How To Remove "4x4" Emblem?

mws

In figuring out the luggage rack for my '87, I noticed the little 4x4 emblem on the side behind the doors is in a pretty good spot to mount the crossbar. It would be cool if I could use that emblem as a cover over the mount holes when the rack is not in place.

How is that emblem attached?

I thought it just popped off, as it was used as a mounting point for the rare OEM light bar.

Will investigate further later (trucks sitting at home)

It covers the mount for either a light bar or a rack option they had. If I remember when I looked at he inside of mine there were 2 nuts pre-welded in place and the 4x4 emblem was just glued into those.

IIRC, it's mostly glued in place with silicon adhesive. I ran a razor blade under it a few times as I pried it off with a flat blade screwdriver. Just be careful not to put too much pressure on it while prying.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys I got some factory roof lights off a Pathy in the junkyard. I want to keep my (87' 2door) 4x4 emblems when I do the install. Is there a recommended adhesive when putting them back? I would also like to use the same adhesive on my hood vents as well. Thanks for any help.

Yea, got lights, running board, & small luggage rack for 100$. I'm affraid i'll loose my emblems if I use silicon, but they need to be removable for repairs & whatnot on the lights.

dang man. you better snatch that factory light bar.

To re-adhere the emblems, use Monkey Snot or Gorilla Snot as it is called. Someone mentioned the 'official' name in the last 2 days but I can't remember. I'm sure the local auto supply guy willl know what you mean...

B

Hey guys, I used 3M Marine Goop to adhere the original 4x4 emblems. will let you know if any problems. To remove emblems used a long razor knife and cut the adhesive. Tried first to use flat screw driver but emblem began chipping.

I have the emblems that came with the light. they are dark grey with black raised letters. Free to anyone that wants them as long as postage doesn't exceed $5 US+/-. PM me with mailing address if interested.