Polyurathane coil spring spacers

yowzaeric

Hi all,

Has anyone tried modifying those Poly coil spring spacers that Daystar and a few other companies make? From what a can tell a little inginuty and a router table may get the job done but if I don't have to reinvent the wheel-- . I'm guessing the Grand Cherokee or Liberty units may be the closest to the correct diameter. Has anyone made a set of these themselves? Seems to me there was a post on here about these things around a year ago being made from sheet urathane. But I'm not finding it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pray that this post stays alive. :asleep:

I really really want a set of spacers and have no access to materials.

I have a place near me that i have yet to visit called "Maryland Metals" they fab springs and all sorts of other things, just don't know enough though to know if they can fab spacers.

Where do you buy teflon at and would 9/16 make a real difference or should you try to get a full inch?

Please guys don't let this slide by the wayside!! Too many of us are willing to do such a thing to our pathy's. I am def. getting the OME lift, but I really want to be

the same height as a stock excursion

quoted from another post elsewhere here!!

Rocky road is going to be making a 9/16 inch spacer. I have the first set made, I just have not had the time to put them on. I wanted them to go bigger, but at the moment they don't have the machinery to cut through the thicker materials. Get two for each side and you have about an inch.

Also if you are in the need of rocksliders Rocky Road now has them for sale @

www.rocky-road.com

Edited by Entropy98

I called Rocky Road today and the guy who answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about and had to look at the website, I had a feeling he didn't believe me. He said that he was gonna check with the owner, who wasn't in and get back to me on availability.

Apparently, these are very new items.

Entropy98- is that your white Pathfinder on Rocky Roads website?

Thanks for getting back to me. I've talked with the guys at Daystar and they promised they were working on a spacer also. I'm going to try and build a set on some CNC equipement over thanksgiving- I'll keep everyone posted.

Call and ask Glenn about them. He is the owner and will know more about them.

Glenn made them and put them on aoubt two weeks ago. And yes that is my PF on the Rocky Road web site.

Edited by Entropy98

As you can tell by the date on the photo, i'm kinda lazy.....Hopefully during some vacation time over the holidays I can finish my alignment and install the spacers.

If all goes well with the 1/2" spacers i'll make some 1" ones out of the same material....

For those of you that don't have access to materials you can find all you need right here at Online Metals

oh God,

are they only 1/2"???

every other site quotes from 1.5" to 1.75" Yikes anybody with the OME set up please ring in here and let us know what's up with the OME set up. I was planning on buying the "medium" Old Man Emu set up from rocky-road outfitter!!!

Remember these haven't been installed yet so i don't know if they'll need further grinding or fitting. The bolts i'm thinking of using are some grade 8 socket cap bolts (Allen head) 2 1/4" long x 3/8" thick with a grade 8 nut, lockwasher and washer.

I wouldn't double up on the 9/16, just make some 1" yourself.....all you need is some drill bits, drill, hacksaw, misc files....You can substitute power tools in place of the hacksaw and files.

Here are some shots of the dimensions......I think someone on this board gave me a drawing of the dimensions....i look for it later.

oh God,

are they only 1/2"???

every other site quotes from 1.5" to 1.75" Yikes anybody with the OME set up please ring in here and let us know what's up with the OME set up. I was planning on buying the "medium" Old Man Emu set up from rocky-road outfitter!!!

Yup mine are only 1/2"....Right now with the K-MAC camber adjusting kit installed i have some positive adjustment to play with, so I don't see any problems installing some 1 - 1.5" ones later.....but i want to use the 1/2" ones as guinea pigs......

Off the subject but has anyone hear this Australian Pink Floyd? Damn they're good! Big Floyd fan here! 4 Floyd concerts under my belt...no othe rband has ever topped those concerts...

Anyway hares some more shots

To tell you the truth get the heavy duty coils you will be much happier. It is the same spring rate just a little higher. Basically the ride is the same for both the mediums, and the heavy duty. If you would like to see a picture of a PF with the OME setup on it go and look at the rocky road web site. The pictures there have the OME w/ heavy duty coils in the front. The lift that you will get in the front will be very close to an inch, but in the back it will be between 1 1/2 to 2 inches. The best part about the OME is the ride improvement, and handling. It feels much more like a truck but not too much.

When installing spacers do you have to remove the front springs? If so I am just going to wait and buy the 2" springs from AC. I agree go with the heavy duty springs. I got the medium and it did not do anything up front and lifted the back 2".

Thanks for the Pics and measurements. I'm going to work a set of these out of t-6 Aircraft aluminum first. See how they work.

KMGAR I see you're thinking of using socket cap bolts- Keep in mind that if you live in a salt environment they will be a bear to remove after they begin to rust. I used them on a jeep to mount a bumper and I ended up torching them to get them off. I'd suggest the regular grade 8 bolts for ease of service later on.

Anyone think of adding a 1 or more inch spacer in addition to the 2" A/C springs? What I need is that lift from L&P.

Thanks for the Pics and measurements. I'm going to work a set of these out of t-6 Aircraft aluminum first. See how they work.

KMGAR I see you're thinking of using socket cap bolts- Keep in mind that if you live in a salt environment they will be a bear to remove after they begin to rust. I used them on a jeep to mount a bumper and I ended up torching them to get them off. I'd suggest the regular grade 8 bolts for ease of service later on.

Anyone think of adding a 1 or more inch spacer in addition to the 2" A/C springs? What I need is that lift from L&P.

No salt environment in SoCal...I left the NorthEast in 1988...no more of that crap.... The bolts i'm gonna use will probably change, but thats what i had on hand to determine the length i need.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this here yet, but with simple strut spacers, there is risk of exceeding the maximum operating angle of the CV joint and blowing it up, when the suspension is fully extended.

The precise height of a strut spacer that does not exceed the max CV angle is unknown.

I would guess that a 1" spacer is probably nearing the limit of safe reliable operation. After the spacer is installed, test by raising the front wheels of the ground, engaging the manual hubs (if equipped), turning the steering wheel fully left or fully right, and rotating the tire by hand. Feel or listen for any binding in the inner and outer CV joints. Also evaluate how stretched the CV boots are.