So you want to lift your 96-up Pathy?

Just a newbie here with some concerns about a lift I'm installing. On a 97 Pathfinder. I'll be using KYB struts, BDS Shocks, and BDS springs. I'll also be installing Warn locking hubs. I'm told by the shop that it should lift it 2 inches, possibly a bit more. My concerns are to do with the brake lines, and abs wiring. Will they be long enough?

Also, are there any other parts I should replace while I'm there? I'll be doing the front brakes at the same time, as well as front ball joints. I had thought of replacing the bushings at the top of the struts. I just want to do it right.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am finishing up the installation of the AC lift springs, KYB struts, and RS5000 shocks and have some fairly strong opinions on the process. Still having issues getting the front put together so I can't comment on the ride yet. The truck looks great with the rear complete and the front jacked up about where it will sit when finished.

Here is the short version -

DON'T buy Rancho RS5000 shocks for R50 Pathfinders, EXPECT installation to take at least 10 hours of work your first time in a home garage, DON'T start this project without having a mechanic you trust with the proper hydraulic press willing to assemble the strut packages - those pansy screw MacPherson strut compressors won't cut it on the bigger and stiffer lift springs.

And if you want to hear about the nitty-gritty

http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2007/12/insta...on-my-2001.html

Well, the parts sat in my garage for a while before I finally got the time to tackle the lift. It took me a couple of days, but I did a lot of extra's in the process. And yeah, those springs are a bit tough to squeeze into the struts. Luckily I have a simple strut compressor, and some coilspring compressors that helped get the last bit of squeeze. The most difficult part of the project. Everything that was new was painted flat black. I'm not into silver struts and white shocks. So although it's lifted, everything underneath looks sort of stock.

I'll need to get an alignment, as I wasn't sure where to set the camber bolts that came with the kit. At this point the ride is great. Better then stock comfort wise. The cd player skips less. The only drawback at this point is it leans more going around corners.

My concern now is the tires I have waiting to be installed. Toyo 30"x9.5". Not a lot bigger, but I'm afraid they will rub the struts. I just got the stock 15" chrome wheels with black plastic centre caps. I know for sure I'll never be able to run chains on the front unless I get rims with a different offset. I'd rather not.

Hey guys, we have almost finish a complete 5 inch lift kit,

We have full custom front struts(coil over style)

custom longer lower control arms, custom wound rear springs, these can be do for ride or extra load carrying,

lower panhard rod,sub frame spacers, steering extenion, brake lines, brackets etc

I currently run 33/12.50x15 mugrel muddies, with a 2 1/2 inch lift, lower arms, and cut front guards.

http://mypathy.com/gallery2/v/brens+path/

pictures of my pathy can be seen here.

• 2 weeks later...
will stock struts and shocks(sachs) work with OME springs, or are the OME springs/struts longer? is sachs a good brand?

I have found that there is so many shock/spring combo's out there that it really ends up being whatever your happy with, sach's, ome, gabriel, monroe, pedders etc all have good points and bad points,

We went out and found someone that would make new springs and full length custom struts(5 inchs longer than standard) to suit our own design.

That took a long time, more than 6 mths ringing and chatting to people in the industry to find someone that would listen to us and work with us.

The new struts add 4 1/2 inchs of compression and more than 5 inchs more extension over standard, we went the same way with the rear springs and shocks, they are full length custom stuff, just think guys, 5 inchs higher a but will still compress to same depth as the original and more than 7 inchs more extension than originals.

There are some that love ome stuff and some don't, me personally, i have found that all the aftermarket equipment on the market for R50 pathy's has left me wanting more, bars(front and rear), snorkels...what a joke, sump guards, and more.

I have spent the last 12mths designing tube bars(winch and non winch) front and rear, high mount towbar(more than 7 inchs more height than original) and now the full high lift suspenion, the only aust legal 5 inch lift.

Next in the making is a full replacement front suspension set-up, it is a bolt in frame, spring and shock mounts, solid diff, new brakes, driveshaft, brake lines, wiring for ABS,new shocks and springs bolts, nuts, etc

Yes bolt in, no welding

It will give R50 pathy's a totally new outlook, more articulation than ever possible with the factory IFS, more variation in lifts and better load carrying ability.

The 5.7lt gen3 engine swap will also be available as a kit too.

I have found that there is so many shock/spring combo's out there that it really ends up being whatever your happy with, sach's, ome, gabriel, monroe, pedders etc all have good points and bad points,

but will the sahcs springs be valved wrong and not be able to control the OME springs? will they be long enough? etc.

I'm going to buy new springs and struts/shocks for my 99.5 R50. Does anyone have a complete list of all the pieces I should replace? I'm having a shop do it (not going to tackle it without my own spring compressor) but I'm buying my own parts and having them do the labor.

i dont' want to end up missing a piece and get a crappy cheap aftermarket piece in with my premium setup I'm forking money over for.

TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am new to this forum and a beginner to lifting techniques and requirements. Thanx to the info in this forum. I recently asked for the suspension kit for my 2002 LE pathfinder that is good for occasional weekend off roading and also comfortable with normal city drive and of course easy on my pocket. The reply was a full suspension kit that includes: 4 new coils (2 front and 2 rear), 2 front tower mounts and 2 front struts and a pair of extended rear 9000XL shocks at $770.0 excluding fitting. Is this good? :unsure:

The other thing is, I was recommended to buy 2 camber alignment kits that are sold for $30.00 each. Do I really need this?

Finally, nothing was mentioned about "Warn locking hubs".

Please note that I do not have MT, but have lots of Sand dunes and little of mountain off road tracks.

Can anyone please advise me if I need anything more?

Many thanx. :)

STB

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on getting the AC lift with the GR-2 struts and the Bilstein shocks, i was planning on having the struts and coils installed by a local mechanic but how hard is the rear set-up? Is it very difficult to install the rear shocks and coils, or is it pretty much straight forward? Thanks

I am planning on getting the AC lift... but how hard is the rear set-up?

AC is a good company, but I got 3" over my old suspension and felt like it was more than the truck can handle in a suspension lift. It toes in significantly with a set of camber adjustment bolts. I still haven't installed the 2nd set, but I don't think that will fix the problem either. It is also pretty harsh. If I did it again, I'd chose OME 1.75" lift. The rear suspension is fairly straightforward, but don't plan on being able to remove the panhard rod unless you have a puller, and you have to be careful of the brake lines. You should read my blog of it linked above.

I was recommended to buy 2 camber alignment kits that are sold for $30.00 each. Do I really need this?

If you are using AC springs you need this and then some. If you are using OME springs, you need at least 1 set and possibly both.

Finally, nothing was mentioned about "Warn locking hubs"

You want em. Any lift puts more wear on the front CV joints. Replacing one CV joint is more expensive than the Warn hubs. The Warn hubs stop almost all wear on the CV joints when the hubs are disengaged. They save hundreds of dollars in the long run.

Because I want to raise mine about 3 and a half to 4 inches and all I can find are 2inch strut and shocks

As I said above, 3" is too much for this suspension. Your truck will look bowlegged in the front even with the camber adjustment bolts. If you want to go higher, you need to look at doing a subframe lift.

You actually want to lock them before you engage 4wd inside the cabin.

Can you leave them locked all time even in 2WD mode?

Your truck comes with full-time hubs or "drive flanges" that set the entire front drivetrain in motion whenever the truck is moving, no matter what mode the transfer case is in. This is what allows you to "shift on the fly" into 4WD at speeds up to 50mph.

Can I "shift on fly" with manual hubs or I have to stop every time I want to shift 4WD and back to 2WD?

What if I am driving in conditions where I need to switch between 4WD/2WD repeatidly, do I have to stop every time and lock/unlock Manual Hubs?

What if I am driving in conditions where I need to switch between 4WD/2WD repeatidly, do I have to stop every time and lock/unlock Manual Hubs?

Just leave them locked in times like that (for me, I'll do that during the winter when we get a bunch of storms)... when the hubs are locked, its basically the same set up as your stock hubs... you can then shift on the fly as you did before the manual hubs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all, I am new to this forum and a beginner to lifting techniques and requirements. Thanx to the info in this forum. I recently asked for the suspension kit for my 2002 LE pathfinder that is good for occasional weekend off roading and also comfortable with normal city drive and of course easy on my pocket. The reply was a full suspension kit that includes: 4 new coils (2 front and 2 rear), 2 front tower mounts and 2 front struts and a pair of extended rear 9000XL shocks at $770.0 excluding fitting. Is this good? :unsure:

STB

Hey all, new as well and have a similar situation. I use my 2003 Pathfinder Chilkoot mainly as an in town vehicle here in Calgary, and to tow dirtbikes on my trailer, but I am often in the mountains for camping/snowboarding, though not for full offroading as the main objective (that's what the dirtbike's for).

I'm thinking of getting 30.6" x 10.4" Yoko Geolander AT/s tires on 17" MKW M28 wheels. I then want to follow up with a 2" lift at a later point (I read earlier in this post that this size tire will fit stock, hope I'm not missing anything).

Should I be concerned at all about doing this lift after doing the tires and wheels? When I do I'm thinking of going with the OME lift found at this link. Got 100,000 km so I assume I should do the front struts, coils, and manual hubs. Anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Edited by BurntTimber

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all, new as well and have a similar situation. I use my 2003 Pathfinder Chilkoot mainly as an in town vehicle here in Calgary, and to tow dirtbikes on my trailer, but I am often in the mountains for camping/snowboarding, though not for full offroading as the main objective (that's what the dirtbike's for).

I'm thinking of getting 30.6" x 10.4" Yoko Geolander AT/s tires on 17" MKW M28 wheels. I then want to follow up with a 2" lift at a later point (I read earlier in this post that this size tire will fit stock, hope I'm not missing anything).

Should I be concerned at all about doing this lift after doing the tires and wheels? When I do I'm thinking of going with the OME lift found at this link. Got 100,000 km so I assume I should do the front struts, coils, and manual hubs. Anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

I installed LT245/75R17 BFG Tk tires on my 98 with no issues at all, all factory suspension. They are about 31.6" tall tires.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I see that OME makes heavy duty front coils. I'm assuming this will help level

out the vehicle and thus eliminate the need for strut spacers?

And for you OME guys, did you order the "medium-duty" springs, or are there

heavy duty ones for the rear, too?

Hi guys,

I've got a 2001 Pathfinder but am stuck as to what rating OME coil springs to use on the front.

I know that the HD will level out the vehicle better, but the ARB tech recommended against it unless I have a heavy bumper or winch.

Question:

1. Will I require strut spacers for the medium duty OME front coil springs?

2. Are there any potential problems with the HD springs in terms of alignment, wear on the CV joints etc.?

Thx,

Raz

Hi guys,

I've got a 2001 Pathfinder but am stuck as to what rating OME coil springs to use on the front.

I know that the HD will level out the vehicle better, but the ARB tech recommended against it unless I have a heavy bumper or winch.

Question:

1. Will I require strut spacers for the medium duty OME front coil springs?

2. Are there any potential problems with the HD springs in terms of alignment, wear on the CV joints etc.?

Thx,

Raz

I used the HD coils, no spacers. Alignment was easy, no camber bolts necessary. No problems with the CV joints so far, and I've done a fair bit of OHV use since the "lift." The OME lift settles quite a bit, so I think you avoid some of those issues, even with the HD in front. The rear is just a bit high still, but not really noticeable (the photo below is taken on an uneven surface).

post-10216-1237503816.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of doing suspension lift on my 2000 pathy and its gonna be either an AC or OME set-up. Since I live in Canada, I intend to purchase the struts and shocks locally while ordering the coils online. Will anyone be able to confirm with me the item codes? Also, can anyone kindly tell me what I'm missing out since I will get a shop to do the installation.

Nissan Strut Mount

Spacer

Strut bearings?

Camber alignment kit?

AC Coils

Rancho Struts (RSX17504 for the left and RSX17503 for the right)

Rancho 9000XL Shocks (RSX900096PFLIFTRR)

or

OME Coils (OME923 for the heavy-duty front and OME922 for the rear)

OME Struts (OMEN144S for the left and OMEN143S for the right)

OME Shocks (OMEN104)

Thanks a lot... I appreciate your input.

Andrew

PS: Do I have to get the manual hubs right away? Or can i wait for sometime?

Edited by dududuckling

I am brand new to this forum, just found it and it has helped me huge already with my 02' Pathy. I had a headlight issue that turned out to be poor contacts at the relay box behind the battery. Anyways my Q is this.

I have been looking to give this PF a new look since I got it. I am used to a bigger machine and would love to see 2" of lift with at least a 32" mudder or street mudder , flairs for fenders (mine came no fender flairs) and would love to go with an ARB bumper up front and something to match the rear as well as a nice roof rack with lights.

Where do I start with the lift , where is the best place to find the items I am looking for? And what wheel offset can I get away with using a set up like I am hoping for?

Where do I start with the lift , where is the best place to find the items I am looking for? And what wheel offset can I get away with using a set up like I am hoping for?

you can probably try 4x4parts.com or rocky-road.com