Driving Lights now stay on

merlinx

As we all know the driving lights com on only with the headlights and shup off with the high beam on. I read a post a while ago on how to modify the relay for the driving lights on a pathy to stay on with the switch. What I didnt like about this set up is that I might forget to turn them off and the buzzard did not warn me about it. What I did today is wired them with the parking lights so that the buzzard will still come on if I forget to turn them off. Here is what I did:

(this is on a 97LE, your wiring might be different)

1. Open the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side. Look at the top and figure out which is the relay that controls the fog/driving lights.

2. remove the relay and get a tester. Hook the tester to a ground. 2 sides of the relay mount should do nothing. One should stay on with 12dc and the other will come on only when the head lights low beams are on. It will turn off if the high beams are on or the lights are off. This is teh wire we want.

3. take off the relay box and flip it around, remove the bottom and note which is the wire that goes to that terminal that turns on and off with the head lights. Note the color of the wire. On mine it was a red with a black strip and silver dots.

4. Cut the wire loom somewhere away from the fuse box and find that wire. Test it again if you want to make sure its the same wire

5. Cut the wire.

6. Now take off the drivers side parking light (one screw on top and pull out).

7. Tap into the red wire and run that wire to the wire we just cut and attach it to the end coming from the relay block. I just used those blue taps.

8. Replace the relay box and tape the wire loom. Run new wire lom to protect you new wire. Replace the blinker assembly.

9. You should be all set. The driving lights should nw turn on with the parking lights regardless of the head lights being on, off, or high beem.

Good Luck

Jason :clap::beer:

Edited by merlinx

I did this same method on my maxima (the wire colors were different). I've been wanting to do this to my pathy forever but can't find a good enough writeup on which wires to cut and tap on my 01 and don't have a tester. If someone wants to do this on their 01 or can use a tester to find out which wires to cut and tap I would greatly appreciate it. I think it may be easier to figure out which wire is the switch on the fog relay, then tap into the taillamp relay's hot wire because the tails come on with the parking lights.

Parking light is what I meant. I corrected it. 01 pathy, why dont you just buy a test light at the local autoparts store? Its prety easy to figure out the wire on the relay female ends where the relay plugs in. Im just talking about a on off tester nothing fancy.

Jason

I did it on my 01 yesterday. I ended up wiring them so the fogs can turn on without any other lights on. I used the position 1 wire on the fog relay, cut that and spliced a new piece of wire to the relay and tapped into the position 3 wire on the tail light relay. Only thing is the fogs dont turn off with the rest of the lights anymore when I shut the car off since they are completely independent and wired to the constant 12v source since I couldn't figure out which wire was just 12v when the parking lights were on....