Finally got my OME springs!

I am picking up my 98 Pathfinder tomorrow! I had a local shop install my new OME springs and camber adjustment kit. Those of you who have had the OME springs installed, how much did they settle? I will hopefully post some pictures by the end of the week.

Danny

Heck, my rear raised up about two inches while the front raised up about one inch. The stock springs sagged a lot at the back.

I just put them on last Saturday and they have not appeared to "settle" at all yet. Body lean is reduced as well.

Hear is a bad picture of the new lift. I got about 1.25" all around. My front fenders are sitting at 33.5" and the rear is at 35". I am very happy about the results. I tried to take a picture flexing, however it came out poorly. The difference from front to back is not as dramatic as it looks.

Danny

post-7-1115766471.jpg

Edited by dwrounds

Ok I am thinking getting the OME springs but I don't like how the rear is higher then the front at all.

So does the rear springs even out or do they seem to stay like that?

If they do even out how long does it take?

Is there anyway that you can make the front level with the rear?

Now will the Rancho(dial) shocks help this as You could maybe stiffen the front up and let the rear be set to soft. Until the springs even out.

I don't know but I don't like the soopped up look end just driving that would make me feel that I'm nose diving.

So can you guys tell me if any of that would work or have any suggestions on how to fix that

Thanks,

:beer:

Camber Kits? I hear every one talking about them but I took mine to the local alingment shop after I installed my OME springs and they were still within factory spec. Do you really need a camber kit?

Anyway here is a pick of OME springs on a two wheel driver. After about 3 months it still looks the same.

after-copy.jpg

The reason why mine looks as if it is drooping in front is because I backed the right rear tire up on the curb. However, there will still be a difference in height from the front to rear. You can either buy the heavier duty springs (which I hear are pretty harsh) or you can have someone fab you a spacer.

I purchased the camber adjust kit because both sets of tires I have owned have pre-maturally worn. I have heard from some different forums that Nissan aligned the struts the way they did in order to correct steering while in 4x4, but when you are not in 4x4, which is most of the time, it wears your tires out. This way my tires just sit flat and everyone is happy.

Anyone know if I could fit 32" tires with this setup?

Danny

Runnerman,

sorry I forgot to answer about the Rancho shocks. I do not believe that it would help with the ride height. The springs pretty much support all the weight. But do not take my word for it, others might know a little better than I.

I would caution folks about getting an aftermarket camber kit... I got a set from 4x4 parts and one of them failed after about 5,000 miles - the front tire rolled over, pulled the cv joint out and broke it and caused about 1200 worth of damage... Thank God I was just pulling into a parking space and not on the highway... I noticed a slight vibration on the highway leading up to this, so I wonder if it failed earlier and the strut assembly just let go while making a hard left turn into the parking spot... the bolt sheared and let the whole right side just flop over...

not a pretty picture!! try getting your truck aligned first without the camber kit!

I think I will be going with the Heavy OME springs in the front and medium in the rear. This should support the ARB and winch up front without sagging and with the stronger springs up front hopefully will even the pathy out in the ride situation.

Still up in the air with the shocks though heard some good & bad things with Ranchos. Might just go with OME also.

:beer:

The OME shocks are the best. I have even heard good things from the off road shops and Land Rover guys, and believe me- those guys are the pickiest guys around. Anyway, I love mine and I went with the Medium duty springs and shocks. The back sits a bit higher than the front- you can buy a spacer/tower to resollve that but I like it that way- it is very stable, rails around corners, and once you load the back with bikes/gear, it sits level. Anyway, with a heavy-duty bumper and winch, you WILL want to get the heavy duty springs. It may not make the vehicle level front to back though I have zero problem with that. Now if it were the other way around, it would really start to bother me. I can't feel it while driving and there is much less nosedive under braking now.

Edited by Flyer

Squam1,

Did you have to cover the 1200 bucks, or did 4x4parts claim responsibility. Was it a defect or a screw up on the installation? I am pretty concerned now. However, I question wheter or not they even installed it because I could not see it when I looked.

for the front Nissan struts i have a 98 chilkoot and i'm the second owner, i have recipts that he gave me and he had the front struts replaced 3 times. Twice Nissan replaced both sets and another time the left and a few months later the right. When i bought it he told me that they could probably use replacing, turned out that they just passed requirments. I recently replaced the susp. with the kit from 4x4parts.com, and am pretty happy with resluts. Maybe it was bad luck? But i have the papers to proove it and the previous owner never really took it off road(so he told me).

Squam1,

Did you have to cover the 1200 bucks, or did 4x4parts claim responsibility. Was it a defect or a screw up on the installation? I am pretty concerned now. However, I question wheter or not they even installed it because I could not see it when I looked.

The damage was covered by insurance (less deduct) and I had new stock bolts put back in... didn't want to chance it happening again. Both the Nissan dealer and the insurance adjuster said the bolts were of inferior quality compared to the Nissan pieces.

I didn't bother going to 4x4 parts as they don't mfr the camber kit and I thought that would be far too time consuming and difficult to get any compensation from them. I have since traded the pathy :-( because of the gas mileage (I go 100+ miles round trip every day for work...) so my modding days are over for the time being...

Well, my rear fender (top of the wheel well) sits 34.5 inches off the ground while my front fender sits 33.5 so there is a on-inch difference I don't care about. Both front sides are exactly the same so the drivers side does not sit lower than the passenger side.

The wheel rub is reduced quite a bit now. I don't think I will do much else besides get Skidplates and Rocksliders. The Pathfinder handles really well- I found out when I hit an exit too hot yesterday. It was a 25mph and I had to pass a Trailblazer and a Pickup that didn't yield and get onto the exit (I'm usually not this stupid- I should have braked hard and got in behind them). By the time I hit the exit, I was doing 65 so I braked a bit and turned anyway. I could feel the Pathy wanting to move out sideways with all its sudden weight transfer but thanks to the OME springs and Revo tires, it held all the way through without even squealing the tires much. That I will not do again! I'm glad I wasn't in an XTerra or Tahoe- I would have probably rolled over. darn Denver drivers don't yield :angry:

I just bought a Yakima Load Warrior as well- not sure why, except I can put my spare wheel on top- the 245-75-16 doesn't fit under the truck. Plus it looks cool :P

Edited by Flyer

I'm not sure. What I do know is that the diameter is 30.5- pretty sure that's in inches. Again, the size is 245-75-16.

That is from the Revo spec sheet I downloaded. Does that help?

I love my OME springs, They didn't settle very much at all and they really have a nice controlled ride. I'm running 31X10.5 Revo AT's and have no rub with the stock wheels on. As soon as my tires need replaced I want to do new wheels and 32's. I think they will fit without cutting or at least very little cutting.