Headlight problem

Guest misha1976

Guest misha1976

I have a 94 PF and today when I left work the passenger headlight was on but the headlight switch on the column was off and hasn't been turned on in the last day or two. It won't shut off no matter what I try, I have made sure that everything is off including the alarm and it just stays on. I have had to unplug it from the headlamp to get it to turn off so it won't kill my battery. Has anyone had any problems like this? Any suggestions as to why it is doing this? Or how to fix it?

Hey, I had the same problem. I got the light to go off by pulling a fuse that's under the hood and on top of the passenger side fender wheel. When I did this the lights seemed to work normal, but after a while one headlight didn't work so I put the fuse back in. Low and behold the lights were working normal again. It's being doing this same thing off and on for the past 3 or so years. Unforturnately, I haven't been able to isolate why. Maybe an itermittently faulty ground or something.

:shrug:

heh, I had the exact same problem. Thought it was a loose wire or bad ground at first. Then a few weeks ago the entire system went all screwy. Lights would stay on, driver side headlight would blink with the right hand blinker, one was on high the other on low...etc.

Finally took the cover off of my sterring column and saw the the switch for the headlight/blinker combo had been melted away at the connector. Ordered a new switch, but couldn't find the connector end that i also needed. luckely the way it melted the connector was still usable and I haven't had any problem since.

you know, i seriously think this is because of the lack of relays on the circuit as pointed out my 88.

the new part cost me like 50 bucks, and 40 in shipping. a little rewiring definatly would have been/ is still worth it.

Adding a relay to the circuit is not a bad idea. Though I generally like to keep things simple, this is one case the benefits would seem to out weight the risks. A relay with higher amp rated contacts may eliminate the problems forever and, even if it doesn't, it would sure be a lote easier to clean or replace the relay than taking the column switch out ever year.

Another thought I had was to replace the light switch with a rocker switch and mount it to the dash in one of those unused positions (I have 1 or 2 left after adding the same for fog lights). A 2 poll / 3 position switch would support parking lights as well.

• 4 weeks later...