BFG Tires

I was driving down a dirt road while camping this weekend and got a flat. It looks like the hole is in the sidewall. Anyways, I called to find out what kind of warranty they carry and there is non. Has anyone ever tried to get a flat tire replaced for free? What can I do I don't want to have to buy another tire?

where did you buy it? Most places have a road hazzard warrenty where the remaining tread of the tire is factored in, and you get a discounted or free tire. Call the place where you bought it from, just don't tell em it happed off road, most places void the warrenty if it occurs off road.

What MaritimeMan said. Also, keep in mind that they'll often scoff at replacing the tire if it is sidewall damage, as they'll say it is not "normal wear and tear" to have damage there. Don't ask how I know this. :D Unfortunately, you may be buying a new tire. But check your warranty if you have one and/or paid for one, and good luck!

Also, keep in mind that they'll often scoff at replacing the tire if it is sidewall damage, as they'll say it is not "normal wear and tear" to have damage there.

it depends.. i never had such problems.. i think i only bough one new tire at one point on my car... if it's shredded by a rock they'll know.. anything else is road hazard..

good luck

It will really depend on the place you bought it. I had a tire destroyed on the Labour Day weekend while out of town (rivet through the tread) :( . The only place open was Sears, so I bought a tire there and took the old one back to where I had bought it (Tirecraft). They reimbursed me for the Sears tire and extended the warranty I had on the original tire to the Sears tire (included free balancing and rotations every 10,000 km) :rolleyes: . So check with the place you bought it. And for sure do not tell them it is off-road related or you may be out of luck :angry: .

I always get my tires at Sears because they have a road hazard option for about $12/tire, and they do free rotations every 3000 miles. Pretty easy to drop it off for oil change and tire rotation while you kill an hour in the mall. Sears are pretty much everywhere so if I needed one there would be one on most roadtrips. I try to time it when they have a sale so the BFGs are a reasonable price.

Too bad about the sidewall, I've had BFGs on every one of my cars and trucks since 1995 and I've never had a flat - but a sidewall puncture is something that most tires have trouble resisting. The Swampers have a beefy sidewall design, as do several others, but none are particularly nice tires to drive across the US on... on pavement, anyway.

Depending on where you live if you buy your tires from Discount tire or Americas tire you can buy extended tire warrenty. They are extremely easy to replace a tire that still has tread above the wear bars even with a holed sidewall. Our 4X4 club will only use their tires due to the easily replaced warrenty. Our club replaces at least 6-10 tires under warrenty with offroad damage every year. Note replaces not prorates.