Old Man Emu front strut help

I had a pair of Gabriel struts snap in half as i was driving (unlucky right?), so rather than do a factory substitute/replacement again, I'm opting to do like I did for my rear shocks+coils, and upgrade them to whatever the best thing that fits the car is so i don't have to worry about it again (I opted for the Bilstein 5165 25-187748 extended travel shocks and LR 9448/9449 coils). After reading up a bunch on this forum I've found that the Old Man Emu/ARB N145S and N146S struts should work. I'm just confused on how it mounts, does it use the original strut assembly or replace it? If I bought just the struts, and coils, could I take it to a shop and have it installed without buying anything else? And as far as the coils I think I've found what will work but I'm not totally sure (link here). I have a 2 inch spacer lift currently installed on the front that i got from SFCreation.com, and I'd like to keep that lift as I have a 4 inch lift in the rear from the LR coils and I don't want to be drooping too far down in the front. I'm unsure if the spacer lift can be used with the ARB/OME struts and coils though. Does anyone have any knowledge on any of this? Or photos on how the N145S/N146S struts mount onto the car? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Xander386

On 5/13/2023 at 7:53 AM, Aznpersuasion said:

Those struts are no longer available. They have been discontinued by the manufacturer for a couple of years now. Go with kyb. 

I'm confused, if they are no longer available then why are they available to buy on multiple sites? 4wheelparts.com, ruggedrocksoffroad.com, as well as desertrat.com.

58 minutes ago, Xander386 said:

I'm confused, if they are no longer available then why are they available to buy on multiple sites? 4wheelparts.com, ruggedrocksoffroad.com, as well as desertrat.com.

They are not available. Those stores do not update their sites. Go ahead and place an order, it will be cancelled. 

• 3 months later...

I ran into this same scenario just the other day. I ordered the OME N146S/N145S struts from 4x4 parts about a week ago. A guy from 4x4 parts called two days ago to confirm the part numbers and vehicle fit. He said they don't update their site and to check ARB for fitment. He also said the 4x4 parts inventory lists the part as discontinued, however he could see ARB had two OME N145S struts in stock. -- I had been using NPORA and this forum to determine the part numbers that would work/fit my 99 Infiniti QX4. So, I called him back and told him if he can order the parts, please do. This was today, so we'll see what he says tomorrow and I'll post back. Will let you know. 

• 1 month later...

Dunno if I got lucky, but I just installed a set of OME struts about 3 weeks ago which arrived new in box. Maybe old stock? Ill keep the site to myself until I pick up a couple spares, but its not hard to find :)
20231013-154444.jpg20231013-154316.jpg
These are coming back apart for boots and possibly a 1" spacer, then camber bolts and off to the alignment shop. I don't know about that spacer though... I like how it handles with the 31s so far and where I wheel those and a locked front diff can get me anywhere I desire to go. But the winch you say? That's for recovering those poor stuck jeep owners... and dragging logs for firewood :)

Edit*
Okay so here's the skinny:
I ordered from RuggedRocks and sent an email asking about availability. Here's what they told me: "
I recently shipped the last set that I think I'll be able to get... Unless we put together a 25+ group to buy it won't be in production anymore."

I'd take a spare set... anyone else?

Edited by Forsaken

16 hours ago, Forsaken said:

Dunno if I got lucky, but I just installed a set of OME struts about 3 weeks ago which arrived new in box. Maybe old stock? Ill keep the site to myself until I pick up a couple spares, but its not hard to find :)

I ordered from RuggedRocks and sent an email asking about availability. Here's what they told me: "I recently shipped the last set that I think I'll be able to get... Unless we put together a 25+ group to buy it won't be in production anymore."

No idea where Steve pulled those from but they have been discontinued for a while. I'd rather import tough dog struts at this point. Tough dog struts have a higher perch (actually lifts 30-35mm) so a larger tire can be fitted and they're still manufactured for the same price as OME.

Also, people like you shouldn't be part of a car community. Your selfish post/mentality helped absolutely no one. I get that these aren't available but some guys on here are looking for them and by letting them know where you purchased yours would help them tremendously. In the end, it seems the only reason you even mentioned where you got yours is because they are no longer available so no one else could also enjoy them. Next time keep your childness out of it and communicate like a mature, respectable adult.

21 hours ago, R50JR said:

No idea where Steve pulled those from but they have been discontinued for a while. I'd rather import tough dog struts at this point. Tough dog struts have a higher perch (actually lifts 30-35mm) so a larger tire can be fitted and they're still manufactured for the same price as OME.

Also, people like you shouldn't be part of a car community. Your selfish post/mentality helped absolutely no one. I get that these aren't available but some guys on here are looking for them and by letting them know where you purchased yours would help them tremendously. In the end, it seems the only reason you even mentioned where you got yours is because they are no longer available so no one else could also enjoy them. Next time keep your childness out of it and communicate like a mature, respectable adult.

Sorry my post offended you, however I was extremely quick to get the information out in the form of an edited post. I suppose the concept of first come first serve and lines at the supermarket are a thing where you're from are they not? Sorry for not being as helpful as you would like.

Are you offended that I wanted to grab a set of a limited stock, or that I (perhaps inappropriately) shared pics and a bit of offtopic information? Was it not clear enough that Ill chip in as one of the 25 people needed to get a set?? Honestly I'm confused!

Thinking further on your comment though I think it comes down to this question: Would you rather I be an asshole privately, or be a more transparent kind of asshole who is just frank and straight forward about it? Most people are one, I prefer the latter type though as a personal preference seeing there's little choice but to work with 'em.
Would I have bought the LAST set to sit on a shelf for a while? No. But if there were a few I would have liked to snap up another set for a future diesel swap pathy... if you wanted a set I get it, but dude... idk what to tell you, that's realtime forum information update for ya.

Edited by Forsaken

8 hours ago, Forsaken said:

Sorry my post offended you, however I was extremely quick to get the information out in the form of an edited post. I suppose the concept of first come first serve and lines at the supermarket are a thing where you're from are they not? Sorry for not being as helpful as you would like.

Are you offended that I wanted to grab a set of a limited stock, or that I (perhaps inappropriately) shared pics and a bit of offtopic information? Was it not clear enough that Ill chip in as one of the 25 people needed to get a set?? Honestly I'm confused!

Thinking further on your comment though I think it comes down to this question: Would you rather I be an asshole privately, or be a more transparent kind of asshole who is just frank and straight forward about it? Most people are one, I prefer the latter type though as a personal preference seeing there's little choice but to work with 'em.
Would I have bought the LAST set to sit on a shelf for a while? No. But if there were a few I would have liked to snap up another set for a future diesel swap pathy... if you wanted a set I get it, but dude... idk what to tell you, that's realtime forum information update for ya.

You didn’t offend me. I could buy the 25 sets and sit on them. I could even make a few dollars if I wanted to resell them….but I won’t. 

The point is, why even post that you won’t share where you bought them? If you weren’t going to say anything until you secured more for yourself, why share? That’s what children do. It’s a bad look especially on a thread where guys are actively looking for them (I’m not). 

You can be what ever A-hole you please just don’t bring it around here. If you look around, members on here like to help each other out. Obviously, you won’t add anything in terms of R50 discoveries or knowledge, but at least be thoughtful and considerate of others. 

8 hours ago, R50JR said:

Obviously, you won’t add anything in terms of R50 discoveries or knowledge, but at least be thoughtful and considerate of others. 

You seem pretty sure about that. Nice to know we have a great community here.

What exactly is your experience? I don't doubt that you have some, but lets hear it!
I have experience in R50 electrical systems replaced and customized entire wiring harnesses on two pathfinders now. I've assembled the powertrain of 3 R50 pathfinders, two of them 5-speed swapped, and I've been wheeling them since I could reach the pedals on top of all the maintenance required over the years.

Edited by Forsaken

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/14/2023 at 7:28 AM, R50JR said:

Good morning. 

I am having the same issue .

I purchased a 2001 Pathfinder SE , it has the OME 145's, 146's on it that need to be replaced am new to this forum and need to source something any help..?

3 minutes ago, JDMoorman said:

Good morning. 

I am having the same issue .

I purchased a 2001 Pathfinder SE , it has the OME 145's, 146's on it that need to be replaced am new to this forum and need to source something any help..?

Unfortunately they have been discontinued completely and cannot be found anywhere. You can replace them with KYB. 

1 hour ago, JDMoorman said:

Thank you for your response. 

Do you know of any other quality brands that are being sold as an equivalent ? Just enjoy working on this one my 4 yr old loves it!

That will be KYB struts

• Like 2