Order New A/C compressor & 3 in a row have the wrong wiring

20 hours ago, adamzan said:

I'm seriously considering rebuilding mine. I found a shaft seal kit, and I'm sure the bearings can be sourced by my local bearing house. https://donbrownbusparts.com/products/compressor-shaft-seal-kit-dkv14c-d-mt2060

Found a spare compressor in a box of old parts at my grandmother's house.

Too wiped to go back out now, I'll snap a pic of the Xterra compressor plug tomorrow.

Spare compressor? How does that happen? lol

No worries, when you go the energy and time i'll be around. 

I am still waiting to hear back from both places. 

On 6/13/2024 at 5:16 PM, PamPoovey said:

Spare compressor? How does that happen? lol

No worries, when you go the energy and time i'll be around. 

I am still waiting to hear back from both places. 

Lol. I've had a few parts trucks! Guess I kept some things.

I'll go out to the X now.

13 hours ago, adamzan said:

Lol. I've had a few parts trucks! Guess I kept some things.

I'll go out to the X now.

Lol 

18 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

It's amazing how much room a parts car takes up once it's taken apart.

That's why a replacement like a a/c condenser or starter is really nice lmao

I went ahead and ordered the Four Seasons 58440 compressor since adding A/C back onto my car was on the todo list.

Sure enough it has the wrong connector. Looks like it's for an R50.

It's a single wire and there is an insert explaining why it's a single wire. The old compressors (rotary vane style) were prone to overheating and were 2 wire with the internal temperature switch on the second wire/connector and the newer compressors (piston swash style) don't require this.

Also included is a package of butt splice connectors with writing on the package indicating to use these to splice into the OEM wiring since the connectors may not match.

So, there you go! It should work fine.

I probably won't get to this for a couple more months but I plan to just go ahead and 'upgrade' my OEM compressor wiring by using a pigtail I'll cut off an R50 the next time I'm at the junk yard. I no longer have the original compressor; otherwise I'd just swap the connector over on the compressor side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, level9 said:

I went ahead and ordered the Four Seasons 58440 compressor since adding A/C back onto my car was on the todo list.

It's a single wire and there is an insert explaining why it's a single wire. The old compressors (rotary vane style) were prone to overheating and were 2 wire with the internal temperature switch on the second wire/connector and the newer compressors (piston swash style) don't require this.

Also included is a package of butt splice connectors with writing on the package indicating to use these to splice into the OEM wiring since the connectors may not match.

I probably won't get to this for a couple more months but I plan to just go ahead and 'upgrade' my OEM compressor wiring by using a pigtail I'll cut off an R50 the next time I'm at the junk yard. I no longer have the original compressor; otherwise I'd just swap the connector over on the compressor side.

Wow!!!! Thank you for sharing! When I had ordered the Four Seasons, no paperwork was included, just a sticker talking about the oil. 

Thank you so very much for helping me out! This does make things easier for me!

On 6/17/2024 at 2:56 PM, level9 said:

I love how their solution is to hack up the car's wiring, although I guess you can just use the old compressor's pigtail. All to save them 10 cents on the production line lol.

I didn't know they changed from rotary vane to piston style. Maybe we'll get better idle speed A/C performance then.

I just ordered a four seasons one for mine and a valeo for my Xterra (expensive summer!)

Here's a good write up on the differences:

https://www.toyota-industries.com/products/relation/compressor_kind_1/index.html

Edited by adamzan

3 hours ago, adamzan said:

I love how their solution is to hack up the car's wiring, although I guess you can just use the old compressor's pigtail. All to save them 10 cents on the production line lol.

I didn't know they changed from rotary vane to piston style. Maybe we'll get better idle speed A/C performance then.

I just ordered a four seasons one for mine and a valeo for my Xterra (expensive summer!)

Here's a good write up on the differences:

https://www.toyota-industries.com/products/relation/compressor_kind_1/index.html

Mind blown on "you cut the wire" 

thanks for the write up, it is well put together, thank you!

I have also ordered a Four Seasons, again. I hope it comes with the said paperwork since the first time, it sure did not! I would love to know if yours comes with the paperwork as well. 

12 hours ago, adamzan said:

Being in Canada it won't be here till late next week so whoever is first, post up lol.

You're on!👍 FedEX says it has arrived in town, but won't deliver til Monday🤞

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my 6th compressor. It lacked the notice/ paperwork mentioned by level9 but it did have two connectors in a sealed package. 

Now, just trying to figure out why the compresor clutch to kick on. I tried replacing the light on the dashboard switch a few months back. I am going  to double check things are properly plugged in -once my sonngets back with it from work. Lol