Power Windows

Guest andyGravity

Guest andyGravity

My '97 SE has about 155,000 miles. Has anyone heard of this?

Left Rear power window will go down, but not up. This was intermittant for a while, and silicone lube in the track didn't seem to help. Both switches, drivers master and LR window switch fail the same way. These days, its' no longer going up at all.

Ok...now the right front is exhibiting the same symptoms....

Could this be a relay? ...or something cheaper than a $500 repair?

Thanx!

Have the same problem. Dealer says there is no ground at the master switch on the drivers door (all the windows ground through the master switch apparently on the 02's, not sure about older models). Have been told I need a new master switch at $220 cdn.

I had a similar problem with my 95. Turns out all I had to do was take the switches out of the door, take'em apart so I could get to the contact points. Then I just wrapped some sandpaper around a butter knife and shined them up real nice... No more problems outa the windows after that...

I don't know if this is like your problem, but it could be worth it to check it out... For me it saved me big $$$. I was about to buy a new master switch, but the fix ended up costing about .35cents worth in sandpaper.

• 7 years later...

Just now encountering a similar problem, where the passenger door window switch will put that window down, but not up. The master switch will put that window back up, though.

I removed the switch, and the wiring harness has 12 volts on the 2nd and 4th wires, if I recall correctly, from the white wire. The switch has continuity between the power and the second and third posts when I operate the switch up or down, respectively. After I replaced the switch, it worked, surprisingly, but only for one up and down sequence, before quitting on me again.

The window sounds like it is struggling more than the others when moving, so I am going to do the silicone spray thing next.

I had a similar problem on my pass rear window, would go one way from the door switch and work fine both ways from the master switch turned out there was a broken wire under the pass. seat.

• 3 years later...

Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I just found it in a search...

Something to consider:

Many times when I am diagnosing power window/door lock problems one area I look is the harness that runs from the door to the vehicle through the rubber boot...

Reason for this, (especially on the drivers door) is because it is opened and closed constantly, more so than the other doors...

The wires in that rubber boot bend and straighten over and over...and more often then not if there is an issue that appears to be switch related, but you have done everything to fix...it will be in that harness.

Check the wiring harness for breaks if all else fails...

Just my .02