not really a debate in my opinion, but again it depends on who you talk to), or changing the wheels themselves to ones with different offset so the tires stick out farther.

Chances are for what it sounds like your budget and uses are going to be, I would think that a 2 inch spacer lift from a company like sfcreation.com and some used 31 inch tires should suit you well.  (https://sfcreation.com/products/1-all-around-lift-kit-84f2baaa-8707-453a-8a8b-41fe2368d719 - lift on sale for $100 right now + $30 shipping to US)  If the vehicle needs a suspension refresh anyways and you can swing the budget, some new struts and shocks with Old Man Emu springs will ride better, give better load carrying capability, and will be easier on the front CV axles when offroading. (If you want to look into that option, the springs would run about $320 + your choice of struts and shocks.)

Hopefully that at least begins to simplify some things for you and maybe can get you thinking about some more questions you may have, as I said you've come to the right place and the great people on this forum will be happy to get you the information you need!

Thank you!!  You’ve already given me more info in this post than I’ve been able to find with many hours of scouring the internet!   We replaced his rusted out rocker panels earlier today...Definitelty isn’tprofessional quality but at least we wont have to make sure all passengers have had their tetanus shots before getting in  

Edited by Bubufxr
Dupplicated post instead of quoting
  • Like 1

Thank you!!  You’ve already given me more info in this post than I’ve been able to find with many hours of scouring the internet!   We replaced his rusted out rocker panels earlier today...Definitelty isn’tprofessional quality but at least we wont have to make sure all passengers have had their tetanus shots before getting in  

Well, once the surprise is done, make sure to point him in this direction. He’ll be able to learn about his truck & get good advice from those who have done it. It’s a nice little community here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bubufxr said:

Excellent, glad I could help!  And hey, that may not be a perfect fix but any improvement is worth it in my opinion; better than letting the rust spread!  If you have any further questions, or even just want to drop the links to what you're planning to order for one final double-check, feel free to do so, we'll be glad to help!

15 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Well, once the surprise is done, make sure to point him in this direction. He’ll be able to learn about his truck & get good advice from those who have done it. It’s a nice little community here.

This too!  Absolutely make sure you get him a link to this site, it'll be a fantastic resource for him.  I don't even have one of these vehicles anymore and this is still one of my favorite places to visit on the internet.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, first: congratulations for your forum.

English is not my primary lenguage, so sorry !

Next year i'm planning to do a trip around South America, so i need a truck to do that, and i like a 2001 SE ( 5 speed manual) 122.000 miles, that is published in my country.

I was reading a lot, to learn about pathfinders, but i would like to have a little help of you prior to go to see the truck...

Do i need to take care of some special thing? Rust? where are the most common rust spots that can give me an idea of the truck health?

Anothe item: transmission. Is there a test to do it to check if it's working fine?

I've never had a 4x4 truck before, so i'm a neophyte on that....i have had lot of cars, but never a car like this one.

Any other tips, on what to take care on my first inspection is welcome!!

Here a picture.

Thanks a lot for your help!

pathfinder-2001-lateralweb2.jpg

Edited by fabianoliver

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum. My son and  I have a 1992 Nissan pathfinder 4x4.

We lifted it with a 2", suspension lift, put 31 all terrains on it and painted it flat black. 

We are currently swapping the automatic transmission with a manual. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, geoatk said:

New to the forum. My son and  I have a 1992 Nissan pathfinder 4x4.

We lifted it with a 2", suspension lift, put 31 all terrains on it and painted it flat black. 

We are currently swapping the automatic transmission with a manual. 

:welcome:   Welcome to the forum, sounds like a great father-son project!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. I stumbled upon the NPORA Website whilst looking for ways to install a dual battery system for my wagon. (why re-invent the wheel).

I use my 1994 Terrano R3m for Ranging/Compliance work as I am a Warranted Ranger with Fish & Game New Zealand. I also use it for Hunting & Fishing (freshwater) in places I would not take my 'Family' vehicle.

I have occasionally found myself in positions where it was possible to be low on 12v DC power and many Km's from assistance, so fitting a second battery to drive the additional electronics & lights seemed a good idea.

I look forward to reading these forums, meeting fellow owners on-line and learning more about what I can do (or avoid) while owning this vehicle.

Terrano1.jpg

Edited by Eyesplice
Removal of image

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, new to the forum but already got useful info so thanks already. From Ireland but living in Vancouver at the moment.

Bought a 1991 Pathfinder XE last week which has certainly lived a hard life but she has a solid frame and smooth engine. Currently has very few straight panels left, a snapped rear shock and no power steering but I plan on getting her back in fighting form starting with a full service this weekend. I'm sure I'll be annoying some of you with questions soon?

• Like 3

On 11/11/2018 at 8:35 PM, Bubufxr said:

On 11/11/2018 at 9:51 PM, mjotrainbrain said:

Excellent, glad I could help!  And hey, that may not be a perfect fix but any improvement is worth it in my opinion; better than letting the rust spread!  If you have any further questions, or even just want to drop the links to what you're planning to order for one final double-check, feel free to do so, we'll be glad to help!

This too!  Absolutely make sure you get him a link to this site, it'll be a fantastic resource for him.  I don't even have one of these vehicles anymore and this is still one of my favorite places to visit on the internet.

Hey everyone, I thought I’d post an update on our project/hope its ok to post this here on this thread.  We had the 3” coil spacers/leveling kit installed for xmas  then we purchased 2” wheel spacers & 33” tires ....this resulted in me no longer being allowed to purchase tires without getting preauthorization because there was a lot of rubbing going on!   (Where did I get that 33” tires would work??!! )

Fortunately I know the lady that runs the garage so they didnt give me too much hassle for mounting new tires, unmounting the new tires, & remounting old tires.  

We are getting 31” all terrain tires tomorrow on used 16” 4runner rims.  

His current 29.5” tires have been rubbing since installing the wheel spacers so we have been looking up info on triming the fenders/bumpers.

Since his front fenders are rusted out sooooo bad we were just going to purchase new fenders .  Does anyone have any experience with this website/ discountbodyparts?  This is a link for the set of replacement fenders.  https://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/feeds/Nissan/Pathfinder/Replacement/Fender/2000/SET-N220115.html?dbpcid=gglpla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGieLqIz0YNtjrPxhnZBnLxzvWg8D89UDj-tdATlCbGKBUaHy2dmMDmYaAnYGEALw_wcB

Edited by Bubufxr

Hello everyone, I’m Pat.  I just bought my first Pathfinder, a 96 XE.  I’m not very experienced in 4 wheeling, but I am a fairly experienced mechanic.  Looking forward to learning more about my new purchase.

Greetings from CA. I just purchased a 2002 Infiniti Qx4 but I've been lurking around here for info before I pulled the trigger. This is my first Offroad vehicle. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this forum!

10 hours ago, Goon25 said:

Greetings from CA. I just purchased a 2002 Infiniti Qx4 but I've been lurking around here for info before I pulled the trigger. This is my first Offroad vehicle. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge on this forum!

:welcome:

I had a 2002 QX4 as well, there's nothing like offroading in the lap of luxury!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1