A Mechanics Tips and Tricks

Precise1

So my 5 yr olds scooter wore out on him. I was changing my front and rear struts and needed a breaker bar. I chopped off the handle bars with my dremel and unscrewed the bottom of the scooter. Instant breaker bar. It's not super durable but it gets the job done. On the plus side all three of my kids have them and the wear out after about a year so got plenty of backups lol

Hahahaha Savage xD

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't got a breaker bar handy and need extra torque...

Use a combination wrench (box and open ended) and put the box end on the stubborn bolt. Then slide another combination wrench's box end on the open end of the wrench that's on the bolt. It's a bit hard to explain w/o pictures, but if you try it you'll see what I'm talking about. Be sure to keep the wrenches in line with each other and you'll find that you can apply gobs of force to turn the bolt.

Something I thought of this weekend worked really well when I didn't have a cheater pipe large enough to fit over the open end of a wrench: a deep well impact socket that fit snug with an extension for leverage. It worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you can use a big box end wrench turned properly for a cheater pipe, breaker bar... Wear gloves it can smoke your knuckles.

I super glued a bolt to a rubber hose to start it under the dash of a car this week. Greased the threads... Started it and broke the glue then 15 swivels wrapped in tape to keep them stiff.

Also I had to start a paper thin jam but with a deep well, I put electrical tape on the lip 3 layers thick, wedged the jam but in against the pavement. Started it. Pulled off the deep well removed the tape and torqued it down.

I want to buy a long flexible set of screwdrivers on a coil.

• 2 months later...

Great way to make it look like you have not been working on your car at all is to wash your hands with some crisco grease and then afterward break out the dawn. Takes everything off excluding around your fingernails and you don't sand the hell out of your hands like you would with Dr orange or whatever that crap is called haha

I use salt mixed with Dawn instead of the GOJO the fine Italian pumice.

But I also have so many cracks and callouses my hands just flat out don't get clean. There are stains and scars and I just don't care anymore.

I have been known to put lotion on my hands before working with grease or gear oil if I had a funeral to attend. Makes getting your hands totally clean by washing a lead pipe cinche. And I have various types of rubber gloves for the sewer plant and for lab tech work that I hate wearing but always wish I had after a job.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

When cutting a radiator hose that is not a steel braided one you can get an easy clean cut with a razor blade with two easy steps

First put your hose clamp and tighten it where you want to cut so you have a straight line to follow, next apply any type of lube you wish to around the area you want to cut and to your blade, the lube strips the friction so razor blades cut through like butter and you don't have a rough cut anymore.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi all I just bought a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder le 3.3l v6 it had to have a crank shaft sensor and a distributor it had sat for about a year before these things were put in now there is a banging noise and it is like something is loose and swinging back and forth it hits the floor board of the front seats you can feel it with your feet I was told it was a loose heat shield but got under it today and couldn't find anything loose that could be making it do that anyone have any ideas

Hi all I just bought a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder le 3.3l v6 it had to have a crank shaft sensor and a distributor it had sat for about a year before these things were put in now there is a banging noise and it is like something is loose and swinging back and forth it hits the floor board of the front seats you can feel it with your feet I was told it was a loose heat shield but got under it today and couldn't find anything loose that could be making it do that anyone have any ideas

When does it happen? Idling or driving?

Punctuation is your friend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

If you have a leak/crack in your fuel tank and are leaking fuel out on the road or trail you can use a bar of soap and scrub it on working it in the crack to stop it temporarily. Cant say how long it will hold up but should be good for a few hours or so give or take

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here's one I just had to figure out on my new to me 75 280z, if you have security lug nuts on your car and lost the key or bought it without a key to get them out get a 12 point socket that will just barely not fit over it and hammer it on. Then you'll be able to turn it off with the breaker bar. This is all I fo easily found on the internet but the real tip here is in order to get the lug nut out of the socket get a scrap 4x4 and drill with a paddle bit a hole big enough for the lug nut but not the socket and chisel hammer it out. Far easier than holding the socket against a corner of something while hammering.

As an auto mechanic, I remove a lot of wheel locks. I have a wheel lock remover kit that works like the 12 point socket, but doesn't scratch the socket. The method I use to get the nut out is to use a deep socket that is just a bit larger than the nut and use that as my anvil. The nut will fit into the socket and the removal socket will be supported by the rim of the deep socket. Then I use the hammer and punch to knock the nut out of the remover socket. 

Couple years ago, Chrysler Corp found a way to defeat the easy wheel lock removal without a key by putting a hardened ring around the outside of the nut that free spins. With that style, if you don't have a key, best bet is to weld a nut on or break out the drill. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...