A stolen car story

Terrano

After reading the story by 88pathoffroad I remembered this one.

Intro: I cannot say whether this is done only in Russia, probably not, but there is a kind of business in Russia that is done the following way. People steal a car, then call the owner and tell him that they are ready to bring the car back for, for example, 5-10 thousand dollars. Of course, they only still cars that are worth paying such a "ransom". This story was told by my father (the main character is some of his business friends)

Story:

Some businessmen went in some city in our region to purchase expensive equipment for their factory. They purchased it, loaded it into their brand-new Land Cruiser 100, and went to the hotel. BTW, the equipment was about USD30,000 worth. While they were in the hotel checking in, they saw their car being driven away )))

In a couple of hours they received a call. A person said he was ready to bring their car back for USD15,000 They agreed about the meeting, called their friends in the city they came from and asked to bring USD15,000 in cash. The friends took another LandCruiser (also brand-new) and brought the cash to the meeting. On the meeting they gave the money and took their car. While they were handing over the money, guess what happened? ;-))) Somebody stole the LandCruiser they arrived on to buy back LandCruiser #1 ))))) So they had to bring another USD10,000 (not 15, the thieves were kind enough to offer a discount :D ) and buy back their second car.

That is the story. In some way it is shocking, but in some way it is also funny ;-))))

P.S. Both cars were returned in 100% fine condition. No scratches, no cut wires, even the locks on the doors remained untouched. Both cars had several thousands of dollars worth security systems in them (alarms, immobillizers, hood-locks, multi-locks, etc). You can't own a LandCruiser, a Lincoln Navigator, a BMW or a Mersedes in Russia without installing all this, not having it would be the same as placing an ad saying "Yo, take my car for free! The keys are under the seat!" But those who stole the cars in my story managed even get into them without even scratching the paint. How? Magic maybe ;-))

it is possible that the theives are very smart, and know the inner most workings of the alarm systems, recorded their VIN number and had a key cut at a deal or through a friend, and likewise the alarm remote programmed to the proper frequency. Its the kind of stuff you see in movies but it does happen. Its been happening where i live too (vancouver canada.) People will take down you VIN number, and licence plate number, take the info to a dealer get a key cut and just drive off with your car after you park it at your workplace. Its not terribly difficult to do, especially if you have an insider working at a dealership, because they are supposed to ask for ID and vehicle insurance papers and stuff.

Is there no law enforcment that will follow you to the meeting spot and arrest the individuals?

Is there no law enforcment that will follow you to the meeting spot and arrest the individuals?

Well... the problem is that you cannot prove the same people actually STOLE the car. They can claim they found it ;-)) I don't know if asking for a reward for returning lost property ;) is against the law, but I am sure that it is nothing serious. But if those who steal the car see you arriving to the meeting with policemen, later you might be faced with serious problems...

Those who arrange the stealing and getting the ransom are not fools, everything is thought about.

There are of course ways of solving the problem besides paying for the car.

But most people prefer to just pay and get the car back.

I'v seen some videos of russian police raids. You do not want to break the law in Russia, the police could care less about claims of "police brutality." In one video I saw they raided an apartment complex where a criminal was hiding out, they bust down the door and start beating everyone they see. Then they figure out they have the wrong room, and they go and do the same thing again this time in the right room. Talk about kicking hiney and taking names!

You could probably hire some thugs to hide at the meeting site before anyone gets there and beat the crap out of the thieves after the swap for a lot less than the ransom money. Hmmm... If that kind of crime is as common as you say, I might just fly over and make a business out of it.

"Mercenary Motors... They took your car? We'll leave a scar!" :aok:

You could probably hire some thugs to hide at the meeting site before anyone gets there and beat the crap out of the thieves after the swap for a lot less than the ransom money. Hmmm... If that kind of crime is as common as you say, I might just fly over and make a business out of it.

"Mercenary Motors... They took your car? We'll leave a scar!" :aok:

That's right ))))) You can do that. But it depends on who you know, and if your thugs will be better than their thugs, and if anybody will agree to mess with those who stole the car, as they can have some serious friends ))) Many "buts" an "ifs" here ))))

This kind of crime does not occur every day, but it happens rather regularly. Yeah, come over and make a business))) If you give me a share I will help you overcome the cultural shock and get familiar with Russia ))))))))))

seems thats a popular trick in ex-soviet countries. my dad is a missionary in ukraine. one time he got pickpocketed. they called him a few hours later and wanted all this money for it. he had like $2, an american express he had cancelled a few hours before, and on old drivers licence only for ID purposes. neeedless to say....he declined their offer and told them to keep it. dont ya konw they were bummed.

)))))

DSM_guy, you are probably right about ex-soviet countries)))

This business of "returning" stolen documents is very common in Russia.

You see, the process of re-issuing lost passports and driver's licences is VERY complicated in Russia. You have to waste time in lines, get uncountable confirming papers from different municipal organizations.... it really sucks... and if you are busy at work, it is nearly impossible for you to get a new passport. So many busy people have to pay, they just do not have a choice.

In addition, you have to get the passport back as soon as you can. The problem is that somebody could register a company on this passport, for example, get a credit in the bank, and disappear. Who will be blamed in the end? Exactly, the person on whose name the company is registered. So people prefer to just quickly pay, so that nothing bad happens )))

My parents were in Russia last year visiting Russian friends of ours. Given what they said, I can believe that story. The biggest scam they were warned about was crooked cops allegedly checking papers in order to find illegal immigrants. Once they had you papers, they would refuse to give them back unless you paid a bribe.

The other scam was employees charging 1/2 price admission to museums then letting in patrons in through side/back doors.

My parents were in Russia last year visiting Russian friends of ours. Given what they said, I can believe that story. The biggest scam they were warned about was crooked cops allegedly checking papers in order to find illegal immigrants. Once they had you papers, they would refuse to give them back unless you paid a bribe.

The other scam was employees charging 1/2 price admission to museums then letting in patrons in through side/back doors.

Sad but true ((

I guess all of this will exist until this period of shifting from soviet economy to a normal one;-) You know, if you were in Russia in the beginning of 90s... that was a bad time. Total anarchy, organized crime ruling every business... when you read about another businessmen exploded in his car you did not even as much as pause over that article, since it was just a usual thing ;-)

Now the situation is improving, and many things disappear.

But corruption will be hard to eliminate. You know, if it happens in China, where a official person caught on bribery will be executed through being shot.... what can you expect from a country where laws are not that strict?)) Corruption is a normal thing for all developing countries. The crooked cops you described is part of this "normality"))

There actually are some good things in Russia, good people, and even good cops)))) Though all these scary stories spoil the impression somewhat :D

Hell, they can have at it with trying to get CREDIT under my name...they'll get laughed out of the bank!

That is rotten about the car thefts... don't you have "full coverage" insurance over there? then, when the blackmailer calls...just say... nah...keep it...I'll get another one next week..but thanks! That would be the ultimate burn indeed! sly

when the blackmailer calls...just say... nah...keep it...I'll get another one next week..but thanks! That would be the ultimate burn indeed!  sly

Yes, it would be a great pleasure to say that ))))

We have all kinds of insurance, and even insurance companies that will not use all possible backdoors in laws they can find in order to avoid paying a compensation to you)) The insurance costs about 10% of the car's market value. Well, if I had USD80,000 to spend on a car, I would certainly be able to find USD8,000 on insurance.

Though people are greedy here))) The insurance business is not as developed as in States, for example, where people can insure everyhing... actually, everything in Russia is still young and undeveloped. I mean, spending eight thousand dollars on insurance (and if your car does not get stolen, you just waste these thousands of dollars :D ) ... many people do not like this idea.

I would never own a car that cost me some so much money as a new LandCruiser without insurance.

Edited by Terrano