Will this brush grill support a winch??

delavoie

I have a 94 Pathfinder that came with a stock brush grill. It is attached to the frame.

Do you think it would be strong enough to support a winch? It will certainly need some custom fab to mount it.. but would it work ? ?

thanks

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

thank you for your input.

Yes forsure.. i want to take that bar off, the side bars and the tire carrier and get them all sand blasted and re-painted. Figured i would wait till i get my winch, since most of the bolts are probably seized ect.. Any special paint out there made for this type of stuff.. a pait that wouldn't chip very easily?

Any special paint out there made for this type of stuff.. a pait that wouldn't chip very easily?

Yup. Rhino Liner, or any other spray/roll on bed liner. I suggest rhino liner since they have that awesome really long commercial on TV, with dirt bikes crashing, chicks, jeeps and trucks four wheelin, models, people throwin all kinds of stuff into a rhino lined bed, twins, and all set to some awesome but rock. The commercials are available at www.rhinoliner.com but they don't seem to be working for me right now.

If you want to try mounting a winch on there your best bet would be to put it as low as possible (Like the height of the licence plate or lower). If you go higher it might bend and twist apart.

yeah, i figured that would be the best place to mount it. I think i will get a steel plate welded between the 2 bars that have holes in them. Right around the license plate, that way that stress should go to the frame and not the top part of the grill, that would probably snap under alot of pull.

Thought i might just add that mounting it low wil SERIOUSLY compromise your approach angle.

Maybe cut the center out of you bumper, mount the winch seperatly in a cradle to the chassis, tucked in out of the way. Then see if you can fit the bar around it seperatly, perhaps welding the bar to the new winch cradle you have made.

That way you can put the winch in its best position possible, then the bar ontop purly for looks, or even to support the roller fair lead. It may be strong enough to hold that.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 94 Pathfinder that came with a stock brush grill. It is attached to the frame.

Do you think it would be strong enough to support a winch? It will certainly need some custom fab to mount it.. but would it work ? ?

thanks

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

No. The strength of the factory brushguard is nowhere nearly strong enough for winch duty, even with reinforcement. Plus the fact yours appears bent. My first brushguard was bent in a minor accident. I replaced it with a TJM bullbar. No comparison WRT strength.